Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new technology would you like to see in SGU?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What new technology would you like to see in SGU?

I apologize if there's already a thread like this out there but I could'nt find it out there so there you go.

basically what new technology would you like to see in SGU. what would you like the Destiny to have? what would you like them to find? what would you like other races they encouter to have? lets let our imagination run wild!!

I'll go first. Personally and I know this has been done by basically every sci-fi show and game out there I would like the Destiny to have its own shipbourne AI. I would love to see this kinda thing cause we never really saw it in Atlantis or SG1 so it would cool. But I would like the AI to be human to a certain extent - more like Cortana from Halo that the computer in Star Trek in my opinion. On the bridge of the Destiny they could have a holo-pad where he/she/it could appear and make tactical anaylisis and stuff like that and also you would be able to interface with it directly from any other control consoles on the ship and talk with he/she/it.

I knwo its kinda sci-fi cheesyness incarnate but Ive always loved Ai in other shows and games in the past so I think it would be awsome in Universe.

thoughts anyone?
    Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

None.

I despise sci-fi tech. There are many kinds of sci-fi fans, and I got into Stargate for the same reason I got into X-Files. A here and now setting, with a highly unusual twist to it. I LIKE regular guns against aliens and demons. I like real life problems. Futuristic tech, is for the OTHER kind of fan, those who's favourite shows include Star Trek. Both kinda are equally valid, but whilst I enjoy Star Trek, I'm not a 'fan'.

So for me, I kinda hope SGU see's little to no tech on the Destiny, and that which is there, is impossible to use.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'd like to see some kind of exo space suit that could be used for fighting in harsh environments.

Comment

i would like to see "capture and use an ascended being as a poewrsource 'o'machine"

AtlantisAssassin, you show watch 'andromeda'
        ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

-An AI would be nice, it would explain why the team is unable to change the Destiny's course. The AI might prevent them, and in order to change the course they would have to change the AI.

-I would also like to see technology on board the Destiny that can create food, water and other necessary items.

- Ancient healing technoloy, in Atlantis most of the medicine was human. They used Ancient diagnostic equipment, but not Ancient healing tech. I would like to see this on the Destiny.

-Alien space stations, and in general more advanced Alien technology. I am really hoping there will be many advanced Alien civillizations in SGU, each with their own unique technology.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze;9542574[B
            ]-An AI would be nice, it would explain why the team is unable to change the Destiny's course. The AI might prevent them, and in order to change the course they would have to change the AI.[/B]
            -I would also like to see technology on board the Destiny that can create food, water and other necessary items.

- Ancient healing technoloy, in Atlantis most of the medicine was human. They used Ancient diagnostic equipment, but not Ancient healing tech. I would like to see this on the Destiny.

-Alien space stations, and in general more advanced Alien technology. I am really hoping there will be many advanced Alien civillizations in SGU, each with their own unique technology.
            that would be a good one, it would be the explination for how the ship is still running for this long, and it could be the source of where we get our intel from for missions and coordinates.
            something along the lines of
            Spoiler:

or
            Spoiler:

KEEP IT CLEAN
            Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
            Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
              -An AI would be nice, it would explain why the team is unable to change the Destiny's course. The AI might prevent them, and in order to change the course they would have to change the AI.

I would like to see Ancient healing devices as well.
              sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                Well I don't know if there will be some kind of healing device on the ship, because there is a sentence in the character description:
                Tamara Jon
                She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do.

So I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
                  AtlantisAssassin, you show watch 'andromeda'
                  I have and although its kinda interesting, theres just something that puts me off and I dunno why.

me and a friend were talking about this and I was thinking something similer. it could be like they wake the AI from "standby" mode when they arrive and ask her to return the ship to the Milky Way and Earth and she says something like "My core protocols prevent me from accessing navigation and doing so and although I can make course corrections to avoid hazards, I cannot deterimne the ship course" kinda thing. then they could try and do it themselves but the computer is protected by a ecryption thats so old they don't have a way of cracking it.

another bit of technology I would like to see is some kind of starmap/lab kinda place likeastrometricsin star trek voyager where the crew could see the ship progress and where they're heading
                  Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

I'd like to see the use of Exo-Skeletons. Not widely used. But for certain missions that may require the use of extra strength.
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I'm thinking that any new tech will be introduced slowly.

There have been some very good discussions about what they are going to do for food, water, and what-not. My suspicion is that after an appropriate length of time, enough for dramatic tension to build, the crew will discover a solution. This could be a food/water replicator system, some other kind of weaponry, additional flying vehicles, a medical system... heck they may just need to figure out how the elevators or toilets work.

Things I'd like to see (or I suspect will be included):

a.) some form of transport, similar to the "jumpers" from SGA, but not requiring the Ancient gene to use.

b.) high tech weapons, both small arms and larger types. I wouldn't want this to be introduced until maybe the 2nd season.

c.) better forms of communcation. Something which includes video.

d.) a high tech med system, but something that they actually have to use or monitor in some way. The Goa'uld sarcophagus was kinda' lame.

e.) some sort of replication system, but it requires matter to be put in for it to make stuff. None of this Star Trek making a cup "tea, Earl Grey, hot" out of the energy from the ship's engine.

More as it comes to me....

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        None.

I despise sci-fi tech. There are many kinds of sci-fi fans, and I got into Stargate for the same reason I got into X-Files. A here and now setting, with a highly unusual twist to it. I LIKE regular guns against aliens and demons. I like real life problems. Futuristic tech, is for the OTHER kind of fan, those who's favourite shows include Star Trek. Both kinda are equally valid, but whilst I enjoy Star Trek, I'm not a 'fan'.

So for me, I kinda hope SGU see's little to no tech on the Destiny, and that which is there, is impossible to use.

I agree with some of your comments. The big mistake most sci-fi writers make is that they focus too much on the technology.

I don't think you're being very fair by saying there's two kinds of fans "those who love technology and those who don't." Technology is a part of our lives, and in most television shows we don't even notice it's there.

Take HOUSE MD for example, they're using MRI's Catscans and all sorts of other equipment all the time that years ago would have absolutely been 'sci-fi future tech.' But the show isn't ABOUT the MRI as many sci-fi's make their shows about the technology in it.

My point is it's about balance. Just becuase you have a here and now setting doesn't mean there's no place for technology. It just has to be used as it would naturally in real life so it doesn't distract from the story.
                        I wonder if Teal'c ever has a bad hair day?

Linky
                        Survey Safari

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCarter View Post
                          I agree with some of your comments. The big mistake most sci-fi writers make is that they focus too much on the technology.

I don't think you're being very fair by saying there's two kinds of fans "those who love technology and those who don't." Technology is a part of our lives, and in most television shows we don't even notice it's there.

Take HOUSE MD for example, they're using MRI's Catscans and all sorts of other equipment all the time that years ago would have absolutely been 'sci-fi future tech.' But the show isn't ABOUT the MRI as many sci-fi's make their shows about the technology in it.

My point is it's about balance. Just becuase you have a here and now setting doesn't mean there's no place for technology. It just has to be used as it would naturally in real life so it doesn't distract from the story.
                          To be fair, I was probably generalising quite a lot and you do raise good points.

But there's a lot of people who really CARE about the advanced tech, desperate for more ships, space age weaponry, amazing healing tech etc - and then there's people like me, who couldn't care less, and want present day or cutting edge stuff, but not amazing high tech gear... you know?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's not necessarily a "new" technology but I want to see Ancient ring transporters. The Ancients apparently invented them, but we haven't seen them anywhere except the antarctica outpost.

I always loved the sound and visual effects of the rings.
                            My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

maybe some compact form of the X-699, because if they continue with the projectile weapons they'll run out of ammo pretty early in the series unless they have some sort of matter energy conversion like the asgard to make bullets, but then if they can make bullets then why cant they make ancient energy weapons, so they'll probly end up using X-699s or ancient energy weapons

also how will they do laundry?

Comment

Working...
                              X