Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defying Gravity - News/Articles/Discussion (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defying Gravity - News/Articles/Discussion (Spoilers)

"Defying Gravity" is a new FOX TV scifi series (being filmed in Vancouver, CANADA) starring Ron Livingston (Band of Brothers, Standoff), Laura Harris (Women's Murder Club, Stargate Atlantis' The Game), Zahf Paroo (Stargate SG-1's First Commandment, Dark Angel, Andromeda) and Christina Cox (Blood Ties, Stargate SG1's Spirits and The Sentinel).

Some articles on the new series:

TV Guide Online: NEW SciFi Series Being Produced in Vancouver

At TV Guide Online:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Ron Livingston and Fox TV Are Defying Gravity

Nov 4, 2008 by Adam Bryant

Fox TV Studios is teaming with several international broadcasters to
    produce Defying Gravity, a 13-episode adventure drama series starring Office Space star Ron Livingston.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Fox will join Canada's CTV,
    Germany's ProSieben and the BBC to produce Gravity, a series from
    creator/exec producer James Parriott (Grey's Anatomy). The show is set
    in the near future and revolves around eight astronauts from five
    different countries who embark on a six-year exploration of the solar
    system. The first episode is set to begin production Jan. 19 in
    Vancouver.

Gravity follows Mental and Persons Unknown in a string of
    independently produced Fox TV Studios series to go into production
    with international partners. All three series will have a combined
    budget of more than $70 million and will produce 13 episodes. Once
    completed, Gravity will be shopped to U.S. networks as a finished product.

This model allows the studio to see more projects through at lower
    cost, providing more flexibility and the hope of greater profits ...

AND

Laura Harris/Christina Cox - The Guardian (UK): Defying Gravity

From The Guardian (UK):

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

BBC and Fox take flight for blockbuster drama series

by Ben Dowell

Wednesday 17 December 2008

The BBC is embarking on its first co-production with News Corporation
    subsidiary Fox – a 13-part drama series about astronauts.

Set in the near future, Defying Gravity will star Sex and the City and Band of Brothers actor Ron Livingston and will follow eight astronauts from five countries on a mysterious journey through the solar system. The project was inspired by the BBC drama-documentary series Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets, broadcast on BBC1 in 2004.

Defying Gravity begins filming in Canada in January and will be
    broadcast on BBC2 next year. Other confirmed cast members include 24
    actor Laura Harris [SGA's The Game] and Christine Cox [SGA's
    Whispers], whose credits include Stargate Atlantis.

The space travel drama is being co-produced by the BBC, Fox Television
    Studios and Omni Film Productions, in association with Canadian
    broadcasters CTV and SPACE and German broadcaster ProSieben.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

[NOTE: Ed Rocker is a background actor based in Vancouver, Canada, and has appeared in a wide variety of movies/tv productions, including Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, and will appear in Defying Gravity.]

Defying Gravity - Adventures of Ed Rocker - Blog Update Jan 20 '09:

At Ed Rockers' blog, Adventures of Ed Rocker:

Included in the blog update are photos of the background actors, and some actors are in costume.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Defying Gravity - Adventures of Ed Rocker - Blog Update Jan 22 '09:

At The Adventures of Ed Rocker blog:

More behind the scenes photos from a background performer (Ed Rocker) on the new FOX series.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I like the sound of this, every time their a conversation about a new scifi series that fans would like to see this type of series always seem to come, exploration of our solar system using near earth technology. I am glad someone finally listen.

And I immediately thought it was inspired by Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets when I started to read the article.
        I hope the acting the scripts are descent through.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this... but you had me at 'international'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

At Adventures of Ed Rocker:

Ed Rocker, the Vancouver background actor, was back on the set of 'Defying Gravity' again this week -- and the scenes were being filmed at Bridge Studios (home of Stargate).

Mission Control - Day 1

Mission Control - Day 2

Mission Control - Day 3

Photos of the other background performers -- and Ed notes that the length of assignments have been 12 hours. Wow, long days in the film business.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGU/Defying Gravity - The Adventures of Ed Rocker Blog Update Mar 2 '09:

At The Adventures of Ed Rocker blog update update for March 2, 2009:

NOTE: Ed Rocker is a background actor from Vancouver. He has appeared in several episodes of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville, Supernatural, and is now working on Defying Gravity. He also visited the set of Stargate Universe today. Photos at the site show the uniforms for Defying Gravity, and uniforms for SGU.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I will view anything Christina Cox is in! Get it?

Looks promising, I had not heard anything whatsoever about this series until seeing this thread. And on Fox - wonder how much support they will provide it in the end. One can hope for the best.
                ---------------------
                sigpic
                Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                  I will view anything Christina Cox is in! Get it?

Looks promising, I had not heard anything whatsoever about this series until seeing this thread. And on Fox - wonder how much support they will provide it in the end. One can hope for the best.
                  That the good thing the program is being produce independently by fox studios and will then be sold back to us broadcasters and not just Fox. Given that their are 4 separate broadcasters outside of the US involve in this it got a very good chance of surviving an prospering.

Comment

They were filming at the University of British Columbia last week (my campus)!

Nothing much to see right now. Me and my buddy walked by their Extras tent, and a catering truck. I half expected them to be Stargate, but they were still cool.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      They were filming at the University of British Columbia last week (my campus)!

Nothing much to see right now. Me and my buddy walked by their Extras tent, and a catering truck. I half expected them to be Stargate, but they were still cool.
                      Did you see anything cool. Nothing like ever happens at boring old Coventry.

Comment

Unfortunately no. Only saw the catering truck and the extras tent. My friend did say that they had used our resident Physics lab though.

Comment

This and Primval coming to US TV is a good sign. I thought we were giving up in the sci-fi market. Great!!
                          Q: Up all night on forums again?
                          A: "Indeed!" Teal'C Stargate: SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by rramarr View Post
                            This and Primval coming to US TV is a good sign. I thought we were giving up in the sci-fi market. Great!!
                            Contrary to popular views we are living in a period that have seen a revival in the scifi genre, but generally not called scifi, blame the advertising departments for that, Fringe, Lost, Heroes, and Doctor Who, Being Human, Tourchwood and Primeval, Eureka, Survivors, Smallville. The last 6 years has probably been some of the best scifi in a long time, certainly better than the late 90s where really we only had Xfiles doing anything interesting.
                            We have stuff like V, Caprica, and SGU and Warehouse 13 and Virtuality and Defying Gravity all in the next year. Most of them are consider light scifi and not the hardcore stuff which most people on here want through. Lost and Doctor who have to be thanks for it revival in the UK and US, as they both prove that scifi can be popular and mainstream. Now we just got to get the same audience watching more hardcore stuff.

This is before we even move on to the area of films where scifi base films have been some of the most successful films in the last decade.

Comment

At Ed Rocker's blog, more behind the scenes photos from 'Defying Gravity."

Ed Rocker is a Vancouver background actor.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X