Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ratings Thread

Dollhouse' attracts just under 5 million viewers

More than a fair share of Joss Whedon fans turned out Friday to see the premiere of Fox's Dollhouse. The mythological drama starring Eliza Dushku attracted 4.7 million viewers - a pretty decent jump over the eyeball levels for The Sarah Connor Chronicles at 8 (which lured a mere 3.7 million), according to fast national ratings. In fact, Dollhouse helped Fox double its viewership levels among women versus Chronicles and helped the net finish in second place among adults 18-34 and in first place across key male demos for the night.

So what does this mean for Dollhouse's longterm prospects? Though 4.7 million isn't that great -Fox typically averages 5.5 million on Fridays - the Whedon drama has a better chance of making it over the long haul if it stays put on the night. In fact, network insiders have long cautioned that if the series were scheduled earlier in the week and ended up attracting these kind of (low) viewership levels, it would have been axed by its second or third airing. So relax, Whedonites - Dushku and Co. appear safe for now.

Chronicles will remain as Dollhouse's lead-in until Fox runs out of episodes; later, the Terminator franchise will be replaced by Prison Break for its final six episodes

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...use-attra.html

So, Did Viewers Welcome Themselves to Dollhouse?

Friday TV's Big Gamble: Fox bet it could win back sci-fi fans from cable with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Joss Whedon's new Dollhouse.

Did It Pay Off? No and sort of. In its Friday debut, Terminator (3.7 million, per Nielsen estimates as reported by MediaWeek) bombed. Fox scored more viewers last week with the far-cheaper Cops (4 million), and did just as poorly in the 18-49 demo (fourth place). At 9 p.m., Dollhouse showed some spunk. While the premiere drew about the same-sized audience as last week's America's Most Wanted (4.7 million), it finished second in the hour in the demo (up from AMW's previous fourth-place finish).

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b1000...dollhouse.html

Comment

Given all the grumblings I've seen about the premiere it'll be interesting to see how big of a drop there'll be in the ratings for the next ep.

Comment

Well the early reviews I read noted that the coming episodes were better than the premier so if people were smart they'd at least give the next two episodes a look.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
          ...if people were smart they'd at least give the next two episodes a look.
          *pats LS on the head* I KNOW you've been in fandom long enough to see how funny that is.

Comment

i think the veiwing are only going to improve
            sigpicIts Scary To Think Of A Mix Between These To Isnt It

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
              Dollhouse' attracts just under 5 million viewers

So what does this mean for Dollhouse's longterm prospects? Though 4.7 million isn't that great -Fox typically averages 5.5 million on Fridays - the Whedon drama has a better chance of making it over the long haul if it stays put on the night. In fact, network insiders have long cautioned that if the series were scheduled earlier in the week and ended up attracting these kind of (low) viewership levels, it would have been axed by its second or third airing. So relax, Whedonites - Dushku and Co. appear safe for now.

Chronicles will remain as Dollhouse's lead-in until Fox runs out of episodes; later, the Terminator franchise will be replaced by Prison Break for its final six episodes

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...use-attra.html
              Missed this the first time. What the heck did FOX have on Friday nights to begin with that pulled in an average of 5.5 mil?? There is barely anything to watch on that channel to begin with....and now that's it's American Idol season, that airs 3 times a week.

And yes they need to keep it in one spot on Friday nights and don't move it around the schedule.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              *pats LS on the head* I KNOW you've been in fandom long enough to see how funny that is.
              lol. What was I thinking!?
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Dollhouse premiere ratings even worse than expected

Friday night death slot indeed.

The series premiere of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse was seen by just 4.7 million viewers on Friday night and earned a 2.0 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and 6 share, below even the network's modest expectations for the series, the Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed reported.

Dollhouse was beaten in the 9 p.m. hour by ABC's Supernanny (8.5 million viewers, 2.2/7) and is the lowest-rated drama series premiere on a major broadcast network this season, aside from NBC's now-defunct Crusoe, the site reported.

Dollhouse was paired with the midseason return of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which moved from its previous Monday-night timeslot, and that show also saw its ratings fall: 3.7 million viewers, for a 1.3 rating and 5 share. Terminator came in third place in the hour and hit a series low (by like 27 percent), Live Feed reported.

Terminator beat NBC's Howie Do It, but not by much. Both CBS' Ghost Whisperer (8.9 million, 2.4/8) and ABC's Wife Swap (4.3 million, 1.5/5) did better.

Fox had hopes at least of coming out ahead of ABC's reality block. But Terminator was sinking in the ratings earlier this season, and Dollhouse has suffered from negative buzz and creative trouble for months.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhou...n-expected.php

Comment

Poor start for Whedon's 'Dollhouse'
                  Monday, February 16 2009, 09:28 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Joss Whedon's highly anticipated new series Dollhouse got off to a sluggish start in the ratings on Friday night.

The show stars Buffy alumnus Eliza Dushku as one of several "dolls" whose memories can be imprinted with different skills and personality traits.

According to early figures, the premiere pulled in 4.7 million viewers in the 9pm hour on Friday for Fox. The ratings represent the second lowest premiere audience for a scripted series on a major broadcast network this season, behind only NBC's ill-fated adventure drama Crusoe.

Dollhouse was beaten in its slot by ABC's Supernanny, which drew 6.1 million for the hour.

Earlier, the return of The Sarah Connor Chronicles after a midseason break proved a poor lead-in for Dollhouse, with just 3.7 million viewers in the 8pm hour.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a14...dollhouse.html

Comment

Y'know, if they put Dollhouse up against something as craptastic as Supernanny, they HAVE to know they're going to lose. Mainstream audiences are sheep; they'll pick the no-brainer pseudo-reality programming over something (*gasp!* *horror!*) creative practically any day of the week. Who wants to watch a bunch of highly-controlled living dolls when you can watch a bunch of squalling, uncontrollable brats instead? Pfft. Audiences suck.

As it happens, though, the Friday night time slot works really well for me. Mentalist is in the 9-slot on Tuesdays and Supernatural on Thursdays and if y'all think Supernanny is killing Joss, putting him up against Heroes or Lost would be premeditated murder.

I also tend to take all the ratings stuff with a grain of salt. You can spin the numbers to make them say anything you want and people LOVE a good train wreck (see above, re: Supernanny) so turning Joss into a casualty could just be another bit of storytelling.

Were the ratings phenomenal? No. Maybe the folks at FOX were stupid enough to expect that, but I didn't. Is there going to be a big drop this Friday? Almost certainly. Will it spell doom for Dollhouse? Hard to say. It depends on how Joss manages to juggle things now that he's gotten the pilot out of the way and it depends on how much faith FOX has in his ability to deliver, even without #1 ratings. So, yeah, it's probably still toast. I guess I just have a real hatred for the folks who write these ratings blurbs. Pro or con, I hate it when journalists try to sensationalize everything.

Comment

FYI--

When Firefly debuted, it had 6.2 million viewers.

Of course, this is the age of the DVR and the overnight numbers only include people who watched through the end of the night. (Live + same day) This genre of program tends to have a high number of people watching later. Dollhouse could gain a lot more viewers when the final numbers come in.

Unfortunately, Fox gets paid by the advertisers on neither the Live plus Same Day or Live Plus 7 Day rating. They get paid on "C3"--the rating for who watches the ads within a 3-day period.

Comment

Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse scratches its way to #1 on US iTunes!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/16...n-itunes/12952

Dollhouse Finds Its Audience... On iTunes

The ratings and reviews for new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse weren't exactly wonderful, but there's one place where the love for the show is easy to find... Apple's iTunes store.

"Ghost," the first episode of Whedon's new Fox series, is the best-selling TV show at the Apple store, having spent the last few days slowly creeping up the charts (It started as the 19th most popular, on Saturday). Is this a sign that the critical tide is turning for the troubled show, or just that the Whedon Faithful are supporting the show in any and every way that they can?

http://io9.com/5155387/dollhouse-fin...ence-on-itunes

Comment

I'm perdicting Nosedive city, they would be lucky to get half that for episode #2. I got Dollhouse on my Tivo Season Pass manager, so I will watch the entire season (if it makes it that long), but going by the first episode it wasn't that good at all.

As much as I like Eliza Dusku, I think TPTB over-stretched by penciling her in that role (although that is one tough role she has taken on). Poor Eliza looked lost and rather lame in ep #1, I hope she and the show get better.

Does anyone realize that the main Networks generally put there worst shows on Firday nights because the least amount of people are home in front of there televisions then. Shows you how highly Fox thinks about it.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Okay after seeing the 2nd episode I think Fox has lost it's mind! So much better. Why did they want a revamp of the first episode? It annoys me to no end that after the 1st episode some viewers just didn't tune for the 2nd episode which was so much better. It just seemed to me that Fox said "dumb down the first episode so a 5 year old could understand it". And I believe that was the problem with the first episode, Fox interfered. You'd think with the dvd sales of Firefly, which Fox also interfered with the first episode, would've proven to them to just let Joss do what he does best.

Anyway I thought episode 2 was awesome! Though I do have wonder how many Battlestar Galactica actors are going to show up! Loved seeing Mark Sheppard again.
                            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Ratings for Episode 2

Last night’s Dollhouse drew 4.2 million and 1.7/7, down from last week when it drew 4.7 million and a 2.0 rating with adults 18-49, and notably this was against repeats on the CBS lineup

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/21...plifting/13214

Comment

Working...
                              X