This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel is the main character

After watching the Stargate film again, I realized that everything there is basically from Daniel's POV, from the revelation of the gate, to the first trip through the gate, to the life he started on Abydos -- and only the TV version started to tilt the center of the show towards the established TV star RDA -- so even if Jack doesn't come back in season 9, it wouldn't be such a huge problem in continuity if the show became more about finishing Daniel's arc, from discovering the way to open the gate, to his ascention and beyond. I have a feeling they're doing this already, anyway.

Just a way to rethink the doom and gloom that might accompany an even more Jack-lite season 9. ITS DANIEL'S ADVENTURE!

It is NOT Daniel's adventure. If it was then it wouldn't be called Stargate SG-1 it would be called Stargate Daniel. Stargate SG-1 is about the whole team's adventure and that includes Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel.

Comment

There are so many different opinions and interpretations of what Stargate is about. Some say it's Jack's story and the others are supporting characters. Others say it's a team show. Plenty see Daniel as The One With The Mythic Journey, and I can make a pretty good case for the show being The Story Of Teal'c

There's no right and wrong, it's really a whatever floats your boat -type thing, I reckon. Anything that helps some people feel positive about a s9 sans RDA is a Jolly Good Thing.

I wouldn't expect s9 to be Daniel-centric, but I wouldn't object to it either. I do like Daniel lots, and I think MS is capable of carrying the show as lead and Daniel is sufficiently interesting and versatile. I know there are people who disagree. I suspect TPTB are more likely to try to keep it team-led with Daniel, Sam and Teal'c each having a focus in the show.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Watters87
        It is NOT Daniel's adventure. If it was then it wouldn't be called Stargate SG-1 it would be called Stargate Daniel. Stargate SG-1 is about the whole team's adventure and that includes Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel.
        Seconded
        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom
          After watching the Stargate film again, I realized that everything there is basically from Daniel's POV, from the revelation of the gate, to the first trip through the gate, to the life he started on Abydos -- and only the TV version started to tilt the center of the show towards the established TV star RDA -- so even if Jack doesn't come back in season 9, it wouldn't be such a huge problem in continuity if the show became more about finishing Daniel's arc, from discovering the way to open the gate, to his ascention and beyond. I have a feeling they're doing this already, anyway.
          While Daniel represents the moral centre of the show, it hardly means that the show is "Daniel's Adventure"... it is a gross oversimplification of the many threads in SG-1. As you yourself has said, it is only the film that looks at everything from Daniel's point of view but let's not forget that the story has gone beyond the inital premise of the film and has taken a life of its own.

I for one will miss RDA if he does leave before the end of SG-1... he is still a refreshing foil to all the intensity and seriousnes around him.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
            While Daniel represents the moral centre of the show, it hardly means that the show is "Daniel's Adventure"... it is a gross oversimplification of the many threads in SG-1. As you yourself has said, it is only the film that looks at everything from Daniel's point of view but let's not forget that the story has gone beyond the inital premise of the film and has taken a life of its own.

I for one will miss RDA if he does leave before the end of SG-1... he is still a refreshing foil to all the intensity and seriousnes around him.
            Well said. I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble
              Well said. I agree completely.
              Ditto, Daniel is my favourite character but without the others it wouldn't work. I like all the principal characters, they complement each other and spark off each other perfectly. In my ever so humble opinion, of course!
              sigpic

Comment

not to mention that the movie and episode are two completely different case and CREW.

Comment

Don't get me wrong -- I love every other character too, I even loved Jonas! But I was just finding a silver lining in losing RDA, since I had come to think of the show as "his" first, and everyone else's second. And since the action in the film centered around Daniel Jackson, I was just saying that no Jack in S9 wouldn't be too far afield from Stargate's origins. Of course Teal'c and Carter are awesome and you could say that the story of SG-1 the TV show started when they met Teal'c -- he did come through the gate in the opening minutes, before we even saw Jack "again".

Basically, I'm trying to gird myself for no Jack in season 9, even less than he is now which I don't really love but have found less sad than I thought it was going to be.

Comment

Just a way to rethink the doom and gloom that might accompany an even more Jack-lite season 9. ITS DANIEL'S ADVENTURE!

Nope. I don't even agree that the film was Daniel's story, much less the show. Whether the film was from Daniel's POV or not, he wasn't really the central character as far as I was concerned. The character who changed the most in the film was Jack. And that makes it *his* story. It was about a man who found his way again, from the dark to the light. Who found a reason to continue living. And I know that a lot of fans say it was meeting Daniel that did that, but I'm sorry, I think it was Skaara. Finding a "son". And finding something to protect and believe in again.

As for the series, there's no way it was Daniel's story more than anyone else's. In fact, Daniel hasn't had a storyline since he returned (he really hasn't had a story unique to him since both Sha're died and we had the end of the Harcesis sub-thread); he's been doing nothing but marking time and walking in place. To this point, the eps centered on him haven't really moved any threads forward, and he's stopped being Daniel and doing Daniel things, and become a mini-Jack. So, the show still needs *Jack* things to be done, but doesn't really need Daniel things. Hard to say it's his adventure if they can't find things unique to Daniel that need to be done, seen or told of.

J.
                    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                      While Daniel represents the moral centre of the show,

I have never been able to see Daniel as the "moral centre" of the show (I don't think any of the others are, either. I think they all bring a unique moral perspective to the brew). Probably because I've haven't always agreed that Daniel's position on an issue or situation was the moral one (not to mention, the best one). This does not mean that I think Daniel is immoral, either; there have certainly been times when I've agreed with him. But there have also been a lot when I haven't.

(Of course, there is also the issue that what may be moral in an abstract, perfect-world thinking may not be in a real-world situation. While in a utopian society, killing someone who is not attacking you or someone you're protecting may be considered to be always unacceptable, in our less-than-perfect world, would it be immoral to have taken out Hitler before he wrote Mein Kampf?)

J.
                      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

In the movie, its all about Daniel. In the show however, I think theres far too many other factors (that dude with the Irish name, the brainy chick and that alien fella, whatshisname with the apostrophe) to boil it down to 'Danny's Tale'.
                        [email protected]
                        http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                        One nation under dog
                        There of which I stand alone
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

The show pushes RDA's name before the title of the series, so he's the star. It's a marketing thing. If you're flipping channels and see "Richard Dean Anderson... In... Stargate: SG-1", and you remember him from Macgyver, you're more likely to give the show a few minutes of your time.

Technically, he's the star, but it's a team based show. He's the leader of that team, and the star, so he gets alot of character building episodes. The others have gotten alot of episodes too, but not as many as RDA.

However, since he's been reducing his role in the show the past few seasons they've had time to build up the others character quite a bit, and I'd say the board is about even at this point.

Personally, I can't see them boasting the name of the other actors before the show. It's kind of an outdated idea anyway. I'm hoping that if RDA leaves the show, that they simply remove the idea of a "main star character" and focus on all of the main characters being stars.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I think who you think is the main character depends on who you like best. I like Jack best, so I'm afraid that Daniel isn't going to cut it for me. but Im sure that many people who love Daniel would disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                              I have never been able to see Daniel as the "moral centre" of the show (I don't think any of the others are, either. I think they all bring a unique moral perspective to the brew). Probably because I've haven't always agreed that Daniel's position on an issue or situation was the moral one (not to mention, the best one). This does not mean that I think Daniel is immoral, either; there have certainly been times when I've agreed with him. But there have also been a lot when I haven't.

(Of course, there is also the issue that what may be moral in an abstract, perfect-world thinking may not be in a real-world situation.

J.
                              When I say that Daniel is the moral centre of the film I do not necessarily mean that he is right in his reasoning. Like you, I don't always agree with what he says or thinks. What I do think is that he is the one that articulates the moral dilemma of their particular situation. His character forces the group to consider the moral consequences of their actions. Furthermore we don't have to agree with Daniel to see that the moral issues exists but perhaps where we may differ is how the resolution must come about.
                              Morality is fundamentally about what is right or what is wrong and it seems to me that Daniel is often the one used by the writers to problematize the different scenarios. Perhaps it is because he epitomizes the idealist position so vividly being the scholar of the group. Realistically speaking, I know from experience that so many difficult moral issues can arise when dealing with cross-cultural situations.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X