Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant Dan93's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    right so an eight chevron address is between galaxies. and that some gate's eight chevron can't be used. but what would happen if an eighth chevron capable gate dialled one that couldn't use its eighth chevron?
    SG Vennix
    (Executive Producer/Creator)
    - Coming Soon -
    http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

    Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier
    (Executive Producer/Creator)

  2. #2
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    You would be stuck in that galaxy till you found one that could.

  3. #3
    Staff Sergeant Dan93's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    what i mean is could you do that (i.e. a MW gate, not Earth, to a Pegasus gate, not Atlantis)
    SG Vennix
    (Executive Producer/Creator)
    - Coming Soon -
    http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

    Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier
    (Executive Producer/Creator)

  4. #4
    Ship Figurehead Standin Rasunda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Captains seat, Daedalus
    Posts
    3,616

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    that would work, just hook up a ZPM and dial of!
    But in PG you would be have to have the control crystal.

  5. #5
    Staff Sergeant Dan93's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    oh... right.

    thanks alot
    SG Vennix
    (Executive Producer/Creator)
    - Coming Soon -
    http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

    Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier
    (Executive Producer/Creator)

  6. #6
    First Lieutenant Aer'ki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    That's not true. Pegasus gates are not an eighth chevron issue. In the gate bridge they are close enough to the MW gates to dial using 7 chevron and still can't. What makes them different and unreachable is something else entirely.

    My theory is that the wormholes operate on different frequencies, which is the reason why they have different color crystals. One gate doesn't recognize the other gate because it's on a different frequency. The Atlantis control crystal makes a temporary switch in the frequencies that allows a connection.

    If it was just a matter of unlocking the 8th chevron the Wraith would have been able to figure that out years ago and the gate bridge wouldn't need a midway station...it would simply connect through all the way.

  7. #7
    Second Lieutenant Guest750's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Then how come in the Fifth Race O'Neill needed to use the eihth chevron to dial a MW Gate in IDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Aren't you nosey?


    http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/...or_isblack.jpg

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant Aer'ki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest750 View Post
    Then how come in the Fifth Race O'Neill needed to use the eihth chevron to dial a MW Gate in IDA?
    I meant the reason why Pegasus gates couldn't connect outside the galaxy didn't have anything to do with the 8th chevron. Ida had a gate with red crystals, so it used the same frequency as the MW gates and therefore could connect using the 8th chevron(technically it's the 7th because the point of origin comes last).

    If you took a Pegasus gate and flew it to the MW, then you could dial 8 chevrons and make a connection because it's on the same frequency, but you couldn't dial a nearby MW gate because it's a red gate instead of a blue.

    Only Atlantis's control crystal could switch frequencies(temporarily) as well as the Asgard copy of the crystal that was used when dialing into the supergate. The red gate frequency wasn't stored in the DHDs so no matter how much the Wraith took the tech apart there was no way for them to make a connection outside the galaxy.

  9. #9
    Second Lieutenant Guest750's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    But the same dialing programme was used to dial Atlantis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Aren't you nosey?


    http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/...or_isblack.jpg

  10. #10
    First Lieutenant Character's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Starship Buttcrack
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Aer'ki View Post
    I meant the reason why Pegasus gates couldn't connect outside the galaxy didn't have anything to do with the 8th chevron. Ida had a gate with red crystals, so it used the same frequency as the MW gates and therefore could connect using the 8th chevron(technically it's the 7th because the point of origin comes last).

    If you took a Pegasus gate and flew it to the MW, then you could dial 8 chevrons and make a connection because it's on the same frequency, but you couldn't dial a nearby MW gate because it's a red gate instead of a blue.

    Only Atlantis's control crystal could switch frequencies(temporarily) as well as the Asgard copy of the crystal that was used when dialing into the supergate. The red gate frequency wasn't stored in the DHDs so no matter how much the Wraith took the tech apart there was no way for them to make a connection outside the galaxy.
    Complete nonsense. The color of crystals is for show, style and such. Thera are no wormhole freaquancies, only galaxy gate systems, which can be readjusted as needed (manualy though) for other galaxies. If you took a pegasus gate to mw, you couldnt dial a 8 ch adress because a) the gate wouldnt have enough power. b) if it did enough power, it would need the control/navigation crystal, like the ones atlantis and earth gate has, but such a crystal would allow any gate to dial any 8 chevron adress. This same control crystal apperantly makes freaquancies irrelevant too. The crystal is in the dhd too, as mkay took atlantisis one to the mist planet in season 1. The wraith simply didnt have the power to dial another galaxy (and/or motivation to do so and earths coordinates, or just gate adresses in general).

    Seriously, dont say someone else is wrong when you dont know what your talking about.

    To answer the op, the recieving gate doesnt have to have anything special to recieve wormholes, only the outgoing gate has to have enough power and a control crystal that allows dialing other galaxies and adjusts the gate accordingly. We know that atlantis and earth gates have this crystal, asgard unsurprisingly can make their own, and other PG gates dont have it, wheather mw gates have them is unknown.
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/2009wraithsig.jpg
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/SGTadvert.gif
    Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

    Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Colonel Rise Of The Phoenix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,306

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    I thought it was just the DHD that needed a control crystal capable of dialing an eight symbol address to dial another galaxy, when was it said that the gate actually needs one of these Character?
    I just don't recall it being mentioned that the actual gate needs to be tinkered with to allow it to dial another galaxy.

  12. #12
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    17,350

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    powerissue. MW gates can dial the pegasus gates, but require much more (exponentially?) power to dial so. the other way around: 1: no wraith could power an intergalactic wormhole, 2: the control crystal is for a pegasus gate what jack's upgrades were to the sgc dial computer. without the crystal, the gate cannot and will not dial intergalactically. infact, there is no reason to assume ANY MW gate can dial intergalactically aswell. SGC had access to DHD's by then and couldve copied its programming to simply get their own DHD. which wouldve allowed intergalactic dials.

  13. #13
    First Lieutenant Aer'ki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest750 View Post
    But the same dialing programme was used to dial Atlantis.
    Ancient hologram said that Atlantis was the one and only link back to earth...then it was said that Atlantis locked out all incoming wormholes except for those from Earth.

    The Key is the Atlantis crystal, the one that Mckay removed and took to the mist planet. It is what alters the frequency of the wormhole(temporarily) to allow a connection.

    This same crystal is what alters the Atlantis stargate to red frequency so Earth can dial in. All the Lanteans had to do was reprogram the crystal to reset the Atlantis gate frequency only if Earth was asking for a connection. Simple to do.

    Earth needed Jack's dialing program because Earth lacks a DHD. Sam's MacGyvered version is incomplete, she says so herself. DHD's can dial other galaxies without a power boost. Thor dialed Ida via Earth's gate using nothing but his palm device when he took Carter there to deal with the replicators. Assuming this is a remote dialer with a bit of a power boost included, there is no reason to assume that a standard DHD lacks sufficient power to make an intergalactic jump.

    Think about it. If a jaffa's staff weapon powersource can be tinkered with to power the gate...do you really think the DHD powersource is inadequate?

    The Killman...the wraith had ZPMs, are you saying that's inadequate to power the gate?

    If Pegasus gates were normal, why couldn't they connect to MW gates in the gate bridge? Earth had to establish the Midway Station in order to transfer from one gate network(red frequency) to another network(blue frequency). Otherwise, they could have just had the macro send them all the way without the stopover.

  14. #14
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    17,350

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    again something i blame to the CONTROL crystal, not to the frequency. i see it like using a new-version program on an old-version document. old version compatible with new, but not vice versa. possibly a revolutionary new code/base program/whatever was incorporated into the Pg gate. the crystal is a compatability(sp?) programm.

    and if intergalactic dials are possible per DHD, why didnt we EVER rip the powersource out (recovered like what, 47 stargates for the gate bridge? thats 47 DHD's), and use it to power an intergalactic wormhole.

    also, Aer'ki, ofcourse thor could do that. he dialled the asgard homeworld just long enough to do make a contact so the asgard gate takes over and powers the wormhole. we know of the principle in "Home", the same eppy you described.

  15. #15
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    17,350

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    The Killman...the wraith had ZPMs, are you saying that's inadequate to power the gate
    TODD had them. besides, you still need an intergalactic dialling programm, and an adress. seeing the amount of possible configurations, its impossible for the wraith to accidently dial the right adress. todd had a ZPM. yes. todd might have an adress. but he still needs the programm to do so. and seeing as he probably has no utter clue how it would even work...

  16. #16
    First Lieutenant Character's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Starship Buttcrack
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    I thought it was just the DHD that needed a control crystal capable of dialing an eight symbol address to dial another galaxy, when was it said that the gate actually needs one of these Character?
    I just don't recall it being mentioned that the actual gate needs to be tinkered with to allow it to dial another galaxy.
    Thats actualy exactly what i meant, the whatever dialing device needs the control crystal, not the gate itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aer'ki View Post
    Earth needed Jack's dialing program because Earth lacks a DHD. Sam's MacGyvered version is incomplete, she says so herself. DHD's can dial other galaxies without a power boost. Thor dialed Ida via Earth's gate using nothing but his palm device when he took Carter there to deal with the replicators. Assuming this is a remote dialer with a bit of a power boost included, there is no reason to assume that a standard DHD lacks sufficient power to make an intergalactic jump.

    Think about it. If a jaffa's staff weapon powersource can be tinkered with to power the gate...do you really think the DHD powersource is inadequate?
    I'll comment on this part since the rest is covered by killmans software example. DHDs CANT power intergalactic wormholes, how many time must we tell you this. If they could, atlantis wouldnt have had problems dialing earth in season 1. Thors device might either use the method that killman descried, or transfer lots of power wirelesly to the gate, either way the power consumtion is way more than a dhd can provide. Lastly, it wasnt the jaffa staff weapon that powered the gate, it was an ancient designed poersouce that used the staff power source somehow in its design. It could have also used the same trick thor used to just get a connection and draw power from destination gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    TODD had them. besides, you still need an intergalactic dialling programm, and an adress. seeing the amount of possible configurations, its impossible for the wraith to accidently dial the right adress. todd had a ZPM. yes. todd might have an adress. but he still needs the programm to do so. and seeing as he probably has no utter clue how it would even work...
    Maybe Todd didnt even have them, after all werent they stolen by the guys in Midway? And even if he did, whats the point of invading on food and going against earths sizable armies, or impenetrable iris.
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/2009wraithsig.jpg
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/SGTadvert.gif
    Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

    Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

  17. #17
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    17,350

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    the powergenerator drew all power from the Lnaq in a very short time, while it is implied that the normal operating is that its a weak, extremely long lasting one. so masses of energy drawn to get the first connection, then the asgard gate took over.

  18. #18
    First Lieutenant Aer'ki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    In "Home" they were going to draw energy from the mist...that has nothing to do with connecting to another gate and using its energy source. Besides, the gate on the other side is going to have the same power source.

    The powersource from the Staff weapon is what powers Jack's thingamagig. So we know the power is not that extreme.

    The DHDs that powered the gate bridge gates had to stay with those gates. Otherwise what powered them? Every space gate we've seen has had nodes attached that provide stabilization and power, not to mention DHD processing operations. The gate bridge had to leave the DHDs with them in order for them to have the power and the macros to 'save' the passengers and then forward them on.

    To answer your question why didn't earth canibalize another DHD? I'll give you another question to answer that. Why didn't Earth use the Prometheus or Daedalus to pick up another MW DHD and put it in the SGC?

    Also, Ida and Pegasus are probably not the same distance from the MW. The farther galaxy would require more power. Not sure which is which.

    And do you really think that Orlin's little makeshift gate could connect to the network when the Pegasus gates can't? It's not software compatibility, it's functionality, which means hardware.

  19. #19
    First Lieutenant Character's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Starship Buttcrack
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Aer'ki View Post
    In "Home" they were going to draw energy from the mist...that has nothing to do with connecting to another gate and using its energy source. Besides, the gate on the other side is going to have the same power source.
    Yes, it has to do with drawing power from the mist, as oposed to just the dhd, whats your point?

    The DHDs that powered the gate bridge gates had to stay with those gates. Otherwise what powered them? Every space gate we've seen has had nodes attached that provide stabilization and power, not to mention DHD processing operations. The gate bridge had to leave the DHDs with them in order for them to have the power and the macros to 'save' the passengers and then forward them on.
    yea, they needed what, 30 gates? because one doesnt have the power to dial directly, so again, your point?

    To answer your question why didn't earth canibalize another DHD? I'll give you another question to answer that. Why didn't Earth use the Prometheus or Daedalus to pick up another MW DHD and put it in the SGC?
    Why would they do that? That would just make another gate unusable, potentialy stranding people who might come though it. And their own stuff works just as well.

    And do you really think that Orlin's little makeshift gate could connect to the network when the Pegasus gates can't? It's not software compatibility, it's functionality, which means hardware.
    How do you figure that? His gate was very different from a normal one (mw or peg, doesnt matter), yet it could still connect to another mw gate, so if two completely different gates can be connected, i'd say its clearly a software isue.
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/2009wraithsig.jpg
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/SGTadvert.gif
    Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

    Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

  20. #20
    First Lieutenant Aer'ki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

    Are you seriously saying that the SGC's dialing computer is as advanced as a DHD? What are you smoking? Even Carter said otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Stargate's Inside Jokes.
    By Cherriey in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: December 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
  2. Stargate's the Sweet Spot
    By Ripple in Space in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 16th, 2009, 05:00 AM
  3. So. What IS Stargate's identity anyway?
    By Flyboy in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: December 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
  4. SGA is a clue to Stargate's future
    By All hail the USAF in forum Season Three
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: December 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM
  5. Stargate's Next Spinoff.
    By gatecrasher in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •