Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I'd Love to see. More Space Battles.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'd Love to see. More Space Battles.

A movie which brings together the full cast of either SG-1, Atlantis or both with a full out space battle showing ALL of Earth's Vessel and them some.. (Lantians.. whatever) Whether it follows any current or previous storyline i don't care. Create a new storyline for all i care. I get a kick out of seeing our Earth Ships and Ancient ships in battle.

Space battles kind of take away the point of STARGATE.. I mean it's about gate travel not ship travel. If you want ships then watch star trek.. I love the space battles but it's just not the series..
    I'm gonna miss SG1..
    Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

Sounds pretty boring, tbh.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think having a big space battle would be great like the one in Camelot, but on a bigger scale and with a bit more time shown on TV.

However I dont think this should be the film, I think it should be the end of the film to properly finish off a really good storyline

Comment

I actually agree with you 100%, but you are going to be ripped a new one. A lot of fans on this message board like stargate purely because of the gate. They would be happy if an episode consisted of them dialing the gate, going through, dialing again, going through, dialing the gate, going through... The characters, politics and other storyline issues are secondary reasons to watch.

But I think you are spot on, the battle over the antarctic and at the supergate are two of the best moments in stargate - they managed to have visually stunning shots, fast paced action and told an actual story (or several stories in the case of the supergate battle). That is what made stargate so great, showing real people in extreme situations. While the gate is what allowed them to do that, it is a plot device, not a plot in its own right.

I am not belittling the gate, without it there would be no show, but if it was the only plot device open to the writers, then the show would become one dimensional, spaceflight and the space battles add a bit of variety. If they hadn't introduced Prometheus in season 6, there wouldn't have been a season 9.
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
            I actually agree with you 100%, but you are going to be ripped a new one. A lot of fans on this message board like stargate purely because of the gate. They would be happy if an episode consisted of them dialing the gate, going through, dialing again, going through, dialing the gate, going through... The characters, politics and other storyline issues are secondary reasons to watch.

But I think you are spot on, the battle over the antarctic and at the supergate are two of the best moments in stargate - they managed to have visually stunning shots, fast paced action and told an actual story (or several stories in the case of the supergate battle). That is what made stargate so great, showing real people in extreme situations. While the gate is what allowed them to do that, it is a plot device, not a plot in its own right.

I am not belittling the gate, without it there would be no show, but if it was the only plot device open to the writers, then the show would become one dimensional, spaceflight and the space battles add a bit of variety. If they hadn't introduced Prometheus in season 6, there wouldn't have been a season 9.
            Yes but on your same logic I can say that the show is becomeing one dimentional to the space craft.
            It seems now anymore that while having control over the gate matters, its more of who has the most ships and the most advanced weapons, it has taken us out of fighting our own kind of fight to fighting them at their level which has it advantages but at the same time takes away for the show.

What I want to see more of, like most people is battles like Heros, where controling the gate means everything.

Comment

Space battles are cool and all, but it's called Stargate. Which means they use the Stargate. And plus, I don't think the Ancients would fight us. They were much wiser than that. I can see them helping us, if they were still around, but not fighting us.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                Yes but on your same logic I can say that the show is becomeing one dimentional to the space craft.

What I want to see more of, like most people is battles like Heros, where controling the gate means everything.
                If I was proposing them abandoning the gate system and only using ships, then you would have a fair point - but I am suggesting that the show is better because they use BOTH the gate and ships (i.e. the gate is one dimension and ships are another), whereas some people wish earth had no ships and only used the gate (one dimension).

Also it has always been the case that those with the most ships is the powerful - thats why the writers brought in the Protected planets treaty, and then the chair. Without them, the goa'uld would have come and wiped us out from space, using ships. That was the point of the series in the first few years - if the goa'uld didn't have ships, the only threat would be through the gate so we would have sealed the gate. Without ships, stargate would not exist as a TV show. Since hyperdrive technology needs to exist in stargate, it would be ridiculous if earth never managed to understand how it utilise it.

But I also agree that more 'Heros' style battles would be great - I love the gate, I love space battles, I love ground battles - the more different types of storylines available, the better
                I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

thank god. im not the only stargate fan out there who believe in brigding genre. The gate has been there since day one, lets expand on it abit. jus coz theres ships involved doesnt mean its star trek. Who ever says that is an idiot who clearly has never watched any other sci-fi shows in there lives.

Get a grip an jus accept that stargate has to grow in order to get a wider audiance.

If u want there to be more stargate, there has to be space battles in order to draw in the old star trek audiance.

Deal with it an stop moanin.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesRobbo9886 View Post
                    thank god. im not the only stargate fan out there who believe in brigding genre. The gate has been there since day one, lets expand on it abit. jus coz theres ships involved doesnt mean its star trek. Who ever says that is an idiot who clearly has never watched any other sci-fi shows in there lives.

Get a grip an jus accept that stargate has to grow in order to get a wider audiance.

If u want there to be more stargate, there has to be space battles in order to draw in the old star trek audiance.

Deal with it an stop moanin.
                    Woah - Thats not the point I was making. I don't think stargate needs to change to attract new fans. I think it needs to evolve to avoid telling the same story 214 times. I am all for bridging genres, but it should be done for the right reasons - good storytelling, rather than the wrong reasons - attracting new fans (aka selling out)

Comment

Originally posted by ferrari20092 View Post
                      Space battles kind of take away the point of STARGATE.. I mean it's about gate travel not ship travel. If you want ships then watch star trek.. I love the space battles but it's just not the series..
                      Yeah same with a Star Trek series that takes place on a stationary space station

Comment

Originally posted by andy tyler View Post
                        Yeah same with a Star Trek series that takes place on a stationary space station
                        And when that became stale - they introduced the defiant, they needed new ways to tell stories. If you try to build up an entire series based on one novelty (a stargate, a space station) - you run out of stories fast.

People complain about ships in stargate, but I really believe that had they not introduced them, they would be complaining about repetitive storylines - more so then they already do.

Comment

But I think you are spot on, the battle over the antarctic and at the supergate are two of the best moments in stargate - they managed to have visually stunning shots, fast paced action and told an actual story (or several stories in the case of the supergate battle). That is what made stargate so great, showing real people in extreme situations.
                          I agree with you about these two battles, but not about most of them, particularly in later seasons of Atlantis. Both of these battles were integral--plot and character development continued throughout. They were riveting and their implications were huge. Unfortunately, space battles became a substitute for plot and character development rather than an enhancement.

Comment

Woah - Thats not the point I was making. I don't think stargate needs to change to attract new fans. I think it needs to evolve to avoid telling the same story 214 times. I am all for bridging genres, but it should be done for the right reasons - good storytelling, rather than the wrong reasons - attracting new fans (aka selling out)
                            sorry didnt mean to drag you into my point, with my friends an people i know i make no mistake about how much i love stargate. I proudly have my stargate DVDs on display so that anyone who walks in my room can see them. I take alot of light hearted stick off them about how much i love an know about the show, an have converted alot of my friends to stargate.

It jus really anoys me wen people say, oooo stargate has ships, there for its rippin off star trek. It jus shows the narrow mindedness off people, the ships are there to advance upon the story, not to replace the main point of the show.

I didnt mean stargate has to change to bring in more fans, but it does have to adapt if it hopes to attract a more main stream audiance.

Sorry again

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                              I agree with you about these two battles, but not about most of them, particularly in later seasons of Atlantis. Both of these battles were integral--plot and character development continued throughout. They were riveting and their implications were huge. Unfortunately, space battles became a substitute for plot and character development rather than an enhancement.
                              Fair point, I totally agree that the space battles in atlantis have been weak, but I that is because they are one-on-on, or one-on-two, and there is no sidestory. There are too many lazy storylines in atlantis - the reason why the two examples I gave worked so well is that the stories were well written and the battle was almost secondary to the main story.

But that is a reason to get rid of the atlantis writers, not get rid of space battles.

Comment

Working...
                              X