This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... What show to watch now?

When I started watching the last episode of Atlantis Season 5 I didn't quite new they had already cancelled the show. In the last 90 sec that became really obvious because it was clear the story was supposed to be a cliffhanger and the finished it up real quick so it wasn't. A real shame because Atlantis was basically the last "old fashioned" sci-fi show. With old fashioned I mean every episode is basically a single entity with a thin red line connecting some of them together in a greater storyline.

Now I'm kind of lost what to whatch next. The only show that comes close to old fashioned scifi is Battlestar Galactica, BUT that show has been "soapified" so much it's also not that interesting really (soapified: Adding a lot of unnecesary stuff not relevant to the episode and not having independent episodes, only one very big storyline). If you watch 15min of any given BSG episode you will still know what's going on, whereas you miss 15min of an SG1/Atlantis show you'll be a bit clueless on how the story got to that point in the first place
    It's a shame most new shows are soapified, take 24 for instance, you can tell the entire 24 episode storyline in a 2h movie and not skip a single bit of detail.

Anyone have some ideas on good new shows to watch?

Originally posted by deselve View Post
    If you watch 15min of any given BSG episode you will still know what's going on, whereas you miss 15min of an SG1/Atlantis
    I think you got that reversed....

Watch BSG. Every bit worth it.

I'm working on Babylon 5 right now, on to the last season. Epic, brilliant, wholeheartedly recommended.

Futurama and Red Dwarf: Brilliant sci fi comedy.

Also:
    - Carnivale
    - Eureka
    - Firefly
    - Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (lol)
    - The X-Files
    - X-Men (90s cartoon)
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 14 February 2009, 09:54 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Theirs Fringe, which have a overall story but each episode can be watch independently I feel.

Then their eleventh hour, frankly is not looking good as their been know news about new episodes to my knowledge. edited : found out they are currently airing more episodes up to 13 so far.

Their Dollhouse starting up this month. I am not sure what the story format they are using. It seem to be having teething trouble getting off the ground through like all Jose Whindon (sp?) shows/ideas do. Unfortuantly his fan base and reputation in Hollywood unlike JJ Albrams cannot sustain a show, no one would dare cancel a JJ Albram.

Their Warehouse 13 starting up, but I think that summer.
      Seen Sanctuary yet?
      Last edited by knowles2; 15 February 2009, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I think you got that reversed....
        lol! Ain't that the truth.

As far as something new to watch...as in new to tv?...well the only thing new I can suggest for you is Stargate: Universe, but you will have to wait a while.

I mean everything is in the middle of their seasons and if you aren't already watching....

The only new thing I can think of is Dollhouse which aired its first ep this past Friday and possibly Fringe as the eps are mostly self contained with an overall arc, but Fringe won't be back till April. I guess that would give you time to catch up on old eps, but if you don't like X-File-ish type stories, then it may not be for you.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Hmm, well now that Stargate's gone...(still mad. And sad. And I still have that feeling that I've been betrayed in my mind...) I've started on Farscape (Claudia Black and Ben Browder). It's good so far!

I've heard that BSG is good, but I don't know. Never watched it.

I've also stated watching Burn Notice + 24, which both have interesting storylines, and both have Michael Shanks.

So pretty much I looked up the shows that Stargate cast memebers were working on/ or have worked on in the past, and started watching THOSE shows.

I haven't gotten around to Sanctuary yet, but I will, soon.

Comment

Well, it depends on what you have already watched and what exactly you're looking for but old fashioned scifi similar to Stargate would be:

- Star Trek: Give it a try if you haven't seen anything yet. You should probably watch some The Next Generation episodes, doesn't matter so much which one you see first because you'll find very little spoilers (they're stand-alones).

- Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda: Somewhere in between Star Trek and Stargate. It's cool because of all those new special effects and pretty aliens, it has some great characters and then you have one different adventure every episode.

- Babylon 5: Older but oh SO GOOD.

I'd say you try those three for the moment. Someone said "Sanctuary" and I'm really enjoying it but it's more fantasy than scifi.

Sig by Achaja

Comment

well my first thing to recommend , since u said u've seen atlantis, id say watch stargate sg1 if u havent already. My first scifi choice would be star trek,(the original is awesome for its time and the next generation is totally cool) if you start the next generation dont let the first 2 seasons hinder you from watching it, those 2 seasons are a little...slow.All the star trek series are great. I have noticed and its not many trekkers favorite but star trek enterprise i always found to be much like stargate, in the format that its set up in and stuff, but it only lasts 4 seasons soo.. The next thing i would recommend is the x files, great show with great characters and very funny but has its serious moments.
              Its not scifi but id also recommend bones because its such a great show and its still on the air

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
              Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
              Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

well i would recomend

how i met your mother-funniest damn show on tv in my opinion

reaper-kevin smith directs and produces...need i say more?

supernatural-you would have to catch up...but definalty worth the time

big bang theory-nerds living next door to a hot blonde....pretty funnny

friday night lights-fantastic show with great writing(okay the 2nd season had a few bads spots) and great lovable characters

prison breaks final episodes-but like supernatural ud have catch up

i hear chuck is good,scrubs is pretty funny,same with 2 and a half men,family guy

Comment

BSG.

But if you want something short but snappy. Firefly.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Now I'm kind of lost what to whatch next. The only show that comes close to old fashioned scifi is Battlestar Galactica, BUT that show has been "soapified" so much it's also not that interesting really (soapified: Adding a lot of unnecesary stuff not relevant to the episode and not having independent episodes, only one very big storyline).
                    I find stuff like BSG, Lost, 24, DS9 and B5 to be fantastic. I love those kinds of story arc driven shows.

But! If that's not the kind of show you're looking for... I'd say check out TNG, Voyager, Firefly and maybe Andromeda. Those shows are more about episodes where people can sit down and watch it without watching any previous ones.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

The Star Wars Saga, oh yes!

Comment

If you want a gritty scifi show and don't mind getting the DVD - Space Above and Beyond which is 1 season and 20 episodes. Another to watch is Firefly including the movie which tied everything together very neatly.

And I echo the suggestions above for Babylon 5, which is a superb 5 season and several movies - will keep you enthralled for a long time, and its sequal Crusade (1 shortened season).
                        ---------------------
                        sigpic
                        Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

With old fashioned I mean every episode is basically a single entity with a thin red line connecting some of them together in a greater storyline.
                          I knew I forgot something...

Farscape. You'll probably love it.

And, if you're willing to try out some good fantasy shows, I would recommend: Sanctuary, BtVS/Angel, Legend of the Seeker.

Try out new things. You never know...
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Working...
                          X