Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creation Vancouver Con 2010 (April 15-18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David listens to a fan ask a question.

The answer....
    Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

You see the little guy from the costume parade? Brady. He won the Jr. champion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQrUquiils
      Later in the afternoon, he was tearing down the back of the room in front of the mixing booth toward the exit. The gal in front of us called out, "Baal's Escaping!" with his mom on his heels. It was very cute.

A gal waiting with us for our line to be called during last night's autograph session was here from Germany on a work study internship. She had a copy of David's book, "Dog's Breakfast" and was very anxious about her friend (host family in Chilliwack) who was waiting patiently reading - off site - while she attended the Stargate Con. Canadians are wonderful! She was also realizing that she'd miss Davd when he heads to Fed Con in Germany cause she'll be in Canada! I hope she got her autograph.

Anyone recall the guy in row A with 20 years of military background? Did you know that they were celebrating their 24th wedding anniversary by attending their first convention after watching the show since 1997!? Yes, they're from the Seattle area too. Go Hawks! Sorry, couldn't help myself. :-}

I LOVED the David H. comment about the best acting tips coming from the Muppets. And Joe F.'s comment about recognizing how much more talent it takes to make SciFi TV situations believable and how he wished more had to learn how to make SciFi, believing it would make them better actors. Amen brother!

Great fun...and keep the MS pics coming!! Thank you from the back rows!!
      d

Comment

I add my thanks to Arctic Goddess for posting those photos. That one of Joe cracking up at whatever David is doing is my favourite.

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
        Thanks to Arctic Goddess and everyone who posts not only photos, but con memories. Everyone write up something! Don't think that what happened to you happened to everyone else and why bother. Each person's story is unique. You may remember something that no one else does or had a viewpoint that caught something that other folks missed. Shared an elevator with a guest? Caught a special smile from someone? Asked a question that inspired a great response? We love every word for every guest!
        Well, I'm terrible for remembering all the little details... particularly when the lines are coming so fast and furious from these guys... but one of the highlights for me was David Hewlett getting tech support from the audience for his MacBook. I've been following him on Twitter for awhile, so I knew he claimed to be a computer geek among the rest of us geeks, but to hear him talk with such genuine glee about that stuff just gave me a warm and fuzzy "ahh, you really ARE one of my people" feeling.

Oh and the geek/nerd/dork chart gag... I think some brave soul should link that to this thread just for posterity.

Keyframe - the Animation Resource -|- Multimedia Alchemist

Comment

Great pics AG, thanks so much for sharing.
          Chicago Con Attendee 2011
          Chicago Con Attendee 2010
          GateCon Attendee 2008
          Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

Joe's eye shading was a common theme at the convention this year while Creation tried out the "Theatrical lighting effect". From what I heard, no one liked it. People in the back couldn't get good pictures, and the actors couldn't see people beyond the first few rows.

Our very own Krisz has been taking notes from the panels Saturday and Sunday. Perhaps she can be prevailed upon to provide more detailed information about the panels. My memory sucks.

Comment

I do recall David teasing Joe about looking more scruffy and beat up because he, David, wasn't around...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post

Joe's eye shading was a common theme at the convention this year while Creation tried out the "Theatrical lighting effect". From what I heard, no one liked it. People in the back couldn't get good pictures, and the actors couldn't see people beyond the first few rows.

The lighting not only affected those of us trying to take anyway near half decent pictures, either from the back or midway down the auditorium.......for someone like myself with extremely poor eyesight and with a tendency to squint in the dark at objects in the distance, it was a nightmare.......even after being moved slightly closer to help with this problem and to try and alleviate the constant headache I'd had for 2 days, I missed all of Joe and David's joint panel due to excrutiating pain and feeling of nausea (signs of early onset of a migraine) due to the constant going off of flash bulbs around me in the darkness...I left for air and natural light feeling sick, disorientated and very sad that I missed probably the best panel of the day......to say that I'm not impressed with this new "innovation" of Creation's is an understatement and needless to say I am reviewing my decision on our future attendance at any Creation convention....

Deeds xx
                  Last edited by discodiva; 18 April 2010, 08:22 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Awesome pics, AG!
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Starwanderer! They are wonderful!! :-)
                      OregonJen

Thanks for the VanCon sig, Nathan!

Comment

Just a quick heads up to all attending the GateWorld dinner tonight......

With autographing expected to go late tonight because of all the celebs there and them all being part of the Gold Package...we're pushing start time back a bit. 8pm is the new time. Just a half hour difference. Hopefully that will give most of you the chance to get through the lines, get back to your room to drop off con items, and take the walk to Sammie J Peppers a bit more leisurely. If you get in later than 8, no worries! We'll be there a good chunk of the night!

We have nothing less than 10 seperate suprises for you....this is a dinner you'll be glad you're not missing!
                        Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
                        Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
                        Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
                        Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
                        Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
                        Con-Version Calgary 2010
                        C2E2 2013-2015
                        TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
                        Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
                        Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
                        FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                          The lighting not only affected those of us trying to take anyway near half decent pictures, either from the back or midway down the auditorium.......for someone like myself with extremely poor eyesight and with a tendency to squint in the dark at objects in the distance, it was a nightmare.......even after being moved slightly closer to help with this problem and to try and alleviate the constant headache I'd had for 2 days, I missed all of Joe and David's joint panel due to excrutiating pain and feeling of nausea (signs of early onset of a migraine) due to the constant going off of flash bulbs around me in the darkness...I left for air and natural light feeling sick, disorientated and very sad that I missed probably the best panel of the day......to say that I'm not impressed with this new "innovation" of Creation's is an understatement and needless to say I am reviewing my decision on our future attendance at any Creation convention....

Deeds xx

I can understand a desire to change the stage set up to try something new but it doesn't take a lot of thinking to come to the conclusion that a theatre-like production - raised or floor level stage with stadium seating, multiple changes to lighting through the production as backdrops and stage settings are changed, and where flash photography (or any photography) is not allowed - is COMPLETELY different to having to sit in standard seating (on level ground), peering around the person in front of you to get a view, in a darkened room for FOUR DAYS with flashes going off constantly as desperate people try to get a decent photo.

A four day convention in a hotel auditorium is NOT the type of production that suits theatrical - and badly done theatrical - lighting. Joe and David were made to suffer through footlight-provided lighting only, not even any overhead lighting. And despite constant HUGE hints about their problems with seeing the audience (from Joe particularly) absolutely nothing was done.

And that's the crux of the matter. Yes, try something new. But from the reaction from SPN fans a month ago, and the reaction from attendees and guests alike over the last 3 days, it would be obvious to even the most casual viewer that this lighting does not work. Whether it's a lack of concern or respect to those in attendance, I don't know... but despite the voiced problems, nothing has been done.

And on that note on my 6th year in attendance at this particular event, and at other Creation events in other citiies, I am no longer willing to take the time off work, pay the cost of international flights and accommodation to spend most of the weekend blinking, squinting, suffering through headaches, having my concerns largely ignored, and taking my very expensive camera away with very few worthwhile photos.

mfl

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
                            Thanks to Arctic Goddess and everyone who posts not only photos, but con memories. Everyone write up something! Don't think that what happened to you happened to everyone else and why bother. Each person's story is unique. You may remember something that no one else does or had a viewpoint that caught something that other folks missed. Shared an elevator with a guest? Caught a special smile from someone? Asked a question that inspired a great response? We love every word for every guest!

I rarely write reports (shame on me!) but when I did, it made the memories so much sharper. When I read other reports from the same events, I'm reminded of things that I'd forgotten or see another side of something.

So thanks in advance for all the images and words. I look forward to viewing and reading as much as I can find.
                            Best moments for me (attending only yesterday's and for the first time):
                            1. Meeting and chatting with fans while waiting for autographs. That made really made the whole thing worth it for me.
                            2. Michael Shanks talk. And the great montage of Daniel right before he went on. Listening and laughing to his stories along with an entire room of people that know and love his work too, that was definitely a great moment.
                            3. Chris Heyerdahl. Man that guy is so unbelievably fun. I wish he could have gone on for another hour. I'm super excited now about seeing him at Gabit Sanctuary Experience. Chris also just plunked down at a seat in the back and watched MS's talk -- I thought that was really neat!
                            4. The dynamic David-Joe duo. What a riot! "The most highly rated episode in the history of the universe!" haha. oh and there was copious reference to the geek-vs-nerd-vs-dork chart. i'm not sure what the person how brought it up was referring to, but i've seen this one and searching now came across this. Not that we need any further confirmation, we all know we're a little* bit of all three!

*definitions of "little" may vary.

Comment

Finally got a chance to read this thread (figure everybody is stuck at the con in a line somewhere so can't post)... photos are nice (thanks, ArticGoddess) but I am dismayed - yet not surprised - that Creation screwed up the lighting. THey may want to do the 'theatrical lighting' but they don't seem to take into consideration that a) the GUESTS don't like it and b) it makes taking photos very difficult for fans. But then if you cant' take photos, you'll buy more of their merchandise, so there may be an ulterior motive there

No, I'm not a fan of Creation because they've been operating since the 70s and still can't get stuff together. Seating is packed, is done improperly (yeah, that seat BEHIND the pillar was just great, thank you)

Every fan who is dismayed at the lighting should 1) write Creation, but 2) more importantly write Bridge Studios and go on to twitter, etc. to point out the problems. Creation only fixes problems if they're forced to. Othewrise, the folks at the August Chicago event will be in the dark, photo-wise.

Comment

I must say that the Joe/David panel was one of the best I've ever been to. There were SO cool together and hysterical ;-) I've been going to Creation conventions for many years and have attended a lot of their Stargate cons, and this, by far, was the best panel I've ever seen! Hope we get a repeat in Chicago ;-)

I also did the David meet-and-greet and really enjoyed that as well. ;-) I didn't take any photos because I was at the back of the room but I see other fans got some really great shots!

Comment

Working...
                                X