• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mention;

Brad has been prepping Sabotage,
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...n-set-trouble/

Comment

From Syfy's Twitter:

Thanks to those of you who sent me a note about the casting call for the Stargate Universe episode Sabotage. Please see my next two tweets:
      9 minutes ago from web

We're very sensitive to the issues raised by the description of the character Eleanor Perry.
      7 minutes ago from web

We're working with the Stargate producers to address this & ensure that this character is handled sympathetically and responsibly.
      7 minutes ago from web

http://twitter.com/Syfy

Comment

Recently, a casting breakdown was released to agents for a upcoming character in our television show, Stargate Universe. The character, Doctor Eleanor Perry, is a brilliant scientist at the top of her field, who also happens to be a quadriplegic. As part of a science fiction conceit that is core to our series, Perry's consciousness is temporarily exchanged with one our series main characters, Camile Wray, who is a lesbian. In the course of the story, Perry has the experience of being able bodied for the first time since she was a child. At the same time, Wray, temporarily encumbered by Perry's physical disability, experiences the unconditional love of her life partner. The language of the breakdown was insensitive and inaccurate, and we sincerely apologize to those who may have been offended. The audition pages that have been under scrutiny were from an early draft and released out of context. It is our desire and intention to portray both characters with dignity and respect, while remaining mindful of the ethical issues we're raising.

Brad Wright and Robert Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Wright View Post
          Recently, a casting breakdown was released to agents for a upcoming character in our television show, Stargate Universe. The character, Doctor Eleanor Perry, is a brilliant scientist at the top of her field, who also happens to be a quadriplegic. As part of a science fiction conceit that is core to our series, Perry's consciousness is temporarily exchanged with one our series main characters, Camile Wray, who is a lesbian. In the course of the story, Perry has the experience of being able bodied for the first time since she was a child. At the same time, Wray, temporarily encumbered by Perry's physical disability, experiences the unconditional love of her life partner. The language of the breakdown was insensitive and inaccurate, and we sincerely apologize to those who may have been offended. The audition pages that have been under scrutiny were from an early draft and released out of context. It is our desire and intention to portray both characters with dignity and respect, while remaining mindful of the ethical issues we're raising.

Thank you Brad for the clarification. I was going to cautiously approach this episode because of the out of context content I read, but I can tell in your post that both you (as well as Robert) are truly sincere. Thank you again.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
          and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Thanks Brad! I can only echo what Orion Antreas has already said.

Comment

Thanks Brad

And knowing that you and Rob are reading, I'd like to take this opportunity to say I'm very excited about SGU.

Comment

Here via SyFy's Twitter. Ethical issues like rape? Having sex with somebody's body without their consent? I hope that it gets addressed. We didn't see it in SG-1 (when Hathor drugged Daniel and had sex with him) or in SGA (when Lucius drugged all his wives and had sex with them). In both cases, it was simply shrugged off. With Lucius, the writers even didn't see what was wrong with that, implying it was all a big haha episode, after all.

Comment

I feel so conflicted over this. I am truly hoping it's because I haven't seen the entire script. But what you have said above, doesn't change how I felt when I first read the casting spoiler. Love you guys and your work...I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here. I am such a fan..to me it doesn't feel like Stargate..but then you are the creators..I am "just" a fan.

Comment

At the same time, Wray, temporarily encumbered by Perry's physical disability, experiences the unconditional love of her life partner. The language of the breakdown was insensitive and inaccurate, and we sincerely apologize to those who may have been offended. The audition pages that have been under scrutiny were from an early draft and released out of context. It is our desire and intention to portray both characters with dignity and respect, while remaining mindful of the ethical issues we're raising.

How I'd love to believe that you guys can deal with this with A) Dignity, B) Respect or C) mindful of the ethical issues, but I only have your past to go by. For instance: Would your handling of Perry's body-swapping be similar to how you dealt with...say...the rape of Daniel's character at the hands of Hathor? Or how about the dignity with which you handled the character of Lucius in SGA and his penchant for using the 'potion' to basically take women who normally would turn him down and get them to marry him and thus have sex with him (which, btw, was also rape)?

And how nice that the lesbian character will have the chance to discover her life partner loves her even though she's temporarily someone else - who just happens to be a paraplegic. Gosh, what a lightening bolt. Would it occur to you that such a thing actually does a disservice to the life-partner's character? Unless of course, she believes the change is permanent - which would beg the question: How could that be?

You've made it clear that the body-swapping machine will be used in the series to allow those on board ship to 'return to Earth' in order to be with their spouses (I can't WAIT to see how you explain THAT - probably with the use of your magic Science Fiction wand) so one would assume the swap will be agreed upon, in which case, top of the 'dignity and respect' list would be the understanding that the body swapped should be treated with respect - thus Eleanor having sex would be a no-no. After all, you didn't allow Teal'c to shave O'Neill's head, now did you? Of course not - because it was O'NEILL'S BODY. Hello?

But you'll do it anyway because you'll accomplish two things: 1: you think having sex for a paraplegic would top of her list of things to do and 2: your lesbian character will have sex with a man which you think will make the 'All Holy Demographic Audience' happy as little male, 18 to 49 (or has the age gone down to 39?) clams. *rolls eyes*

BTW: we won't even start on the whole "Calista Flockhart" thing or the kind of encouragement this delivers to actresses and their weight.

So yeah, you guys try to handle this with dignity and respect while dealing with the ethical issues.

This is me, scoffing.
                    sideburnssideburns

Comment

Brad,
                      I don't think "happens to be" means what you think it does. Eleanor doesn't "happen" be a quadrapalegic. You created her that way as the whole plot of the episode!

The only way to give the characters any dignity would be to scrap the whole episode.

BTW, having the episode directed by Peter Delouis, who made jokes about Norina's breasts during the commentary for Inferno, and kept talking about the Wraith's "handginas," doesn't give me a lot of confidence. He did know he was in public, right?

Comment

Originally posted by spankys View Post
                        The only way to give the characters any dignity would be to scrap the whole episode.
                        ^^ Please don't do this. It sounds like a very interesting episode.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                          Did that make you feel important?
                          I loled so hard at that avi. What was that from?

Also, I agree with SGFerrit. We should not be scrapping episodes just because they take risks and explore issues of compromised ethics.

Honestly, before we found out about this episode, people were already making threads about the morality of the long-range communication device. That, in and of itself, should tell you that this story is a pretty realistic telling...as we had already been speculating about the possible abuse of such technology.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                            I loled so hard at that avi. What was that from?
                            Oh, the gif? Yeah, I had to get rid of it since it was waaaay too big of a file. Oh well.

The original came from a scene in The Wire, and I snatched the gif of it from some LJ place.

Comment

@Sideburns/spankys - a little mean perhaps? Mr Wright very rarely comes by here and we treat it as a great honour when he takes the time to post. Moral stories are what makes sci-fi and all other genres/forms of media so fascinating. Without some controversy the entertainment business would probably stagnate

Wow! I'm definitely looking forward to this one I love moral debates. It will certainly be a tricky one to write though. I don't envy the writers and I wish them luck
                              Last edited by x Varda x; 14 August 2009, 02:37 PM.
                              McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Will 'remaining mindful of the ethical issues we're raising' include addressing the use of quadriplegia as a plot device and portraying the use of someone's body for sex without their consent as rape?

Comment

Working...
                                X