Talking American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking American

As I understand it, in the Harry Potter fanfic community there are a large number of English fans who provide 'Anglicisation' hints for US writers. I was wondering if there would be some mileage in a thread in which UK (and other) writers could solicit advice on US slang from the forum's American members?

What do people think?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

I think it's an excellent idea, and I'd be glad to help out.
    ~bri~

Comment

Did you have any specific phrases in mind?

-tera'ngan
      nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

It's a really good idea. Why don't you start one?
        sigpic

Comment

Wow, that's great. I'd be willing to help-supply phrases or whatever.

Comment

I'd gladly help any French and Spanish speakers if they need an American equivalent for expressions and jokes and the like
            May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

i can help translate english into american
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think it's a great idea. Nothing bugs me more than to have British slang come out of Jack's mouth....
                Dana Jeanne
                Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I read the differences between the UK and American versions of Harry Potter, so I think I could help out with that. Like Cpn. Bowman, I could also do some Spanish stuff. I'm not a fluent speaker, as I am still learning, but I'm among the top spanish students at my school.
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                    As I understand it, in the Harry Potter fanfic community there are a large number of English fans who provide 'Anglicisation' hints for US writers. I was wondering if there would be some mileage in a thread in which UK (and other) writers could solicit advice on US slang from the forum's American members?

What do people think?
                    Well, to start with Mr. Prophet, I am an avid reader of your SG1, SG7, and Gorgons fan fictions, but as a former USN PO2 I must tell you that american military personnel are never "seconded" to posts or ships. They are either assigned to their regular units or they are temporarily assigned duty (TAD) for their temporary duty stations.

When you used the phrases "seconded to" or "on temporary secondment to" in some of your fictions, I knew immediately that you were British.

Comment

Originally posted by priornavalperson
                      Well, to start with Mr. Prophet, I am an avid reader of your SG1, SG7, and Gorgons fan fictions, but as a former USN PO2
                      Petty Officer 2: This time it's personal!

Hem.

That's ironic actually, since the first time I ever heard the term secondment was in re. of a US military character being seconded to a particular duty, and the line was spoken by that character (with an atrocious Texan accent to boot; go BBC).

Comment

Do you mean that Texican accents are atrocious or that the Texas accent was simulated atrociously?

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                        Petty Officer 2: This time it's personal!

Hem.

That's ironic actually, since the first time I ever heard the term secondment was in re. of a US military character being seconded to a particular duty, and the line was spoken by that character (with an atrocious Texan accent to boot; go BBC).

Comment

Do you mean that Texican accents are atrocious or that the Texas accent was simulated atrociously?
                          Considering it was a BBC production, I'd say it was the latter.
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

This is an interesting place to read! I remember the first time I read a fic by a British writer, or I guess it could be Canadian or Australian, they used the word "lounge". It took me backing up and checking context to realize that lounge = living room....

ETA: and Texan accents are awful anyway!! Just kidding... Arkansas and Texas used to be arch rivals in college football (that would be American football) back when I was a teenager!

Comment

A little from column A...

Comment

Working...
                              X