X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You Could Invent New Technology...

I have an interesting question for you all:

If you could invent some sort of new technology for use in the Stargate Universe (both SG-1 and Atlantis), what would you create? Would it be a new weapon? A power source? A defensive mechanism of some sort? Or even a new technology for travel?

The technology can be whatever you want, for whatever race you want. Be a little descriptive and try to explain how your technology works. If your technology is implemented through a device of some sort, a brief description of the device is optional, but not required. I'm sure there are a lot of creative minds out here in GateWorld. Let's see what we can come up with.

I'll get the ball rolling.

HyperSpace Folding Drive: This technology is a method of interstellar space travel. The Hyperspace Folding Drive is a radical new Hyperspace Drive system that could make traversing the galaxies much quicker and faster. The basic theory beind the HyerSpace Folding Drive is pretty simple:
    Take a sheet of paper and mark two dots on opposite ends of the paper. Imagine you are piloting a ship at one of the dots (say the dot on the left hand side of the paper). You want to pilot your ship to the dot on the right hand side of the paper. Traditional HyperSpace drives create a hyperspace window that allows the ship to travel much faster than the speed of light. (Imagine a hyperspace window by drawing a line between the two dots on the paper). The HyperSpace Folding Drive changes the very nature of hyperspace travel: Now fold the piece paper so that the left and right hand dots meet. "Move" your ship from the left hand dot to the right hand dot. Now unfold the paper. Your ship has traversed the entire sheet of paper! This type of Hyperspace drive requires an immense amount of energy, (Naquadria would be a good candidate for providing this power, but Zero-Point Modules could also be a good power source for the Hyperspace Folding Drive). This technology carries some inherent risk: manipulating the very fabric of hyperspace and the time-space itself to achieve the "folding" element could be disastrous if something went wrong. To traverse great distances, the drive would create multiple "fold-windows" (imagine folding and unfolding the sheet of paper repeatedly,"moving" your ship as described above). This would make travel safer, as over-extended "fold-windows" could become unstable. Any race could employ this technology, as long it was advanced enough to create a safe and effective Hyperspace Folding Drive.
    Last edited by TechnoWraith; 04 December 2004, 06:45 PM.

HAHAHAH! The Tollan beat you to it! Ever seen 'Enigma'?

I'd probably make some sort of camouflage suit that could allow you to assume another person's physical appearance or blend you into the surroundings.
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

Comment

Hey, this is cool! Ok, here's my idea.

Planetary wormhole device: OK, instead of transporter beams, you would use this to travel from place to place on a planet. It fits onto an armband, and has a small screen on it in the top right-hand corner. Next to it, is a series of numbers, rather like a telephone with symbols underneath to separate latitude, longitude and sea level. Find where you need to go on a map by checking out its exact latitude/longitude degrees then figure out how high to go determined by sea level. After you've put in the coordinates, press an 'on' button to activate the wormhole, which will automatically materialize before you, just far enough away so that the person will not be disintigrated by the splash that would result. Many people can go through, and the wormhole only really shuts down after the hand device goes through as well. The device will not activate, however, if the coordinates are unsafe. i.e; you try to gate into the heart of a mountain.

I know this isn't exactly scientifically sound, but I use it a lot in my fanfic, so it's kind of cool.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime

I'd probably make some sort of camouflage suit that could allow you to assume another person's physical appearance or blend you into the surroundings.
        HAHAHA! The Foothold aliens beat you to it? Ever seen "Foothold?" J/K

Seriously, I'd invent the Star Trek replicator. I could end world hunger, possibly end disease by creating more and more vaccines (no problems with a shortage of flu vaccine) and it would be really cool too.
        Rocky

Comment

Yeah, but the "Foothold" aliens already did that, didn't they

Hmm...I'd say...

An implant made out of maybe naquadah that looks like a thin silver wire implanted on the skin of the temple and forehead, next to the right eye. It would look something like Chakotay (ST:Voyager)'s tattoo. It would allow whoever had it implanted to control Ancient devices thought-quick just by thinking it. Like a link directly to the Ancient device. Imagine, they could have one person dedicated to that, that would be like the avatar for Atlantis. For example, say Weir has the implant and she can "feel" the city...
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Iconian style gateways or my theory on the 9th chevron and puddlejumpers or a way to make every asian eyed beauty on the planet worship and love me

Comment

New tech? No but I wish the Area-51 geniuses would get their hands on the personal shields the Goauld use and modify them for use by SG1

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime

I realized that after I posted the original post to start the new thread. So I changed the first post's technology to "Hyperspace Folding Drive."

Comment

Pretty neat. And you could make a nice little bomb if worst came to worst in a fight.

What? Just a thought...
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                    New tech? No but I wish the Area-51 geniuses would get their hands on the personal shields the Goauld use and modify them for use by SG1
                    '

yeah seriously.. i dont understand how we can understand a hyperdrive and not be able to modify a simple goa'uld shield to work for us

Comment

It would make it too safe for SG teams to go out there. There's no point in sending people offworld if they're all actually gonna make it back alive.

Seriously!

Comment

I'd create the ultimate mobile phone-- one that communicates by thought. You dial with a wrist-dialer (a watch with a phone pad on it) and place an earpiece in your ear. You don't have to actually speak into anything, but every word you say aloud would give off a signal to send your thoughts through the earpiece to the receiving earpiece. Basically, the other guy can hear everything you say aloud, only mentally. That way, you don't have to worry about someone else overhearing your walkie-talkie conversations.

I'd also like one of those personal shield devices McKay found in Atlantis, only with a definiable off-button.

Also, a Wrist-DHD. I know it's been done before, but wouldn't it be great if SG-1 had one of those in case of emergency?

A zat with a stun setting, you don't have to worry about the old "two shots kill" rule.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

but someone could hear you talk to the other person. The only way to keep it private would be to send thoughts directly, without saying them aloud. but then...:

Carter *thought* Sir, I spotted two Jaffa over that rise
                          O'Neill *Thought* I see them, major. Go there and try to take them down. Quietly.

Sam walks up a rise

O'Neill *thinking* Damn she has a fine ass.
                          Carter *Thought* SIR!
                          Daniel *Thought* JACK!
                          Teal'c *thought* O'Neill

O'Neill: oops

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                            HAHAHA! The Foothold aliens beat you to it? Ever seen "Foothold?" J/K

Seriously, I'd invent the Star Trek replicator. I could end world hunger, possibly end disease by creating more and more vaccines (no problems with a shortage of flu vaccine) and it would be really cool too.
                            Actually the Foothold aliens couldnt't camouflage could they? And they needed to keep the real people hooked up to thier lobster-shell gizmos at all times.
                            [email protected]
                            http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                            One nation under dog
                            There of which I stand alone
                            A face in the crowd
                            Unsung, against the mold
                            Without a doubt
                            Singled out
                            The only way I know

Comment

JPrime, what's you sig mean?
                              If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X