This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM may pull the license from Firesky's troubled Stargate Worlds MMO

The next week and a half may finally bring resolution to the curious case of Stargate Worlds. According to a former employee who has recently left the company, Firesky has until August 1st to raise capital or MGM will pull the license.

At this time, the company’s last hope appears to be a group of doctors who are considering an $8 million investment into the company. This cash infusion would keep the company alive, allow it to pay off back wages and launch Stargate Worlds. However, our anonymous source does not believe that the deal will get done.

Shane Hensley, who is heading up a separate project Firesky’s Supersition Studios, and also serves as the company’s Director of New Business Development, responded to the report: “We do continue to talk to investors, including the doctors.”

He went on to say that the company has never considered scrapping Stargate Worlds, and denied that the license was on the verge of being pulled.

[snip - read the full story at the link below]

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?f...ame=242&bhcp=1
    Last edited by Darren; 25 July 2009, 04:25 PM.

That would suck if they pull the licence
    WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
    Germany Chiefed Poland.
    England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
    England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
    France got Chiefed.
    Japan decided to scout America.
    America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
    America cut Japan to 90 pop.
    Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
    USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
    Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
    Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
    USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
    Hitler deleted his account...
    USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Not good looks like we are going to have another cancelled stargate game

People are going to start talking about a curse on the stargate video game franchise

I just hope some how they can save the game
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

Too bad. Stargate games do seem to have the survival rate of Carter's boyfriends. It's a darn shame. I've always thought that the series lends itself more to a single player adventure game, though. Not a first person shooter, but something with a lot of plot, and probably one where you have the option of playing each of the original characters.

One sad casualty of this will be the Stargate Worlds racing team which must have a different set of investors. They've really been doing stunningly well. Hopefully they will still be kept together somehow if this all falls apart.

Comment

Maybe MGM will take over. I saw this on the MGM site..http://www.mgm.com/games/

Comment

They would be getting a licensing fee, but they probably don't actually own the code. They also don't have the artists and programmers they would need to actually finish the game themselves, even if they did. The same thing would probably happen with Stargate Worlds as happened with Stargate Alliance--it gets shelved entirely. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try again, but they have to be feeling a little gun-shy about games at this point. It takes millions of dollars to develop one.

Comment

Pfft. I gave up on this game a long time ago, unfortunately. Shame a game like this has to go through this.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
              and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Another Stargate game will bite the dust!!

Comment

If this game too gets canceled - as it is virtually finished and playable like the last one - I'm gonna laugh and cry hysterically for a week. Make that two.

I mean, come on. This is so absurd. This is one of the hugest SciFi franchises today, with DVD sales through the roof, hundreds of episodes, millions of fans willing to buy, and all we ever get to play is Stargate the movie on Super Nintendo? I don't know if that is more sad or funny, somebody tell me.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Its a shame if it doesn't get released as Stargate has such a rich universe to draw content from.

However that being said i think it is/was a very big risk in trying to pull of a Stargate mmo. The Stargate fanbase really isn't that big when put in comparison to the size of the gaming public and you'd imagine the majority of those who would actually buy SGW would be Stargate Fans. If they don't get monthly subscriptions to pay for the costs of the servers and additional content then its a bad situation sadly.

Personally i think doing a Stargate game more along the lines of the normal RPG genre would have worked brilliantly. Something along the lines of Knights of the Old Repbulic or Mass Effect would be a great success if pulled off properly.

Comment

Curse of the stargate games imho.

But scifi based properties never translate well into games. Out of the 24245435423 star wars games theres only been a couple that were good, out of trek theres been.... maybe one that was even playable, lol?

Why dont they just liscense a wii game or something. Cheap and easy and quick to make. A mmos kinda a big step for a series that hasnt had a game sucessfully come out for 25 yrs. Maybe a DS game or something, especially since Sheppard loves DSes

Comment

I'm sad to see this to happen, really. I scrapped most MMO's, because they were killing my time way too much, and this one was something I wanted to give a try. Despite my disappointment they did not include my favourite race, Tok'ra, as playable race.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
                        (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
                        Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

This is freakin ridiculous. I mean it's pushed back for a year, then we think it's dead only to find that its alive and running, and then find out it's about to die!! Theres more plot twist with this game than lost and 24 put together!! IF it gets canceled I will Laugh then start screaming at mgm and then eat for like a week and <Snipped by Moderator>
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 July 2009, 04:26 PM. Reason: no need for coarse talk,thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Personally i think doing a Stargate game more along the lines of the normal RPG genre would have worked brilliantly. Something along the lines of Knights of the Old Repbulic or Mass Effect would be a great success if pulled off properly.
                            I think you're right about that. I think both the last two games were/are misguided in terms of gaming genre, Alliance being a FPS and Stargate Worlds being an MMO. The first makes it difficult to make use of the intricate history and the second is not only high risk but would have to have significant moves away from cannon to make it playable for all character classes.

Comment

Making the first major game (discounting SG-1 The Alliance) an MMO game is a big mistake IMHO. While I can definitely see that the idea has merit and could work, its just not a smart business move. Just because Stargate has legions of fans does not mean that said fans will gravitate to SGWorlds and be willing to pay a monthly fee. Those who would probably already play an MMO and might not want to switch over.

It also doesn't help that SG Worlds now faces very tough competition from the likes of The Old Republic and Star Trek Online (which has also faced a checkered development past). I have a feeling that The Old Republic would completely overshadow SG Worlds.

Then you have Cheyenne Mountain developing it. This is another mistake. You want your first game to be an MMO. You want to go up against the likes of Eve Online, World of Warcraft and The Lord of the Rings Online. You don't want to go with an unknown as your developer on your first game. That was an equally risky decision and it looks like in this case it was fail. You want an MMO as your first big game? You go with someone like Bioware who has a well-respected past.

I wanted this game to be successful. Initially this game sounded like it would work and work well. But MGM should have tested the waters for interest in a Stargate game first. They should have done an Elite Force style action game (one of the most successful Star Trek action games) or a KotoR/Mass Effect style RPG. If this game is successful THEN they should've talked about doing an MMORPG. As time went on, the cards just increasingly stacked against Stargate Worlds. First big Stargate game + unknown developer + tough competition = fail. If it had been released this year it might have made it but now with The Old Republic and Star Trek Online on the way, as far as sci-fi themed MMO's go this was fail.

On a side note, anybody know anything about that Firefly MMO that was announced years ago?
                              That is just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X