Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skimpy Outfits - Did Stargate Atlantis Ever Use Them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this is getting out of hand. I'm not going to get involved in another *snip* argument.

I'll just say this: yes, obviously Teyla's outfit is meant for titillation to some degree; however, it still makes sense in-Universe IMHO. We've seen her fight in them; she fights fine in them; in fact, she can easily kick all of our asses in them.

The clothes doesn't make the fighter; the fighter should be able to fight well no matter what clothes he/she is wearing. Any obsticles in the clothes would just make the fighter better at avoiding the follies of those obsticles. That's how you train and exercise: by giving yourself "arbitrary" challenges to overcome.

And lastly, yes, the culture is important too. Why do women on Earth wear high heels when they are painful and difficult to walk in? They're impractical, and yet women still wear them, because men deem it attractive in our culture. No matter how impractical you may think Teyla's dress is, if it's part of her culture, then who are we to denounce that it makes no sense, when bits of our culture seems ridiculous as well?
    Last edited by kiwigater; 23 December 2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      You can't be serious. The idea that those parts are going cause a problem is ridiculous, wrapping round her legs? LOL! What she's wearing is practical, while also showing off a bit of her culture. You're creating a problem where there isn't one.
      They could very well wrap around her legs. They are longish strips of fabric that are just hanging there. In the heat of battle, they can wrap themselves or get snagged on things, body parts, whatever.

They are not practical.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Stuff.
      This would make sense if Teyla ever wore anything like that outside of sparring. She doesn't... ever. So when, exactly, would she be able to make good of this random "special" training involving restrictive random frilly-ish skirts and tops?

Whenever she gets kidnapped and forced into clothes such as them or something?

And lastly, yes, the culture is important too. Why do women on Earth wear high heels when they are painful and difficult to walk in? They're impractical, and yet women still wear them, because men deem it attractive in our culture.
      Yes, and I would never wear something extremely painful and difficult to move in just for the sake of looking better.

No matter how impractical you may think Teyla's dress is, if it's part of her culture, then who are we to denounce that it makes no sense, when bits of our culture seems ridiculous as well?
      Why can I not denounce it when I denounce parts of Earth culture as well? Culture is not beyond criticism or denouncement.

As I said, in Chinese culture, parents often kill their daughters because they value sons over daughters. Can we not call this "stupid" or denounce it because it's a part of a culture?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        This would make sense if Teyla ever wore anything like that outside of sparring. She doesn't... ever. So when, exactly, would she be able to make good of this random "special" training involving restrictive random frilly-ish skirts and tops?

Whenever she gets kidnapped and forced into clothes such as them or something?
        What part of "a fighter is not defined by his/her clothes" did I not make clear? What kind of incompetent fighter is useless in clothes he/she doesn't train in?

Some people have special clothes they wear when they exercise that they don't wear anywhere else. For humans, it happen to be sweatpants or T-shirts or spandex; for Teyla, it's THAT. So what?

By the way, Teyla does wear tight tops fairly often outside training; i.e. that purple one. The skirt seems to be a special exercise thing though.

Why can I not denounce it when I denounce parts of Earth culture as well? Culture is not beyond criticism or denouncement.

As I said, in Chinese culture, parents often kill their daughters because they value sons over daughters. Can we not call this "stupid" or denounce it because it's a part of a culture?
        That's not what I'd do. No matter how I feel about another culture I wouldn't insult it. At least, I would never call it stupid.

But anyways, I suppose you have a point. However, it seems to me that the existence of a certain bit of culture is independent of how impractical or stupid it may be. Thus, Teyla's exercise/training clothes can exist within the Stargate universe, even if you think they're impractical.

And that's all I wanted out of this.

Comment

What part of "a fighter is not defined by his/her clothes" did I not make clear? What kind of incompetent fighter is useless in clothes he/she doesn't train in?
          Why part of "Why would you deliberately constantly train in clothes you never wear, making you unfamiliar with combat when wearing the clothes you normally wear" (and I asked you this days ago) was too Canadian French for you to grasp?

Why train in clothes you never ever wear instead of clothes you do wear in order to get more in touch of your limits, your inner potential and get used to fighting in the clothes you usually wear? So what if she randomly becomes good at fighting in frilly skirts?

She never wears them. It makes no sense to adapt your style to them when you should be adapting them to your fighting abilities in BDUs and whatever else she normally wears. It's kinda like John training himself in becoming good with a 9 mill and neglecting training with P-90s and whatever it is they were wielding towards the end there, thus becoming unfamiliar with the gun he actually uses in combat.

What happens when she does a maneuver and miscalculate it since her clothes allowed for more/different movement than that skirt? She might trip up, fall and get killed for it.

Some people have special clothes they wear when they exercise that they don't wear anywhere else. For humans, it happen to be sweatpants or T-shirts or spandex; for Teyla, it's THAT. So what?
          Spandex, sweatpants and T-shirts make perfect sense since they allow for maximinal movement.

Frilly skirts with long pieces of fabric just hanging there just begging to get in the way? Not so much.

By the way, Teyla does wear tight tops fairly often outside training; i.e. that purple one. The skirt seems to be a special exercise thing though.
          And as I said, the top isn't that bad. The skirt, however, is. She doesn't even wear skirts, like, ever.

That's not what I'd do. No matter how I feel about another culture I wouldn't insult it. At least, I would never call it stupid.
          That is you.

In your original reply to me calling it stupid, you actually said I had no right to call it stupid (paraphrase), as if it's off limits simply for being part of a culture.

But anyways, I suppose you have a point. However, it seems to me that the existence of a certain bit of culture is independent of how impractical or stupid it may be. Thus, Teyla's exercise/training clothes can exist within the Stargate universe, even if you think they're impractical.

And that's all I wanted out of this.
          Of course it can. I can still think it is (and voice my opinion) stupid and impractical. But it can still exist in her fictional universe.

Comment

Ok, this is getting out of hand. I'm not going to get involved in another *snip* argument.

I'll just say this: yes, obviously Teyla's outfit is meant for titillation to some degree; however, it still makes sense in-Universe IMHO. We've seen her fight in them; she fights fine in them; in fact, she can easily kick all of our asses in them.

The clothes doesn't make the fighter; the fighter should be able to fight well no matter what clothes he/she is wearing. Any obsticles in the clothes would just make the fighter better at avoiding the follies of those obsticles. That's how you train and exercise: by giving yourself "arbitrary" challenges to overcome.

And lastly, yes, the culture is important too. Why do women on Earth wear high heels when they are painful and difficult to walk in? They're impractical, and yet women still wear them, because men deem it attractive in our culture. No matter how impractical you may think Teyla's dress is, if it's part of her culture, then who are we to denounce that it makes no sense, when bits of our culture seems ridiculous as well?
            But skimpy cloths means disrespect for the women and displaying her as a sex object to attract more male veiwers. Media Literacy 101!

go skimpy if somehow her cloths are damaged and just happened to rip like that or its a cultural thing we meet with an alien society where women are openly subjugated as our (US and Canada mainly) culture has a subtle tinge of sexism making it impossible to extinguish.

sorry, I feel VERY cynical tonight

Comment

That's it. I see no point in continuing this. Obviously the minutae is more important for you than it is for me. You admit that it can exist; I think it can exist; the others things we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

They could very well wrap around her legs. They are longish strips of fabric that are just hanging there. In the heat of battle, they can wrap themselves or get snagged on things, body parts, whatever.

They are not practical.
                You have a vivid imagination. All she's doing is training in it, as if she's going to start getting tangled up in things

Comment

Hey FallenAngelII, <mod snip> because you're fighting a losing arguement and about to get us all in trouble here.

Now, to focus on the practical purpose of Teyla's (if skimpy) sparring outfit.

The skirts pannels could be there for the same purpose of the Chinese Qiang (spear). The tassel of the spear serves to distract one from the actual spear head.

This be the same purpose regarding the skirt.

Think about it. You're too busy watching the skirt and don't realize what she's about to do you.
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 25 December 2008, 08:10 AM.
                  Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                  Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    You have a vivid imagination. All she's doing is training in it, as if she's going to start getting tangled up in things
                    And the question would be: Why is she training in them? And you don't need a vivid imagination to see that those things can get tangled in things or at the very least get in the way of free movement.

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                    Now, to focus on the practical purpose of Teyla's (if skimpy) sparring outfit.

The skirts pannels could be there for the same purpose of the Chinese Qiang (spear). The tassel of the spear serves to distract one from the actual spear head.

Think about it. You're too busy watching the skirt and don't realize what she's about to do you.
                    An old an already refuted argument. Fine, if her skirt serves to distract her opponents, why does she only wear it during sparring and never outside of sparring? Why train in an environment where you have an advantage you do not have in the field? This will only make your performance worse in the field.

Comment

And the question would be: Why is she training in them? And you don't need a vivid imagination to see that those things can get tangled in things or at the very least get in the way of free movement.
                      We have seen Teyla train in those clothes quite a number of times and she has never gotten her skirt tangled. I think the fact that we hasnt seen it happen means it most likely doesnt happen.

Comment

An old an already refuted argument. Fine, if her skirt serves to distract her opponents, why does she only wear it during sparring and never outside of sparring? Why train in an environment where you have an advantage you do not have in the field? This will only make your performance worse in the field.
                        I'm just not even going to answer this,*twitch* because you seem to like taking anything *twitch* and everything anybody says and argue with it. I would appreciate it if you would stop this before we all get in trouble. *twitch*
                        Spoiler:
                        Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                        Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                          We have seen Teyla train in those clothes quite a number of times and she has never gotten her skirt tangled. I think the fact that we hasnt seen it happen means it most likely doesnt happen.
                          The fact that it hasn't happened (from what we've seen) does not mean that it can't happen or that it's not likely to happen. It also does not mean that just because we can't tell, it's not restricting her movement.

And the question would still be: Why. Why place such an arbitrary and unnecessary handicap on yourself? Just because nothing's gone wrong yet does not mean you should constantly subject yourself to the risk.

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                          I'm just not even going to answer this,*twitch* because you seem to like taking anything *twitch* and everything anybody says and argue with it. I would appreciate it if you would stop this before we all get in trouble. *twitch*
                          Spoiler:
                          It's a perfectly valid question.

Comment

And the question would be: Why is she training in them?
                            Why not?

And you don't need a vivid imagination to see that those things can get tangled in things or at the very least get in the way of free movement.
                            You do, because there's no way that's going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                            X