Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: TOS ~ What To Watch?

Please be kind.
    Do not post any spoilers for the new film.

I am new to Star Trek the Original Series, however I am familiar with The Next Gen. and Voyager. I really want to see the new film, but I want to familiarize myself with the Original Series as much as possible. Most of the episodes are resets (The series is essentially episodic: meaning during the course of an episode, few fundamental changes are made to the arc of the series). I have managed to work my way though the major episodes in season 1.

My question to all of you Star Trek fans out there is: which episodes should I watch to best familiarize myself with the Original Series? Include the valid films and please make your list in chronological order.

Here is a list of what I've seen thus far:
    The Man Trap
    Charlie X
    Where No Man Has Gone Before
    The Naked Time
    Enemy Within
    Balance of Terror
    Tomorrow is Yesterday
    Space Seed
    Errand of Mercy
    The City on the Edge of Forever

I plan to eventually go back to watch the full series. But I'll never make it through before the film leaves theaters. Help . . .

I love the entire series and am currently in the process of watching it all sorted by stardate (not that that's important in the least, it's just a new way for me to watch it), but here's a breakdown of important and/or best episodes:

The Cage
    Where No Man Has Gone Before
    The Corbomite Maneuver
    The Naked Time
    Balance of Terror
    The Conscience of the King
    The Menagerie
    The City on the Edge of Forever
    Space Seed
    Amok Time
    Mirror, Mirror
    The Trouble With Tribbles
    Wolf in the Fold
    The Tholian Web
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

What it comes down to mainly, is that the best awesome to crap ratio was in the first season, season 2 was about even, and season 3 had more bad than good. That said though, pretty much the entire series is better than most things on TV today, and is certainly better than certain later Trek incarnations which shall remain nameless.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can think of three outstanding episodes:

The Devil in the Dark
      The Doomsday Machine
      The Ultimate Computer

The Devil in the Dark is one of my favourite Trek episodes from all the series. This episode for me is what Star Trek is really all about. The "new life" part of the phrase at the opening credits definitely rang true in this episode.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

^^ Forgot that, Devil in the Dark is a great episode.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
        X