This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tardis For Matt Smith

"The TARDIS is being completely redesigned in time for the arrival of the new Doctor Who.

BBC bosses have given the green light to completely refit the interior for a radical new look.

They will also improve the quality of the police box exterior for the opening episode featuring new Time Lord Matt Smith.

Production sources say the decision is being taken by new Doctor Who writer and executive producer Stephen Moffat, who wants to distance himself from previous show chief Russell T Davies.

He wants the arrival of Matt Smith to signify a new era, and also to withstand Doctor Who being in high definition. A source said: "It will be the most hitech, intricate Tardis ever."

Smith, 26, who will become the 11th Time Lord next year, will be the youngest actor to play the 903-year-old doctor."

Oooohh
    Perhaps Puff

Frack! I love the current tardis model, all the like knobs and switches, feels very personal to pilot... I hope they don't give it controls like the ships in star trek, that would be so boring.....
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I can just see it now. The end of Smith's first episode.

11 stood outside the TARDIS with a bucket and sponge, giving it a spring clean while the assistant sweeps out the interior...

*Giggles at the image*

Oh I can't wait to see him as the new Doctor.

Comment

cool
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I agree in that I hope it doesn't look too high-tech, but a new look for the interior is perfectly fine, although I'm not sure I like the idea of "distancing" the new series from Russell T. Davies run. That smacks of an attitude akin to "I didn't like Davies run so I'm going to change everything." I don't think that's the case as the new show-runner worked under Davies before Davies retirement from the show, but it does sort of worry me.

I did like the way they set the precedent for changing the interior design during Davies run though, during the 5 minute episode that takes place between Martha's last episode and the Titanic episode ("Time Crash") when Doc 10 met Doc 5, Doc 5 made the comment, "You've changed the desktop theme." Very clever and very useful.

Comment

Sounds like a re-start from the re-started Doctor Who series. I am not sure what to think of it. I rather like the current design and I agree that the charm of the TARDIS were all those knobs, switches. It always made me smile when the doctor had to use the hammer, pump with something that looked like an air pump and use a crank.
            He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
            He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
            And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
              Sounds like a re-start from the re-started Doctor Who series. I am not sure what to think of it. I rather like the current design and I agree that the charm of the TARDIS were all those knobs, switches. It always made me smile when the doctor had to use the hammer, pump with something that looked like an air pump and use a crank.
              Heh, I agree with you. It's quirky as it is. I hope that they don't go for something too sleek...

Comment

I hope they keep the organic tech coral! Love it! Change everything else. Besides, they'd have to explain why Jack's still got the TARDIS coral... wouldn't they?
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I like it the way it is I am really worried that things will change too much.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oooh new Tardis insides? Cool I look forward to it.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

This deffinately sounds bad to me ""It will be the most hitech, intricate Tardis ever."

Yes seriously dont do a startrek type deal, its going to be flat buttons and touchscreen panels and everything isnt it with windows tardis operatin system...i know it. im worried now...just leave it as it is theres nothing wrong with it.

So now we are going to have a new doctor...new tardis...and a new writer. He better be good thats all i can say or its going to feel like some sortof spinoff :\

Comment

awesome. tis about time they gave it a bit of a re-work anyway. i love the coral tardis but the doctor often made changes to the console and updated it so it makes sense. it's just a shame they will probably never bring back the gothic tardis from the movie. that was the best design ever.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

What I would love is, if it were even steampunkier then it is now. With steam coming out and things twittering and squeaking. So this is what it should be. Not shiny high tech a la Star Trek or Star Gate but pure steampunk a la "Howl's Moving Castle" and "20.000 Leagues under the Sea"
                          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                          And he's wonderful.

Comment

just thinking if the doctor regenerated at the end of s4 into him self buy diverting the energy into his hand does that mean that technically matt smith is the 12th doctor and david tennant is the 10th and 11th ???

Comment

Originally posted by Lils View Post
                              just thinking if the doctor regenerated at the end of s4 into him self buy diverting the energy into his hand does that mean that technically matt smith is the 12th doctor and david tennant is the 10th and 11th ???
                              good point.

Comment

Working...
                              X