This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel

This thread deals with time travel in all stargate episode.

So we all know time travel can follow certain rules.

Most shows deal with the "rules" inconsistently in order to tell a story.

1969 - They go through the gate and appear back on earth vs continuum and last man they travel from one gate to the next.

1969 - VERY GOOD TIME TRAVEL STORY. does not really involve the possibility of time changing and then having to be corrected (because hammond has always experienced the past where he meets SG1, though he is pretty cool about his knowledge of SGI in the episodes before 1969!!!) That being said they do go way into the future... is this bit going to be consistent with reality or will SG1 change this future... surely that would mean that they might not get back?

Window of Oppurtunity - Not strictly time travel but fun

2010 - This time dealing with an alternative reality to what will be. This is consisent with time travel theory detailed in 1969.

Moebius - This is where it starts going wrong. So SG1 go back in time causing the timelines to diverge requiring an alternative SG1 to go back in time to stop the divergence from happening (but not quite because there are now fish in O'Neills pond) Breaks a few rules about information (i.e. SG1 not doing anything doesn't make sense! but it also does... damn time travel.)

Before I sleep (atlantis) - Very clever episode. Consistent with 2010 and 1969 (if you ignore the casandra bit)

The Last Man -

Good ep, quite fun. Consistent with alt reality idea for time travel though again, information rules... Also why the hell didn't sheppard get loads of advanced tech from future mckay hologram? missed opp.

Continuum - Big plot holes with regard time travel. Baal travels back in time to 1930s. Presumably he stays there, what happens to the original Baal (from the 30s? who obviously knows nothing of us?) Also what happens to the device where he travels back in time from? My biggest gripe was the - people disappearing slowly for dramatic effect bit.... Really irritating.

Conclusion - Up until Continuum (which was a good film) Stargate were quite consistent with their time travel storylines, then they started going all Back to the future... My theory is that Baal gave his younger self an almanac telling him how to clone himself and all the football scores in the 21 century... Only problem with that strategy was that if people are going to play Baal they don't like being invaded by Baal. (Oh the things I do with words)

Theirs either back to the future time travel where u can change the past, or startrek time travel where u make an alternate reality. Im inclined to think both are possible >.>

Comment

My theory is that the future baal killed the old baal,

and that the solar flare time travel is different to the puddle jumper time travel..

Before I Sleep is much like Moebius (puddle jumper)

and 1969 is probably the only good-for-thought solar flare ep.

All the other solar flare time travel ep's (The Last Man, Continuum, 2010) changed the future

Comment

Originally posted by amforster View Post
        Conclusion - Up until Continuum (which was a good film) Stargate were quite consistent with their time travel storylines, then they started going all Back to the future... My theory is that Baal gave his younger self an almanac telling him how to clone himself and all the football scores in the 21 century... Only problem with that strategy was that if people are going to play Baal they don't like being invaded by Baal. (Oh the things I do with words)
        i always thought the future Ba'al came to the 1930's did what he had to do, then travelled back to the alternate future, just like how SG-1 went from the correct universe to the alternate one via stargate, ba'al went from the past to the alternate one he created via stargate.
        sigpic
        Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Kymeric, its both the same actually... Its like Back to the Future 2, when you go back to the past and alter it, you create a new timeline, and if you go forward in time, you go forward in the alternate timeline. When Mitchell fixed it, he went to the past, and and changed it, creating another alternate timeline where everything is normal and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarian View Post
            Kymeric, its both the same actually... Its like Back to the Future 2, when you go back to the past and alter it, you create a new timeline, and if you go forward in time, you go forward in the alternate timeline. When Mitchell fixed it, he went to the past, and and changed it, creating another alternate timeline where everything is normal and right.
            Still, Continuum doesnt make any sense when people start vanishing all over the place. Surely, when he went back in time he would have started a new reality and the current one would stay as it is? Thus spawning a new universe in its own right.

Comment

Working...
            X