Roberto Orci on New Star Trek Movie Space Battles and Fan Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roberto Orci on New Star Trek Movie Space Battles and Fan Criticism

Sci Fi Wire posted a new interview with Star Trek movie writer Roberto Orci and here are few excerpts.

With regard to Star Trek, what would you say to fans who might take issue with portraying Kirk as a reckless youth, getting into bar fights with Starfleet cadets?

Orci: Well, they cite the quote that he was a stack of books with legs in the Academy. The truth is that in our movie there's nothing that precludes Kirk from being a stack of books at the Academy. What you see is what he is before the Academy. Some would argue that him being a rebellious bar fighter in our movie is absolutely consistent with canon.

With those lavish, epic-looking space battles, is it safe to say they are no longer inspired by submarine battles?

Orci: It's safe to say that that has not been totally thrown away, but imagine super-advanced submarines. It still maintains some of the maritime origin battle-wise, either a sub battle or ship to ship, cannon to cannon, Master and Commander battle. Just, I think, on a different pace.

Some fans also take issue with the idea that they're building the Enterprise on Earth, instead of assembling it in space. Care to respond?

Orci: The response is that the Enterprise is not, nor has it ever been, a pleasure yacht. It's a ship that's able to warp space around it to several times the weight of gravity. So the idea that it somehow couldn't handle one Earth atmosphere of gravity was not something I think anyone who would board that ship would ever want to contemplate. The rationale for building it into space is when you have flimsy things that never have to be in gravity, but that's not what the starship Enterprise is.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/01/...riticism.shtml

Well, I agree that Kirk would get into barfights. (Picard did, why not Kirk?)

The space battles are okay, but they look a little to Star-Warsy.....

The one thing I really have an issue with is building the Enterprise on earth. I mean, every canon source has said that it was built in space, just like all other Starfleet ships. Even the NX-01!

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
    Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

Working...
    X