• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save Vala Mal Doran in the SG-1 movies!

Updated Jan. 15/2009:

+++++++++++++++

Original post:

This thread was created as a reaction to the news that started the new year off with much disappointment for Vala (and Stargate) fans. Here is the comment many of us hoped we would never read:

Spoiler:
    Libkat writes: “Rumors persist that you aren’t a big fan of Vala as a character. Will Claudia Black continue to have a place in the SG1 movie universe? I adore the way Vala kept the snarky side of Daniel Jackson alive after RDA left the show and CB and MS have terrific chemistry.”

BW: I thought Claudia was terrific in Continuum, but Vala won’t be returning in the third movie.

And let us not forget that the only reason Vala/CB had more than one line in Continuum was because RCC pushed a storyline for Qetesh, instead of simply banishing her to the background of all of Ba’al’s scenes.

Before I go on, let me just say:
    - This is a thread to support a character and actor that has been neglected
    - This is NOT an Anti-S1-8 thread
    - This is NOT a PRO-S9/10 thread.
    - This is NOT a Vala/CB appreciation thread (ie, for pic spamming.)
    - This is NOT a ship thread.
    - This is NOT a Jack-bashing thread.

I've been an avid viewer since season one, I grew up with the Jack-led team and he was definitely a part of why I kept watching. But we live in a reality where Jack left, and Vala (and Cam) joined. And not just joined the show but joined the team (for references to these events please consult episode [9x01] "Avalon", and episode [10x08] "Memento Mori"). Like it or not, no one can deny that Vala is the newest member of SG-1, patches, bruises, returns from the dead, and all!

And now, in the third installment since the series was canceled, Vala/CB will not be present. Why? There is no reason forthcoming from Brad Wright (who is the one writing the third movie) but for those who remember earlier comments and omissions in interviews, we can formulate an educated hypothesis: she's seen as superfluous. Expendable. Won't be missed.

But Vala Mal Doran is not expendable. Claudia Black, and her character Vala, not only bring a new energy and vitality to the series, but she revives her fellow actors (not to mention the writers.) Michael Shanks said in an interview that Claudia Black has "not only reinvigorated my passion for doing this show...she's reinvigorated my passion for action period" and that he'd stay as long as she did. The writers and fans of Stargate loved Claudia Black so much that she was asked to return to the series a second time, even though it meant rewriting the Ori plotline to accommodate her pregnancy.

And the issue goes far beyond this individual character! I think it's been proven what happens when the PTB start throwing away characters. As was said on Joe Mallozzi's blog: "BW: Folks, if Atlantis was performing brilliantly in the ratings, it would still be on the air." SGA couldn't be renewed because it lost so many ratings and I have a sinking feeling that SG-1 movies will suffer the same fate now that they're throwing away members of SG-1.

I know I'm not the only one to feel this way, and I hope there are even more out there that I don't know yet. I know there's a great temptation to just walk away and let the PTB do to SG-1 what the RepliTerminator did to Cam in Ark of Truth by continuing with this attitude of contempt and neglect for the fans. But we do have a chance! We have a chance to rally together and express our disappointment. It was fans working together, refusing to give up, that brought Carson back and it's we fans that need to raise our collective fist in protest to save Vala. We have to unite with all of our talents! Writers. Artists. Vidders. We need to be heard, we need to be seen, we need to be felt throughout this fandom!

I invite any and all comments/contributions to the cause so long as they respect the criteria mentioned earlier in the post.

-----------------------------

References:
    Spoiler:

All Brad Wright quotes were taken from Joe Mallozzi's Blog: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

The Michael Shanks quote was transcribed by Stef from the Hypaspace interview, and can be found on YouTube at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9MvQ_W_ds
    Last edited by Milena_D; 15 January 2009, 11:35 AM.
    ||My Fanfiction: FF.net & My LJ || Vala Multi-Shipping LJ Comm||

Banner made by Stef!

meh, black is probably off doing other stuff

Comment

Yay! I'm so excited to see a thread like this pop up. I can't say how disappointed I was to read about BW's decision to exclude Vala from this next film She is by far my favorite character on the show and as much as I love everyone else, it just won't feel the same without her there!

I think I'll try and make some banners and various pieces of artwork to use for sigs and stuff if anyone wants them sometime later today or tomorrow Hope to see some more people pop over and express their feelings on this!

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'm completely for support of this! Vala needs to remain as she is Sg1, and she is part of the show. More to the point, if she gets fed up at being written out, she'l quit, then Michael Shanks will leave like you quoted, and with that, SG1 will be even less than what it originally was.

I'd love an avatar or signature protesting this. Good idea Stef.

Comment

I'm in.

As great as SG-1 was with Jack, that time is over. I would have expected TPTB to look forwards and develop new story lines and new adventures. Sadly, they just can't seem to let go of what's been.

Stef, that is a gorgeous sig. Gorgeous.
          sigpic

Comment

I'd also like to say thank you to Milena D for making this topic, but more so for how you wonderfully worded it. 100% better than what I could have done!

Comment

This is a bad decision. I said many times, SGA's downfall started when they begun killing off/writing out regular cast members. IMO, it did not become a better show - if it did, it would still be on air, and not canceled.

Vala had earned her place on the team. She briengs something special into the whole mix, and without her SG - 1 won't be the same, it will be very different, and not in a better way. You guys have my full support.
              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                meh, black is probably off doing other stuff
                That may be the case but all of his wordings imply otherwise. Since the news came out about the third movie, he's left us with the impression that he didn't intend to even approach Claudia Black. He did pretty much the same in Continuum, like I mentioned above. If it was Claudia Black who couldn't do the movie, I'd be upset at not seeing Vala but I'd know that at least it wasn't a deliberate exclusion of a character because the writer didn't care for her.

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                Yay! I'm so excited to see a thread like this pop up. I can't say how disappointed I was to read about BW's decision to exclude Vala from this next film She is by far my favorite character on the show and as much as I love everyone else, it just won't feel the same without her there!

I think I'll try and make some banners and various pieces of artwork to use for sigs and stuff if anyone wants them sometime later today or tomorrow Hope to see some more people pop over and express their feelings on this!

-Stef
                That's the spirit!! We desperately need some visuals to unite and represent us! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                I'm completely for support of this! Vala needs to remain as she is Sg1, and she is part of the show. More to the point, if she gets fed up at being written out, she'l quit, then Michael Shanks will leave like you quoted, and with that, SG1 will be even less than what it originally was.

I'd love an avatar or signature protesting this. Good idea Stef.
                Exactly! One by one the actors will leave or the characters will be removed and Stargate SG-1 will simply cease to exist. I'm glad to have you with us!

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                I'm in.

As great as SG-1 was with Jack, that time is over. I would have expected TPTB to look forwards and develop new story lines and new adventures. Sadly, they just can't seem to let go of what's been.

Welcome aboard! That's exactly what it seems to be. And honestly they have *so* much there waiting to be embraced, I just don't understand it.

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                I'd also like to say thank you to Milena D for making this topic, but more so for how you wonderfully worded it. 100% better than what I could have done!
                Thank you, Automission! But I have to admit that this post was written over a couple of hours, and it went through many drafts and revisions and edits (done by myself and by Stef) to remove most of the...shall we say, *hostility* it once had. Hopefully it now sounds more like the rational argument I wanted to make in the first place

Banner made by Stef!

Comment

If the third movie is
                  Spoiler:
                  a remake of The Children of The Gods

Why would Vala be there?

edit:

I'm not saying I don't like the character or the actor (in fact, she's one of my favourites) but
                  Spoiler:
                  she wouldn't fit in. Maybe a cameo appearance by Qetesh

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    This is a bad decision. I said many times, SGA's downfall started when they begun killing off/writing out regular cast members. IMO, it did not become a better show - if it did, it would still be on air, and not canceled.
                    Hear hear!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    Vala had earned her place on the team. She briengs something special into the whole mix, and without her SG - 1 won't be the same, it will be very different, and not in a better way. You guys have my full support.
                    I completely agree! And I found that she not only brought her own presence to the show but also drew something out of each of the characters that we hadn't seen (or seen often, anyway) before. At the very least, no one can deny she brought out a seldom-seen side of Daniel

Banner made by Stef!

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                      If the third movie is
                      Spoiler:
                      a remake of The Children of The Gods

Why would Vala be there?

edit:

I'm not saying I don't like the character or the actor (in fact, she's one of my favourites) but
                      Spoiler:
                      she wouldn't fit in. Maybe a cameo appearance by Qetesh
                      From what I've read, the re-release of Children of the Gods is only going to be a re-edited version of the original ep. Deleted scenes to be added, others to be removed, etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with the third movie. If you look HERE, you'll find a report from Comic Con where "Wright said there very well be another Stargate movie as well as a re-release of Children of the Gods. He also said it "looks good" for the Stargate Universe series."

If it had indeed been the case that the third movie was a reshoot of CotG, then yes, I would agree that Vala's (and CB's) presences wouldn't be logical.

Banner made by Stef!

Comment

The whole line about SGA being cancelled because the ratings didn't hold up is a load of bull. How can they say that if they also say that SGA's ratings were going up and it was a joint decision in the cancellation.

As for Claudia Black not returning... She is one of my favorite characters in the Stargate world, she is funny and witty and makes Daniel more realistically human by proving his passion for another human even though he also realistically can't stand her. It also keeps his characters personality by proving that he still believes theres a moral human side to everyone. Without her, I can't see his character being the same as it always has been since his character has really changed since the beginning of the series.

That's my view atleast.

Comment

It could just be the story doesn't call for it. I mean the whole movie is going to have an emphasis on Jack O'Neill. There's no point having her in it if there's no reason for her to be there.

I'd rather the producers use the money for other stuff like better settings or more VFX.
                          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!! Go milena for creating this thread!
                            you have written that in an awesome way, well done!

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                            I'm in.

i wouldve too, but as i see it they'd rather re-evolve the series to its earlier state then evolve it to a new level, which is very sad.

Originally posted by LightningSt View Post
                            As for Claudia Black not returning... She is one of my favorite characters in the Stargate world, she is funny and witty and makes Daniel more realistically human by proving his passion for another human even though he also realistically can't stand her. It also keeps his characters personality by proving that he still believes theres a moral human side to everyone. Without her, I can't see his character being the same as it always has been since his character has really changed since the beginning of the series.

That's my view atleast.
                            you've worded that so beautiful, thats totally what i think

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                              It could just be the story doesn't call for it. I mean the whole movie is going to have an emphasis on Jack O'Neill. There's no point having her in it if there's no reason for her to be there.

I'd rather the producers use the money for other stuff like better settings or more VFX.
                              I agree, if the story doesn't dictate it, I don't see the point of her inclusion. I think Vala'a a great character, I really do, but seeing her character shoehorned in would probably be a disservice to both the movie and the character.

Vala, while you've gotta love her, is a character who kind of, for lack of a better term, thrusts herself into the limelight, she's a scene-stealer. And that's not a bad thing! That's just who the character is. In the next movie, I'm hoping for some real team moments, where all the characters get a chance to shine, and I think it is hard to do that with Vala around. Again, love the character, really I honestly do, and I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing her here, but is the assembly instructions don't require a screw, you don't use a screw. Maybe for the story that this movie is to tell, Vala is a screw.
                              Rocky

Comment

Working...
                              X