This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate's the Sweet Spot

After watching GW's interview with BB, it really sounds like Stargate's the sweet spot for actors. It just seems so nice that they get to stay "normal" people while getting to be working actors. It sounds like he can walk around and even volunteer at a middle school without getting hounded and that's probably what a lot of real actors dream of.

RDA is obviously the Stargate exception, a few months ago I saw TMZ had a paparazzi bugging him while he took his mother grocery shopping .
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    After watching GW's interview with BB, it really sounds like Stargate's the sweet spot for actors. It just seems so nice that they get to stay "normal" people while getting to be working actors. It sounds like he can walk around and even volunteer at a middle school without getting hounded and that's probably what a lot of real actors dream of.

RDA is obviously the Stargate exception, a few months ago I saw TMZ had a paparazzi bugging him while he took his mother grocery shopping .
    Unfortunately (or however one looks at it) TMZ frequently "bug" him and get him on film, which they put on their website, and it is often uncomplimentary to him, even though he's always been a gentleman with them. They've also filmed him numerous times with his daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Unfortunately (or however one looks at it) TMZ frequently "bug" him and get him on film, which they put on their website, and it is often uncomplimentary to him, even though he's always been a gentleman with them. They've also filmed him numerous times with his daughter.
      Well he was a gentleman, and was very nice to them. It was just that it must be unnerving when not only are you being interviewed at publicity events, but also when you're running errands on a random day. Not to mention that if it's this bad when he's semi-retired, imagine how it must have been when he was actively pursuing work.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Well he was a gentleman, and was very nice to them. It was just that it must be unnerving when not only are you being interviewed at publicity events, but also when you're running errands on a random day. Not to mention that if it's this bad when he's semi-retired, imagine how it must have been when he was actively pursuing work.
        I agree.

Comment

But with Browder, okay, Mitchell's not my favorite character, but from the actor's POV, he's had the chance to star on two moderately successful shows, guest on some mega-successful ones, I'm sure he's well off financially, and he has all that, AND he still gets to live a relatively normal life with a real family like the rest of us do.

I'd say if he were even a hair more high-profile he'd lose that, so I think in retrospect a lot of the Hollywood Movie stars would envy that. Just look at how it's a big deal when a Hollywood Movie Star maintains a 5-year marriage. I believe Browder's been married for around 20!

I think if acting was the path that I was pursuing, I'd want a career like his.
          sigpic
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

It's also the kind of people these guys are. Ben Browder coaches kid's sports. Chris Judge's whole family are involved in community projects. RDA and Michael Shanks are involved with charities, as I believe Amanda Tapping is, as well. They are all people who put their families first, and don't paint the town red every week. This is a really good group of people.

Those that live in Vancouver definately have it better in being able to live a normal life. TMZ is appalling. I can't believe that they can get away with that, and that people don't feel a deep sense of shame watching that. I really feel for RDA, especially when he's with his mother or daughter. That's just so wrong.

Comment

I think most actors would choose to earn a few hundred grand a year (obviously a fairly comfortable life) and only have pretty much hardcore fans know who you are, as opposed to $5m a year and be hounded every waking minute of the day by bloody girlie mags and websites like TMZ. Well I would anyway!!

I also agree that the cast of both Stargate shows appear very grounded and I have never heard a bad story aired about any of their private lives. (maybe due to the profile of the show but no doubt if any of them played up big enough it would make the mainstream press)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                I think most actors would choose to earn a few hundred grand a year (obviously a fairly comfortable life) and only have pretty much hardcore fans know who you are, as opposed to $5m a year and be hounded every waking minute of the day by bloody girlie mags and websites like TMZ. Well I would anyway!!

I also agree that the cast of both Stargate shows appear very grounded and I have never heard a bad story aired about any of their private lives. (maybe due to the profile of the show but no doubt if any of them played up big enough it would make the mainstream press)
                Well RDA & Beau Bridges do fall into the mainstream category, as a matter of fact I believe the only current long running SNL sketch series spoofs MacGyver.

Btw, I think you might be off on your numbers, I'd be surprised if the Stargate stars don't hit the 7-figures mark annually (USD), I could be wrong though.

But overall yeah, I think most of the real actors in Hollywood would be happier with that setup.

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                It's also the kind of people these guys are. Ben Browder coaches kid's sports. Chris Judge's whole family are involved in community projects. RDA and Michael Shanks are involved with charities, as I believe Amanda Tapping is, as well. They are all people who put their families first, and don't paint the town red every week. This is a really good group of people.

Those that live in Vancouver definately have it better in being able to live a normal life. TMZ is appalling. I can't believe that they can get away with that, and that people don't feel a deep sense of shame watching that. I really feel for RDA, especially when he's with his mother or daughter. That's just so wrong.
                Well you're right, but even if say Tom Cruise, did have that "normal family man" demeanor (which he certainly doesn't), he couldn't get away with living such a normal life. That's why I think Browder, Judge, Tapping, Shanks and co. have hit the sweet spot in terms of success.
                sigpic
                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Yeah, I agree. And other than RDA and the occaisional fangirl that may pop up, I like the fact that smaller TV stars live rather normal lives and don't get hounded like your normal stock of people that fill the tabloids.

I know Torri Higginson does therapy work with her dog. Which is awesome.

Comment

I've gotta agree with what you've said here.
                    Any actor who isn't just in it for the money would be more than happy with a Stargate actors way of life.
                    As much as I'm looking forward to Universe I think if it becomes more main stream it could shed some more light on the franchise and some of the peace the actors currently get.

Does anyone think the cast of SG1 and SGA get the same opportunities to promote products like toiletries, clothing and other stuff as the more well known actors do?
                    Some of the people from Lost have promoted things, but perhaps they fall slightly higher up the 'List' than the Stargate actors do.

Oh, BTW cool topic, have some green Ripple In Space.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                      Does anyone think the cast of SG1 and SGA get the same opportunities to promote products like toiletries, clothing and other stuff as the more well known actors do?
                      Some of the people from Lost have promoted things, but perhaps they fall slightly higher up the 'List' than the Stargate actors do.
                      I think that they can do commercials, but they'd be treated more along the lines of a standard commercial spokes model rather than like a celebrity endorser. Though, Amanda Tapping was doing The More You Know Commercials following in the footsteps of well known folks like

Jennifer Aniston
                      Tom Brokaw
                      George Bush
                      Bill Clinton
                      George Clooney
                      Bill Cosby
                      Katie Couric
                      Kelsey Grammer
                      Neil Patrick Harris
                      John Lithgow
                      LL Cool J
                      Julia Louis-Dreyfus
                      Martin Sheen
                      Donald Trump

And RDA did one of the most expensive commercial campaigns, but again he's at another level.
                      sigpic
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Hi Folks,
                        Just a reminder that Actor's personal lives and finances are not topics allowed for discussion here at GateWorld. So please keep that in mind as you move on with the discussion

Enjoy the discussion.
                        Thank You
                        TameFarrar
                        GateWorld Moderator
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                        X