This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if they did make Stargate 2?

I'm talking about they finish the original trilogy envisioned by the original creators? Do you think it wouldn't do well? The original film wasn't received well, from what I can tell, and honestly I think the show and the two movies we have are better then what we got with the original film.

How would you guys feel if that happened? I would have mixed feelings, maybe even mad, because I want the characters I have fallen in love with to be in the big feature film, not the original ones.

However, I think eventually I would go see the movie. Would you guys?

I really really don't see that happening. But I would go see it.
    The Stargate franchise has came to far and to head back to the basic idea/plan of it would throw off the future of it...

But I would go see it just because it's Stargate, and I'd support it, just the same as I'm doing with Universe.

Comment

i probably would go see it, just to see how they envisioned the sg universe. Probably very different from that of the sg1 lot.

whether or not i'd enjoy wouldnt come into it, it'd be worth just to see where it could have gone

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
        I'm talking about they finish the original trilogy envisioned by the original creators? Do you think it wouldn't do well? The original film wasn't received well, from what I can tell, and honestly I think the show and the two movies we have are better then what we got with the original film.

How would you guys feel if that happened? I would have mixed feelings, maybe even mad, because I want the characters I have fallen in love with to be in the big feature film, not the original ones.

I majorly disagree, for me the original Star Gate is a classic. A fantastic and beautiful concept, very well executed. So what if its not the same as SG1? Doesn't matter. That movie is what pulled me in in the first place, and I'm not about to start slagging it off. Continuum was good, and close to it, but of course lacked the wonder and beauty of exploration that the first film captured. AoT? Nowhere close.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I wish they would finish the original trilogy.

Comment

yeah the original plan was to have a trilogy of movies, but thank goodness they didnt and gave SG1 a good ahead, because i didnt i really liked Stargate the movie really that much...idk y....XD

Comment

I did like the original movie, but I think SG1 and Atlantis have far surpassed it, plus to go back now wouldn't be the best move IMO.
              Unless another big budget feature film connected to the 1994 original could offer something more than the shows have I don't think it would be worth making it.
              I'd rather see a feature film directly connected to the shows or have the money put into SG1 and SGA movies, or more SGU seasons if the first one's really good.
              Even a crossover mini-series to continue SG1 and SGA would be cool to see and make more sense to see at this point in the franchise.

I don't really go to the cinema that much, although I hope to get the chance to go and see the new Star Trek and Terminator films, if a new Stargate film or films could do what they appear to be doing then perhaps they could work, but I'd probably just end up buying them on DVD or Bluray.

Comment

There was a lot of talk about this a year or two ago, and it seemed like another wa in the works, ithe the original actors. The idea was that it would be a sequel to the first movie, but not related to the TV shows, or the mythology that was developed there, in any way. Sounded like a fine idea to me, but I haven't heard any more about it. That doesn't mean that it's not still in the works, somehow. Something like this would involve a lot of negotiation, if it is still being considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  Continuum was good, and close to it, but of course lacked the wonder and beauty of exploration that the first film captured.
                  Yeah I agree. I always thought that given a bigger budget and more time/consideration from all parties (actor schedules, producer, writers, etc.) Continuum could have been as much a sequel to the original movie as it was the first SG-1 standalone DVD.

Really it was just Jack & Daniel finishing off the Goa'uld, a job they started in the Original. Jack would've had to have been in there longer, but that's what I meant by more time consideration.
                  sigpic
                  "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                    Yeah I agree. I always thought that given a bigger budget and more time/consideration from all parties (actor schedules, producer, writers, etc.) Continuum could have been as much a sequel to the original movie as it was the first SG-1 standalone DVD.

Really it was just Jack & Daniel finishing off the Goa'uld, a job they started in the Original. Jack would've had to have been in there longer, but that's what I meant by more time consideration.
                    Indeed, plus a much bigger fast jet fight with the gliders.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I honestly can't see any way it would work. Would you go back to Kurt Russel and James Spader? Would they even be willing to do it?
                      I know the original writers have said they wanted to finish their trilogy, but I don't think they can. The decision simply isn't up to them. MGM owns the rights to Stargate (ALL Stargate), and I doubt they'll give Devlin and Emmerich the chance to finish their trilogy because MGM is fully backing Bridge Studios and the SG-1/SGA/SGU incarnations of Stargate.

Plus, no matter how I may feel personally about the original movie, it just wasn't successful enough to sustain two more movies, especially this late in the game. MGM will continue to back projects that they feel will make them money... at this point, that doesn't include a continuation of the original movie.

Oh, but if they did do it somehow, I would go to see it... but I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy the current DVD movies.
                      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

i'd go see it i would love to see the james spader daniel jackson go on

Comment

I honestly can't see any way it would work. Would you go back to Kurt Russel and James Spader? Would they even be willing to do it?
                          I know the original writers have said they wanted to finish their trilogy, but I don't think they can. The decision simply isn't up to them. MGM owns the rights to Stargate (ALL Stargate), and I doubt they'll give Devlin and Emmerich the chance to finish their trilogy because MGM is fully backing Bridge Studios and the SG-1/SGA/SGU incarnations of Stargate.

Plus, no matter how I may feel personally about the original movie, it just wasn't successful enough to sustain two more movies, especially this late in the game. MGM will continue to back projects that they feel will make them money... at this point, that doesn't include a continuation of the original movie.
                          Well, it was MGM that was talking to Devlin and Emmerich... They may have changed their minds after seeing just how cost effective the direct-to-DVD movies are, but they were interested at one point.. I don't see that one project necessarily takes away from the other, especially since MGM doesn't seem inclined to make a theatrical release SG-1 movie. I'd rather have a whole bunch of 7 million dollar movies than only have one with a larger budget and a theatrical release. We'd still be getting Firefly movies if they'd gone the direct-to-DVD route.

Comment

Originally posted by stevencastelein View Post
                            i'd go see it i would love to see the james spader daniel jackson go on
                            You did. MS played that Daniel Jackson very well for about five years! It's uncanny how he copied Spader's mannerisms in the first few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                              Well, it was MGM that was talking to Devlin and Emmerich... They may have changed their minds after seeing just how cost effective the direct-to-DVD movies are, but they were interested at one point.. I don't see that one project necessarily takes away from the other, especially since MGM doesn't seem inclined to make a theatrical release SG-1 movie. I'd rather have a whole bunch of 7 million dollar movies than only have one with a larger budget and a theatrical release. We'd still be getting Firefly movies if they'd gone the direct-to-DVD route.
                              Really? I'd only heard it the other way around, that Devlin and Emmerich wanted to do it and tried to approach MGM, who never really seemed interested as far as I could tell. *shrug* I guess it's hard to tell for sure how interested MGM is in doing it, though.

I imagine it would be really hard to negotiate the copyrights. I know that as it is, the characters of Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson are under a different copyright or something, because they came from the original movie, not from the TV series... so Devlin and Emmerich might have to make sure they didn't take anything from the TV series, etc. because of the separate copyright. I'm just glad I don't have to do the paperwork.
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                              X