X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invitation for comments...

Hey all!

I'm the visual effects supervisor for Atlantis and wanted to invite you to post me comments on the show's effects. I'm looking for constructive comments that help me understand how people who are watching the show for the first time see what we've created. Normally, by the time a show has gone through post production, I've watched it about 300 times... so the shots start to melt together and don't have the same impact they would when you see a finished shot for the first time...

I'm looking for insightful observations only please, both good and bad! The aim is to better understand the way we see things, verses the way we create things in our heads. The more we understand the process, the more we can build better worlds for you all.

I'm running a website called, vfxsoup which details the work of visual effects supervisors, and interviews people from the visual effects industry (including James Tichenor who did the effects for Stargate and now works on Kingdom Hospital)... I've created forums there to discuss these subjects and invite you all to direct the comments there, as it is the best way for me to see you ideas and thoughts...

We're already at episode 8, and I can't wait to shoot this latest episode, the opening shot will blow you away... It's simply the best thing I've ever personally done and the team I work with is open to the most wacky of my creative ideas... so in return, I'm open to your comments and suggestions!

Fire away, but be kind, a great many people on this show work very hard making these pictures for you!

Mark Breakspear
    Visual Effects Supervisor
    Atlantis

www.vfxsoup.com

Cool site, can't wait to see Atlantis when it premiers!
    "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

What expensive computer graphics software are you using

same as stargate or different?

Comment

Originally posted by thor39
        What expensive computer graphics software are you using

same as stargate or different?
        It's not about the software it's about he skills
        No, really I'd like to know too.

Comment

I'm intereseted in the new gate.

Are the flashy lights practical or visual effects? And does it produce a "kawoosh" when it opens?

Unfortunatly I haven't seen any visual effects to comment on, so....

Comment

I want to know too!
            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

wow i just want to say that what you are doing is very cool. actually putting the time in to ask for the viewers direct opinions is awesome and not something you eveer really see now adays. i cant wait to see atlantis and i bet it will be amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                wow i just want to say that what you are doing is very cool. actually putting the time in to ask for the viewers direct opinions is awesome and not something you eveer really see now adays. i cant wait to see atlantis and i bet it will be amazing!
                Err, yeah, I meant that too!

But seriously, you guys have 100% of my support (I'm even gradually converting Shadow ), I trust it will be spectaculor!

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                  (I'm even gradually converting Shadow
                  Dream on, Snake Boy.

I will say that the visual FX is one area where Atlantis is bound to go right. I love FX people. And the props dudes. Still trying to figure out if that was Bear at last year's Gatecon...

And I miss Dragon.

But FX, yes, way cool stuff in store, I'm sure.

Comment

It will be strange not having JimmyT around, but he's doing amazing things. Pretty big shoes to fill. I have every confidence that you and the teams of SF wizards will put together amazingly wonderful shots. The kind that one may not even realize are CG!

Nmom
                    sigpic

Comment

Mark,

Welcome to the forum and I know we all look forward to being able to ask questions and comment more intelligently once Atlantis starts airing. I have learned a lot from hearing James Tichenor's commentary on the DVD's, especially regarding visual effects that I never realized were...well....effects. I'm thrilled that you're interested in interacting with the fans as vfx have become such a big part of every scifi show.

I checked out your website and you have some interesting features. I enjoyed the interview with Jimmy T. very much. I see you have a green/blue (screen) debate over there as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys are going to differentiate Atlantis from SG-1. I've already seen some of the still shots of the gate, the ships and it "feels" different. Can't wait to see the new bells and whistles and variations you bring to the project.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

vfxsoup if you'd be so helpful and gave us a direct link to the STARGATE ATLANTIS special effects, that we can comment on, otherwise you'r post is an advertising and should be GONE

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                          vfxsoup if you'd be so helpful and gave us a direct link to the STARGATE ATLANTIS special effects, that we can comment on, otherwise you'r post is an advertising and should be GONE
                          Why don't you step back from your computer, take a deep breath, and try SMILING for a moment? Would you attack Joe Mallozzi if he came on and advertised his blog just because it isn't on an MGM or SCIFI site? Yeesh. And I thought I was bad!

I will say that the post is probably better suited to the Atlantis folder, but unless or until I have evidence that vfx is lying, I'm gonna go ahead and believe him and be grateful that he's willing to spend some time with the fans.

Comment

well the thing is the first sentances are
                            I'm the visual effects supervisor for Atlantis and wanted to invite you to post me comments on the show's effects. I'm looking for constructive comments that help me understand how people who are watching the show for the first time see what we've created.
                            and i haven't seen much Atlantis effects SO FAR, and i don't see anything on the site...so without a direct link i DO NOT BELIVE, and concider it SPAM, SRY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                              well the thing is the first sentances are and i haven't seen much Atlantis effects SO FAR, and i don't see anything on the site...so without a direct link i DO NOT BELIVE, and concider it SPAM, SRY!!!
                              I only looked at the site in a cursory manner, but I did read the interview with James Tichenor and comments from J.Tichenor in the forum. That is what led me to believe that Mr. Breakspear is indeed who he says he is. I doubt Mr. Tichenor would give an interview to someone who was running around the internet saying he was vfx supervisor for Atlantis when he wasn't.

Also saw Mark Breakspear listed on the team who won a Gemini for best visual effects (for Stargate SG-1) in 2003 so certainly seems plausible that Mark Breakspear got the nod to head up the vfx team for Atlantis.

http://www.geminiawards.ca/gemini18/...ominations.PDF

2003 AWARDS RESULTS
                              James Tichenor (Visual Effects Producer) Shannon Gurney (Visual Effects Coordinator) Craig Van Den Biggelaar(Senior Digital Effects Supervisor) Kevin Little (Digital Effects Supervisor) Mark Breakspear (Lead Compositor) Robin Hackl (Lead Compositor) Adam de Bosch Kemper (Lead Animator) Krista McLean (Lead CGI Artist)
                              For the episode "Revelations
                              Last edited by keshou; 11 May 2004, 09:07 AM.
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X