Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else just not feeling it any more?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else just not feeling it any more?

I still love Doctor Who. Don't get me wrong. I love the concept. The legendary nature of it, both in and out of the Whoniverse - the classic episodes are great and UNIT is my favourite fictional organisation ever, and don't get me started on how AWESOME The Brigadier is.

But something has happened...

I'm not as excited about Doctor Who any more. The new series I mean.

Torchwood fills me with anticipation and I'm desperate to watch Children of Earth, but DW?

I think it's because of how repetitive things have gotten. The amount of times that the Doctor (10) has offered the ultimatum, the amount of times he's mourned over Rose, the amount of times he's done his annoying bloody monologue about how great humans are, and how many times he's done ANOTHER monologue about how great HE is and how he's going to save everyone.

I've seen the trailer for Planet of the Dead - my only reaction is "meh".

I don't blame Tennant - but I do blame Russel T Davies. An over reliance on Daleks, Cybermen and repetitive themes has started to ruin the show for me.

Don't get me wrong, the likes of Stolen Earth/Journey's End and Last of the Timelords are fantastic. Even episodes like Fires of Pompeii are great... but just the SERIES itself... and indeed, the special eps like The Next Doctor....

Bored now.

So I'm massively holding out hope for Doctor 11 and Steven Moffat. Hopefully for me, Doctor Who will be back in shape after that.

In the mean time... again, at least there's Torchwood.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 03 April 2009, 07:33 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I agree with everything you've said, I'd green you if I could

Comment

I also tend to agree. There are some episodes that I've enjoyed in the past too. But as you've said in the many Daleks and Cybermen returns have turned me off the upcoming series. This past Christmas special IMO wasn't so special.

I do have some hope that Torchwood will be good, but with RTD writing almost three episodes, I tend to worry.

I'd also green ypu too, if I could.

Comment

I love the series very much but I also had it with the Daleks and the Cybermen. I am actually very glad that Moffat is taking over and I hope he keeps his promise to put the Daleks and the Cybermen in a nice little box, that can be dusted off in a couple of seasons. We need something new. The new trailer also didn't get me excited. I am happy to see Ten back in action but the story looks too much like "Pitch Black" minus Vin Diesel and the darkness but instead we got ex-bionic woman and some woman with the sight or something.
        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
        And he's wonderful.

Comment

I'm not terribly excited about the next special, because although each series has - for me - been an improvement on the last, each Christmas special has been worse than the previous year's.

Maybe this one, being an Easter special instead, will buck the trend.

Madeleine

Comment

[quote=huntress;9989124] <snip> The new trailer also didn't get me excited. I am happy to see Ten back in action but the story looks too much like "Pitch Black" minus Vin Diesel and the darkness but instead we got ex-bionic woman and some woman with the sight or something.[/quote]

The bolded part (mine) is excatly what I thought after viewng it.

Comment

I agree as great as he was RTD has run out of ideas and he has done the right thing by handing the reigns over. This is what the show is all about after all.... regeneration!
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

As with certain points in the classic era - management has indeed been an issue and I'm less excited about the specials or the regeneration, or even Matt Smith than I am about the complete overhaul of TPTB.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

After last season's finale, I was quite psyched about the specials... then we got Cyber-Voltron. And Victorian children forced to work in a sweat shop. That special, despite the wonderful execution of the 'New Doctor' and his TARDIS, ranks right at the bottom of New Who for me, right down there in the murky depths with 'Love and Monsters' and 'Fear Her'.

'Planet of the Dead' looks interesting and I hope I enjoy it.

I enjoy the show but I'll admit to having a certain malaise about the sci-fi I watch these days. I wasn't overly psyched about a new episode of Atlantis for its last 2 seasons but I was about Who; now I'm not very psyched about the specials, just waiting for the 11th Doctor and Moffat to come along. If RTD could give us 'Midnight' or 'Turn Left' on a consistent basis, I'd be constantly drooling for more Who.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

for once i have to disagree with Bennett. For me the Doctor just seems to be getting better and better. I don't even think it's all that formulaic. Generally speaking the Doctor wouldn't be the doctor if he didn't give those ultimatums of his and while I agree that the daleks are now over used and should be given a rest (i'd say about a 5 year rest) as for the cybermen i still see a lot of promise in them. they just need to be taken back to being the quite menacing enemy that they were in the older series. possibly by bringing back our universes cybermen rather than the pansy parrallel universe ones.
                    The next doctor as well was a great episode in my opinion, it only went wrong with the giant cyberman from hell. That's Doctor Whos only downside at the minute, RTD took a great idea and then ran with it so far he over did it. I'm hoping that steven moffat will do things a bit differently and i'm definately looking forward to matt smith coming onboard as much i would enjoy seeing DT for another season.
                    As for planet of the dead.......from the looks it to me it seems like it'll be an hour of awesome as always.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      I still love Doctor Who. Don't get me wrong. I love the concept. The legendary nature of it, both in and out of the Whoniverse - the classic episodes are great and UNIT is my favourite fictional organisation ever, and don't get me started on how AWESOME The Brigadier is.

But something has happened...

I'm not as excited about Doctor Who any more. The new series I mean.

Torchwood fills me with anticipation and I'm desperate to watch Children of Earth, but DW?

I think it's because of how repetitive things have gotten. The amount of times that the Doctor (10) has offered the ultimatum, the amount of times he's mourned over Rose, the amount of times he's done his annoying bloody monologue about how great humans are, and how many times he's done ANOTHER monologue about how great HE is and how he's going to save everyone.

I've seen the trailer for Planet of the Dead - my only reaction is "meh".

I don't blame Tennant - but I do blame Russel T Davies. An over reliance on Daleks, Cybermen and repetitive themes has started to ruin the show for me.

Don't get me wrong, the likes of Stolen Earth/Journey's End and Last of the Timelords are fantastic. Even episodes like Fires of Pompeii are great... but just the SERIES itself... and indeed, the special eps like The Next Doctor....

Bored now.

So I'm massively holding out hope for Doctor 11 and Steven Moffat. Hopefully for me, Doctor Who will be back in shape after that.

In the mean time... again, at least there's Torchwood.
                      #
                      .......Well I have to say I completely disagree about . I'm a complete fan. I love those monolouges with the beautifully over dramatic music and I'm totally physched about POtD.

But I agree the daleks would be better if they were left alone for a few series's then bought back in all their glory.

As for TW, I always thought it was pretty meh'ish but Im one of a few.
                      Perhaps Puff

Comment

What annoying me is that we keep hearing how great us humans are and yet we never see it or experience it on screen, we are pretty much always reliant on the doc saving the planet and him proving that we are dumb. And we when do something right, like blowing away the poisonous gas and making a new ammo in a couple of hours, hes always criticizes usor get a jibe in about our race. I really would like to see what we did in a time period that impress him so much.

Also last season was spoiled by one of the worst season endings for a long time, but that a other post for a other time,.

I think we need to see the doctor being humbled a bit and yeah the monologues do get a tad bit tedious, that will hopefully change when they get smith on board who has not done quite so many shakespeare's plays.

And the Sontaran, Cyberman, and especially the Daleks all need to be exterminated for a few seasons.

One thing I am looking forward to in the easter special is seeing the doc work without a tardus and a sonic screwdriver, well I am guesting he does not have because if he did he would just call the tardus to come a pick them up.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 06 April 2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The Doctor is ALWAYS without the TARDIS. I want to see a situation where he has to actually USE all its Time Lord technology goodness against an enemy, instead of being separated from it as a plot device. I couldn't understand why he didn't use it during the xmas special. It wasn't lost to the vacuum of space or teleported away, it was right there.
                          Taking away the sonic screwdriver is just cruel, though.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I agree with the Christmas special that he should of used the tardus. \\As for the him without his sonic strewdriver, it may be cruel but hey I liked cruel .

I think reading between the lines the reason they avoid using the tardus is because the set is not up to scratch and probably would not stand up to 50 minutes wealth of videoing. This is why they making a new one for the 11th doctor, and it not just because it was not stand up to scrutiny in HD format.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 08 April 2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The 'old' TARDIS was seen for extended sequences in the last season finale. I enjoyed seeing him use it to find
                              Spoiler:
                              Earth and then tow it.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                              X