Lost: Global theories of what's going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost: Global theories of what's going on

Its fun to know that the sixth seasons of lost will be the last one, since it means the global mystery of lost will need to be explained by that time. I've watch the complete Lost series on marathon in the last few months. I'm curious to read about everybody's theories about Lost. Here's mine:

I think its comes down to the indigenous people of the island and where they came from. I think we have 2 choices, they either comes from the past or from the future. I dont they comes from the present time. Before, the end of season 4 I thought they came from the past from an Atlantis-like advanced civilizations. Now with the introduction of the time travel capacity of the island, I think they come from the future (even if the past theory still works as well in a similar manner).

I now think those Island people comes from the future. A very distant future. The Island is like a big time travel machine. They probably comes from the future to advert some cataclysm or bad turn of events in the future of human history to happen (or at least happen again). That would explain why the Island people act like they got a bigger goal than themselves. Also that would explain why while doing everything they can to reach their goal, they seem to have good moral values. For example, they needed to kill the dharma initiative since they were going to compromise the whole mission.

Also, we have already seen that they seem to have assignment to do outside the Island (for example, the radio jamming girls where suppose to be in Canada). But I dont think their goal is world domination or pure greed.

It must be noted that its true that time travelling with the Island is unpredictable and dangerous. Thats why they can keep going at it. A

Its also possible that the Island people are interesting into some special individuals. Either to take them out of the "present life" so they (or their children) don't do what they first did in the future. Which lead to some bad events of some sorts. Or either as Island people agents able to modify the present so it has an effect into the future. That is only a few humans are capable into modifying the present so it has a effect on the future. Possibly Desmond, Ben, Lock. Also they needed to have children, so they could have other Island agents, as they view their mission to save humanity from spanning multiple generations.

In my theory, nothing happening on the island (our outside of it) is magical. Its all science from the present or future (or highly advanced past from my atlantis-like theory). For example, the apparitions of dead people are hologram sent to manipulate people. The big black cloud monster; Also some kind of advanced weapons. Jacob? Either Richard (the real leader) or somebody in the future which can see the effect of the Island people action in the future. Other small plot point can be explained by this situation. For example the Island his hidden in a temporal pocket (only reachable with a specific "bearing"/door) so it doesn't affect the present unpredictably. Widmore? Most probably a rich industrialist which have discovered the Island by mistake and now want it as its toys or is interested into its potential to gain power. Or maybe he's a member of the arch enemy of the island people which would benefit from the catastrophic future. Etc.

So here's the main point:

1- The island people comes from the future (or advanced Atlantis like past).
    2- The island is a big time travel machine to be use sparingly
    3- They try to advert bad event(s) from happening to the future.
    4- Nothing happening on the Island or outside of it is magical
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

i think there is a stargate somewhere in the island aka bens magic box

Comment

I agree with the point that nothing on the island is magical. I think everything will have a basis in science or at least a scientific idea behind them.

I believe Jakub and smokey are one in the same my self.

Now how to fit the black pearl, the four footed toe statue, dharma innituitive, and Widmore into some global theory which also fits the number, and unlimited supply of power, time travel is a mystery at the moment.

I probably could come up with something tomorrow, but it will require one very very long post, that will not solve the numbers part of the plot, which I am starting to think is rogue element of the story that writers will leave a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        I agree with the point that nothing on the island is magical. I think everything will have a basis in science or at least a scientific idea behind them.

I believe Jakub and smokey are one in the same my self.
        As I said, in my theory, Jacob is either Richard, which I consider the real leader of the Island people (the others). Or he's somebody in the future which provide feedback to the Island people about their actions on earth and how it help, or not, to advert the catastrophic future. Again time travel is a tricky thing and only a few people can see/hear Jacob. Dont forget that its Richard which have recruited both Ben (using one of his death people hologram) and Lock. Richard went to see Lock when he was a child to test its "time-travel" or time perception capacity. Obviously, the "he's not good enough for our school" was pure crap, since he was not really a school recruiter (but an Island people recruiter). Again this further exemplifies, how the Island people need some human from the outside (our world) which have specific ability. Some people on the plane, the majority I think, don't have any special ability though.

Now how to fit the black pearl, the four footed toe statue, dharma innituitive, and Widmore into some global theory which also fits the number, and unlimited supply of power, time travel is a mystery at the moment.
        From my theory, black pearl is probably due to one of the time travel (time and space travel) of the Island in the past. The Island after a time and space travel probably appeared "just under" or at the same place and time than the boat. Leaving it in the middle on the Island.

As for the four toe statue. Theres 2 theories. Either the Island people which have 4 toes, or the island people don't have 4 toes. If they have 4 toes, it must be due to the evolution (since they come from a very distant future) or due to some genetic manipulation in the future. If they don't have 4 toes, the statue may simply be an artistic depiction of an half-man half-lion (or whatever animal). I should say part-man part lion to be precise.

The dharma initiative and widmore are most probably simply people which have discovered the island and its "advanced" magic-like property.

The numbers are the most far fetched to explain. I think the writers wont give it a precise explanation. But in my theory, its simply part of the mission of the Island people to manipulate our plane crash people. We know that the Island people sometimes get out of the Island to do some mission in our world. For example, in the last episode they may have modified the meter of the car in one of their mission "outside" the island. All previous numbers all part of an elaborate scheme to get Hurley on the plane. I consider it my most far fetched explanation. Again I think the writers wont tackle it directly.

Obviously the energy is not a problem since they got sun (solar power), wind (wind power) and can have other technology to generate electricity.

As for the time travel, since they comes from the future they have access to the technology. But the island people are limited by the physics of it and are not complete expert at it. They just really needed to use it right away, when they were in our future, to save humanity from a catastrophic or dystopian future.

Im curious to know how you explain Jacob being smokey without the use of magic?
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          As for the four toe statue. Theres 2 theories. Either the Island people which have 4 toes, or the island people don't have 4 toes. If they have 4 toes, it must be due to the evolution (since they come from a very distant future) or due to some genetic manipulation in the future. If they don't have 4 toes, the statue may simply be an artistic depiction of an half-man half-lion (or whatever animal). I should say part-man part lion to be precise.
          Spoiler:
          I believe richard will play a part in showing us what pourpose the statue has. In a few article I read awhile ago, it said in an upcoming episode he will be shown without shoes. I kept going over this in my head, because it was just so random and out of place. But i think he is the reason behind it... why? I don't know yet. Only time will tell.

Here's some article that says the same information, not the one i found before but it works.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37661

Also note, another theory is that the others are building it. Remember early on it the series they were making Sawyer and kate break up rocks and move them away? It was never said why they were doing this.

The numbers and the monster are what i want to know about, but I believe the number theory will never be solved, just a mystery left to wonder about. The other big mysteries like the monster and such will be solved in season 6.
          Last edited by Alan Wake; 24 January 2009, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
            As I said, in my theory, Jacob is either Richard, which I consider the real leader of the Island people (the others). Or he's somebody in the future which provide feedback to the Island people about their actions on earth and how it help, or not, to advert the catastrophic future. Again time travel is a tricky thing and only a few people can see/hear Jacob. Dont forget that its Richard which have recruited both Ben (using one of his death people hologram) and Lock. Richard went to see Lock when he was a child to test its "time-travel" or time perception capacity. Obviously, the "he's not good enough for our school" was pure crap, since he was not really a school recruiter (but an Island people recruiter). Again this further exemplifies, how the Island people need some human from the outside (our world) which have specific ability. Some people on the plane, the majority I think, don't have any special ability though.

From my theory, black pearl is probably due to one of the time travel (time and space travel) of the Island in the past. The Island after a time and space travel probably appeared "just under" or at the same place and time than the boat. Leaving it in the middle on the Island.

The dharma initiative and widmore are most probably simply people which have discovered the island and its "advanced" magic-like property.

The numbers are the most far fetched to explain. I think the writers wont give it a precise explanation. But in my theory, its simply part of the mission of the Island people to manipulate our plane crash people. We know that the Island people sometimes get out of the Island to do some mission in our world. For example, in the last episode they may have modified the meter of the car in one of their mission "outside" the island. All previous numbers all part of an elaborate scheme to get Hurley on the plane. I consider it my most far fetched explanation. Again I think the writers wont tackle it directly.

Obviously the energy is not a problem since they got sun (solar power), wind (wind power) and can have other technology to generate electricity.

As for the time travel, since they comes from the future they have access to the technology. But the island people are limited by the physics of it and are not complete expert at it. They just really needed to use it right away, when they were in our future, to save humanity from a catastrophic or dystopian future.

Im curious to know how you explain Jacob being smokey without the use of magic?
            Smokey I believe it some sought of electro magnetic energy life form, our brains work partially electrical signals it might be possible to plant electric signal from the outside sources directly into the brain. Smokey being electric could be capable of this.
            It's been proven in labs that highly power magnetic fields can cause illusions and people to see things, it possible that smokey just uses a more control and far more advance techniques to not only get people to see things but control the exact thing they see.

I do not thing the numbers are a elebrate plot for hurly, if they are anything they are the results of the formula to predict when the human race die, this how they were explained in the lost experience, they the results of a un research program.
            This makes sense in the realm of people from the future idea. Robert and the rest of his team were chosen to travel back in time to save humanity, as they have a special ability interact and change the course of the time stream. They travel back and been hoping to change the numbers that the formula produce ever since.
            I believe the Dharma intuitive was to do the same thing. Widmore wants to stop them as he was from the future and likes his position their.

I still do not know why a future people would want to build a statue of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Smokey I believe it some sought of electro magnetic energy life form, our brains work partially electrical signals it might be possible to plant electric signal from the outside sources directly into the brain. Smokey being electric could be capable of this.
              It's been proven in labs that highly power magnetic fields can cause illusions and people to see things, it possible that smokey just uses a more control and far more advance techniques to not only get people to see things but control the exact thing they see.
              I don't know. I believe aliens and electromagnetic energy life form to be somewhat magic within the context of the show. I prefer speculative science explanation. For example, when you say "In the future its possible we will be able to...". Still your explanation is a possibility.

I do not thing the numbers are a elebrate plot for hurly, if they are anything they are the results of the formula to predict when the human race die, this how they were explained in the lost experience, they the results of a un research program.
              This makes sense in the realm of people from the future idea. Robert and the rest of his team were chosen to travel back in time to save humanity, as they have a special ability interact and change the course of the time stream. They travel back and been hoping to change the numbers that the formula produce ever since.
              That is an interesting look at the numbers. But it doesn't explain what they have anything to do with Hurley. Those numbers are important to the Island people, according to what you say, but why do Hurley keep seeing them?

I believe the Dharma intuitive was to do the same thing. Widmore wants to stop them as he was from the future and likes his position their.
              I like this explanation. Since the Dharma initiative seems to know much about the island (from s5 episode) and its time travel property (from the first s5 episodes). Still it could have come from the study of it.

I still do not know why a future people would want to build a statue of themselves.
              Even now we are constantly building statues of ourselves. Most of the time prominant historical figures. I think the Island was a real Island in the future. Maybe it was a tourist resort of some kind. So its possible that they have built it, then try to destroyed it quickly, but lacked time to complete the job. Thank you Alan Wake for the spoiling info about the statue.

Comment

I'm thinking the time shift causes by the massive energy source is a natural phenomenon. An ancient civilization probably existed on the island at some point, and for some reason they contained/regulated it with the donkey wheel.

Eventually, they became the "Hostiles" over many generations. Dharma, as we've seen already, somehow found out about the energy and its time altering properties.

As for the 4 toes. The only reasonable conclusion is that they are more evolved. Probably due to being displaced from our own stream of time. The insular nature of the island combined with the time stuff would explain how they could be more evolved yet still have the technology, customs, etc of an ancient civilization.

The numbers! Ah, the sweet sweet numbers. They have to be somehow tied into the time shifting. Perhaps they represent a pattern needed to calculate the shifts? Something along those lines is the way I'm leaning.

I think Jacob is a supernatural entity of some kind. Probably a spirit that is trapped by the island's energy, and likely someone important/powerful. The smoke monster could be one of the ways he/it manifests.

I doubt there will be magic involved though. I'm leaning towards a mix of theoretical science and the supernatural. Aliens or advanced futuristic humans seems unlikely in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                  As for the 4 toes. The only reasonable conclusion is that they are more evolved. Probably due to being displaced from our own stream of time. The insular nature of the island combined with the time stuff would explain how they could be more evolved yet still have the technology, customs, etc of an ancient civilization.
                  Or whoever sculpted the statue just messed up lol.
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                    Or whoever sculpted the statue just messed up lol.
                    Yeah, I doubt that's the case.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree with the sentiments that Locke is Jacob, time travelling ghost... yeah.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Well... looks like the mystery of the 4 toe statue has been solved...

Watch this video to find out.

http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/200...review_19.html

Spoiler:
                        Looks like it's Mr.Locke

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Well... looks like the mystery of the 4 toe statue has been solved...

Watch this video to find out.

http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/200...review_19.html

Spoiler:
                          Looks like it's Mr.Locke

Spoiler:
                          Nice try, but have a look at this picture:
                          http://spoilertv.iimmgg.com/image/44...f05297a5381e49

There's a 5th toe.

Comment

Originally posted by bcharley View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            Nice try, but have a look at this picture:
                            http://spoilertv.iimmgg.com/image/44...f05297a5381e49

There's a 5th toe.
                            Humm... I'm still not sure...

Still can't tell from that picture...

The reason I just have a feeling it's him... why would they zoom in on his feet like that? It's an odd thing to do if it doesn't have a meaning.

Looks like that could be a bandage around the wound to me.

Also Ben telling him he's more important then he knows. It just all adds up in my head. Guess we'll find out in a week.

Edit-

Just watched a more clear video here -

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/

It's down towards the bottom of the site... but in the video you can see something is definitely on his toe.
                            Last edited by Alan Wake; 19 February 2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                              Humm... I'm still not sure...

Still can't tell from that picture...

The reason I just have a feeling it's him... why would they zoom in on his feet like that? It's an odd thing to do if it doesn't have a meaning.

Looks like that could be a bandage around the wound to me.

Also Ben telling him he's more important then he knows. It just all adds up in my head. Guess we'll find out in a week.

Edit-

Just watched a more clear video here -

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/

It's down towards the bottom of the site... but in the video you can see something is definitely on his toe.
                              Yah, his toenail.

It's always possible that they zoomed way in on his foot so people wouldn't think he only has four toes. I definitely see five toes in the picture posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X