This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Maybe the vegetation in this alien galaxy tends towards shades of red and blue, making the panels good for camoflage.
    I'm the kind of girl who would actually allow that explaination. Except for the fact that the rest of the uniform is the various greens of normal camoflage. So that tends to take away from your argument.

Basically what I'm afraid of is that they're going to stray too much from the military regulations etc.
    I think that what makes sg1 so great is the way they try hard to stay within those regs and limitations. by going too far away from that makes it less believable somehow.

(I must clarify - I'm completely aware that Jack should have been court martialed [sp?] long ago for insubordination. but thats a little different)

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
      I'm the kind of girl who would actually allow that explaination. Except for the fact that the rest of the uniform is the various greens of normal camoflage. So that tends to take away from your argument.
      OK, so they're red, blue AND green. Maybe the trees have green trunks and red leaves, or the bushes have red branches and blue leaves. Or all the flowers could have triangular shaped petals in alternating red, blue, and green shadings.

Basically what I'm afraid of is that they're going to stray too much from the military regulations etc.
      Well, I don't know what they're saying about the team currently, but originally they were making a big deal about how the A-team wasn't supposed to be a "military team". Of course, they also said it was gonna be "international" but I seriously question their definition of that...

I won't comment on the court martialing thing as it's too mucky a topic, but insubordination is, IMO, the least of their offences.

But this is supposed to be about what we wanna see of the FX/set for Atlantis.

I'd like close-ups of the various glyphs on the new gate. I can't quite get over my impression that it's braille, but maybe if I had a better look at them...

Comment

I don't think that vfx guy has anything to do with the uniforms, but I may be wrong
        "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Maybe he can use some CGI wizardy to *FIX* them!
          Nmom
          sigpic

Comment

Like put them all in camoflage thongs?? I see EXACTLY where you are going with this...
            "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

He may not have much to do with the uniforms, but he could be responsible for CGI'ing all the red, blue and green vegetation. OOoo, or maybe the color panels act like screens and he can CGI little movies onto them or something. Well, the blue ones, anyway. Little mini bluescreens, right? Maybe he's invented a process to redscreen things...

Comment

kind of like the telly tubbies?
                the little panels become a communication device.

"hey wait, hold still, the general is trying to make contact"

kinda?

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                  kind of like the telly tubbies?
                  the little panels become a communication device.

"hey wait, hold still, the general is trying to make contact"
                  LOL! If I see a single piece of Tubby Toast, I'm gonna scream.

*edited in sad, desperate and slightly guilty attempt to get this back on topic* Er... How about the not-a-DHD gate control devices?

And I still wanna see a puddle jumper use the gate...

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
                    Thanks All!

I've been speaking with Brad about which behind the scenes set photos and visual effects shots to show in an up-coming interview with Gateworld and I can't decide!

So... what do you guys want to see?... let me know gang...

Mark Breakspear
                    Visual Effects Supervisor
                    Atlantis
                    I'd love to see a full movie of a puddlejumper remotely dialing the gate, the gate's chevron's engaging and the whole wormhole process! I think that's going to be the most exciting thing for me about the show, the story will continue, but seeing the effects for the first time, ahh. I'm getting all excited just thinking about it!

Comment

Mr. Soup,

(May I call you Vfx?) Some of us would love to have the Ancient 'screensaver' from Atlantis and Reckoning part deux.

I saw it displayed on Carter's laptop. Do you think you could post it to Gateworld so we could download it?

thanks

fullcircle

EDIT: whoops! I didn't read the first page but I guess this is a Dead Thread! Didn't realize all the altercations made it unlikely to be accomatdated. Well, if anyone has it post it to gateworld.
                      Last edited by fullcircle; 07 March 2005, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fullcircle
                        Mr. Soup,

(May I call you Vfx?) Some of us would love to have the Ancient 'screensaver' from Atlantis and Reckoning part deux.

I saw it displayed on Carter's laptop. Do you think you could post it to Gateworld so we could download it?

thanks

fullcircle

EDIT: whoops! I didn't read the first page but I guess this is a Dead Thread! Didn't realize all the altercations made it unlikely to be accomatdated. Well, if anyone has it post it to gateworld.
                        I'm sure Mr Breakspear will join us again sooner or later to enlighten us on the visual effects of Atlantis' Season 2. Looking forward to it! You shouldn't worry about reenergizing an old thread, which by the look of it, had an untimely demise anyway...

Comment

Sorry about the idiot, Mark. Lessee. VFX in Atlantis. The only thing that's coming to mind is all the swooping camera angles in "The Siege Part Two." You know, where instead of cutting from one scene to the next the camera panned quickly across the city. (I'm assuming that's vfx and not practical, as I've only heard of computer models of Atlantis.) Those were pretty cool, however, the style was enough different from the normal cinematography style of the show that I found it distracting from the story. I notice stylistic things like that, and it bugs me when they're not consistent.
                          My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                          -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                          -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                            Those were pretty cool, however, the style was enough different from the normal cinematography style of the show that I found it distracting from the story. I notice stylistic things like that, and it bugs me when they're not consistent.
                            Thanks Beatrice,

Good comment. As the season went on, we started to "try" things. Some work, some don't. I personally, liked the way the transitions took you across the city... it let you see some of the neighborhood! I think it helped the "siege" feeling of the show itself, but I'm willing to admit that it also ran the risk of taking us out of the action just enough to be distracting.

Oh well, you can't win everything!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice:
                              Those were pretty cool, however, the style was enough different from the normal cinematography style of the show that I found it distracting from the story. I notice stylistic things like that, and it bugs me when they're not consistent.

Originally posted by vfxsoup:
                              ...I personally, liked the way the transitions took you across the city... it let you see some of the neighborhood! I think it helped the "siege" feeling of the show itself...
                              Dear Mark,
                              I've recently just found this topic and thought I'd encourage you to let you know that I enjoyed the video effects of the city zooming in and out in "The Siege, part 2". I didn't really notice any differences between the scaled model and cgi (or whatever it was) version, if there were any differences. What I did see was:

The video effects used gave a sense of just how vast and *widespread* the search throughout the city was going - i.e.: where the search from one part of the city was in contrast to another completely (often opposite) different location. Instead of using simple scene cuts or familiar fades, it stayed focused from point A to point B zooming in and out, and vice-versa, like a roller coaster effect.

It wasn't overused in my opinion, but may have made other viewers, who are not used to that, get a little dizzy. At least it didn't zoom at 200 m.p.h. (Sheppard's idea of speeding), especially if using a model scale in inches instead of miles.

I hadn't thought of the siege feeling itself. But now that you mention it, those same visual effects did provide that kind of swooping in / out feeling. Very *interesting* POV.

Comment

I liked the transitions. All too often, Atlantis feels like the size of a small skyscraper. The new effects in "The Siege Part II" were really cool and helped add a sense of scale.

As to new scenes: I'd like to see exterior shots with people outside showing how big the buildings are compared with the people. I always like those kind of shots, and they would show how massive the city really is.

P.S. Could we see a Wraith mothership landing or taking off?

Comment

Working...
                                X