X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mallozzi Interview- Scifiwire

Spoilers for Season 8
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...5/11/11.30.sfc

Joe Mallozzi has a brief interview over at scifiwire. Go to link above for the complete story. A snippet or two:

Joseph Malozzi, executive producer of the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1, told SCI FI Wire that there will be a lot of new developments as the series begins its eighth season. "We're looking at the return of an old villain and sort of a Freddy vs. Jason-type throwdown, a big villain-vs.-villain conflict on a cosmic scale," Malozzi said in an interview. He added: "There will be a big change for a main character, O'Neill [Richard Dean Anderson]."

Amazingly, the longer the series goes on, the easier it is to come up with ideas, because you've got the backstories. You've got past episodes you can draw off of for future episodes. The longer we go, the more stories we have. I'm looking ahead to seasons 12 and 13."

So is the return of the old villain referring to the replicators?? Or is it someone else.....

Freddy vs. Jason smackdown, huh.
    Last edited by keshou; 11 May 2004, 03:20 PM.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Hey, Kes, thanks for the heads up
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

I'm all for optimism, but 13 or 14 seasons???? That's stretching crediblity. Of course, there will be some joker out there that figures JM's comment is some sort of guarantee. Que lastima.
      Nmom
      sigpic

Comment

I'm far too sick to deal with this right now. Can I just burst into tears instead? *sigh*

Comment

13 or 14 seasons????

Goodness that's a lot. Even setting aside creative concerns, I can't imagine that's sustainable just on budget alone. Shows get more expensive to produce over time, not less. After several seasons pass it becomes cost prohibitive to keep giving cast and crew even fairly standard raises and promotions unless there's a lot of turnover. Toss in the exchange rate changing against them and I just can't imagine how they're gonna get to 13 or 14 without seriously impacting what we see on the screen.

I suppose I should reserve judgement until I see it, but the idea alone is on the scary side of the fence. Talking about season 9 still feels a little premature. Ten is definitely getting ahead of ourselves. Fourteen's just plain nuts.
          *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Thought it was a typical "Talking Up" newsbite.
            JM is hardly going to moan and whine to journalists is he? At this time of year nothing is set in stone for Season 8,never mind any plans for beyond!
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I'm far too sick to deal with this right now. Can I just burst into tears instead? *sigh*
              So does this mean you're not sticking around for the whole 13 years??? I would have never guessed.

I'm a fan (still), but I kind of cringed when I saw that 13 year figure. This interview was apparently done when they were collecting their Saturn award for best syndicated show. Maybe it was the euphoria of the moment talking.

Of course they could jettison the entire regular cast after season 8 (maybe bring one or two back in a recurring role for some continuity), get a new young cheap cast and rename the show: SG-1: The Next Generation.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                Of course they could jettison the entire regular cast after season 8 (maybe bring one or two back in a recurring role for some continuity), get a new young cheap cast and rename the show: SG-1: The Next Generation.
                I'm still waiting for CSI: Chulack.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                  ... I kind of cringed when I saw that 13 year figure. ...
                  I cringed at the "Amazingly, the longer the series goes on, the easier it is to come up with ideas, because you've got the backstories." Made me wonder if he even watched season 7.

Comment

Hey, they did mention some backstory in season 7. Not a lot, but some.
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                      Thought it was a typical "Talking Up" newsbite.
                      JM is hardly going to moan and whine to journalists is he? At this time of year nothing is set in stone for Season 8,never mind any plans for beyond!
                      actually, things are sorta set in stone. they've been taping since feb or so, and i'm willing to bet the first half dozen shows or so are in the can, with at least the first 11 written if not more. traditionally they go on their break in june/july, so they're getting ready to wrap things for the half season.

my interpretation....the baddie that is back is nuby, jack's changes include two silver stars, changes for the others include promotions, a girl friend (hopefully) and a marriage
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I took the 12 and 13 as a joke....
                        I really don't think he was being serious...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          I decided I just had to laugh...it was the only way to keep from crying. Haven't these guys ever heard of quit while you are ahead? Not that I consider them ahead right now, but at least they are on top of Sci Fi's ratings. Do they really want to drag things out until they go out with a whimper? Personally I think going to a season 9 would seriously be pushing it.

They may have ideas but as to them being "good ideas"? That's another kettle of fish entirely. And backstories? They seemed fine with throwing out the show bible after Season 3, they had plenty of back story from that but noooo. At the end of Season 4 when they supposedly were having such trouble coming up with new ideas, they had 4 seasons of very interesting backstory with lots of ideas to be built upon and followed up on they had trouble with that?

Then again, who knows how many films may come out for them to "homage" in the future. Seems like that is where they get most of their ideas from anyway. "I've got a great idea, I saw this really cool movie over the weekend [insert flick name here]! So, how can we shoehorn the characters into the plot from this movie?!?! "
                          Last edited by epiphany; 11 May 2004, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I'd say 9 or 10 max... Then do movies and hope that you'll do better than the last few treks... I think that he simply is trying to say that he doesn't want finite story lines... He has a fear of committment it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                              Haven't these guys ever heard of quit while you are ahead?
                              Bonnie isn't the only one to worship at the Altar of Money.

I don't even wanna think about how many more "homages" we're going to see. When they start homaging themselves, we'll know they're really in trouble...

Comment

Working...
                              X