Star Trek Nemesis to Star Trek XI 2009 SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Nemesis to Star Trek XI 2009 SPOILERS

After watching the movie the day it came out me and my brother were discussing more about the NEXT GEN era of trek than the present one in the movie, as to how and why the Star of Romulus went supernova and collapsed.

After the events of Nemesis the Romulans were at some civil understanding with the Federation, or at least closer to a peace, why then did they sit back and allow it to happen?

To me it really suggested that something went bad or it was a deliberate attack on the Romulans, this got me thinking?

Candidates for a deliberate attack could of been:

Dominion
    Aliens from the Future still, who wanted to change to whole timeline, perhaps the pesky cold war really did heat up?
    Federation, to bring Romulus to it's knees, much like they waited for Quo'nos to fall in The Undiscovered Country due to praxis exploding.

surely such a natural event would of been detected before hand?
    sigpic
    In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

will explain, you can read the basic plot outlines by clicking on issue 1,2,3,4 etc etc

Comment

The science of it is more than a little flimsy, but the Countdown comics were entertaining enough.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        The science of it is more than a little flimsy, but the Countdown comics were entertaining enough.
        I certainly thought so.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The film kept things very simple. The Romulans' star was going to go Supernova. The Vulcans decided to help. They sent Spock and red matter to collapse the star into a black hole. Presunably, this would buy time to relocate the Romulan civilization to another solar system. Without a sun, the planet would eventually die. Unfortunately, Spock is too late... the sun goes supernova. He and Nero's ship are pulled in. Nero blames Spock, he thinks Spock intentionally waited long enough for the star to go supernova and wipe out Romulas. He exacts revenge by blowing up Vulcan. That much makes sense. What didn't make sense to me is why he went after Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            The film kept things very simple. The Romulans' star was going to go Supernova. The Vulcans decided to help. They sent Spock and red matter to collapse the star into a black hole. Presunably, this would buy time to relocate the Romulan civilization to another solar system. Without a sun, the planet would eventually die. Unfortunately, Spock is too late... the sun goes supernova. He and Nero's ship are pulled in. Nero blames Spock, he thinks Spock intentionally waited long enough for the star to go supernova and wipe out Romulas. He exacts revenge by blowing up Vulcan. That much makes sense. What didn't make sense to me is why he went after Earth.
            He went after Earth because he basically hates the entire Federation, and wants to "create a Romulus free of the Federation".

About that supernova... Spock says that this supernova "threatens the galaxy". What? Supernovas threaten solar systems, not galaxies. I really don't understand what he means.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
              He went after Earth because he basically hates the entire Federation, and wants to "create a Romulus free of the Federation".

About that supernova... Spock says that this supernova "threatens the galaxy". What? Supernovas threaten solar systems, not galaxies. I really don't understand what he means.
              Probably just a mistake on the part of the writers.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Gamma-ray burst.

Ironically, then, if the supernova were going to form a black hole naturally (as opposed to artificially), then it could legitimately threaten much of the life in the galaxy. How the use of "red matter" would prevent this, I have no idea.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Spock says that this supernova "threatens the galaxy". What? Supernovas threaten solar systems, not galaxies. I really don't understand what he means.
                  I took that to mean that if the Romulan civilization were to be whiped out, it would radically alter the balance of power throughout the known galaxy.

Comment

All of this is explained in the comic book.

Spoiler:
                    The star that was going supernova was not Romulas's star, but a different one. However, this star gained energy with everything it destroyed, causing a chain reaction that would eventually destroy the galaxy. It's never explained how red matter does what it does, but I assume it just becomes infinitely dense when ignited.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post

Spoiler:
                      The star that was going supernova was not Romulas's star, but a different one. However, this star gained energy with everything it destroyed, causing a chain reaction that would eventually destroy the galaxy. It's never explained how red matter does what it does, but I assume it just becomes infinitely dense when ignited.
                      Okay - as long as it's explained in some fashion, I don't have a problem.
                      sigpic
                      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post

Spoiler:
                        Interesting, but none of that was in the movie... The movie suggests that it was the Romulans' star that went supernova.

Comment

Interesting, but none of that was in the movie... The movie suggests that it was the Romulans' star that went supernova.
                          If I remember correctly you could see the super nova wave go past Romulus' star destroying it in the process before the wave hits Romulus.

Comment

I'd have to disagree. To me, the movie suggested that it was another star and the fact it would be a threat to the galaxy just made Romulus an unfortunate victim of this Star going supernova.

That said, what I find interesting is that 8 years after NEMESIS, Romulus is supposed to be destroyed in the main continuity (series and first 10 movies) so I think the destruction of Romulus needs to be explained properly at some point. Either Star Trek XI has completely retconned the other series and movies, ignore the whole thing as part of some other dimension, or we're to just consider Ambassador Spock's pre-time travel events as official while everything else takes place in these alternate universe/timeline.

So either way, I wouldn't complain if the destruction of Romulus isn't retconned at some point as not to happen in the main timeline.

sigpic

Comment

red matter is produced from a mineral (decalithium I think), that at the start of the countdown comics, Nero is mining for

the Hobos star (isn't Romulus' star) goes nova but is not like other stars in that it doesn't collapse but instead absorbs energy from the objects it obliterates and keeps growing

thus it threatens all life in the galaxy

Spock tries to save Romulus but is somewhat delayed because the Vulcans distrust him (and because the Romulan senate disagrees with him), the Vulcans are the only ones who can process the ore into red matter but won't give it to him even with Picards help.

Nero gets pissed off by this, and goes back to Romulus only to see it destroyed; which also convinces the Vulcans to help otherwise their planet would eventually be destroyed.

La Forge lends the Jellyfish for the mission while Nero gets his ship outfitted with borg technology at the vault (a secret Romulan base), he whoops a klingon fleet with it and then tries to stop Spock from creating the black hole, but fails, gets sucked in and you know the rest
                              Last edited by LanDodger; 22 May 2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X