This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
    - What do you think is best? Organic or normal building?
    - explain why?
    - what are the advantages?

- How do you think the wraith build their ships?
    - How come they lost their technology to build more ships?

Personaly i always liked the normal building of ships but organic ships have their advantages too.
    If you could add shield onto a wraith hive ship, that sjip would be pritty powerfull.
    Damadged in battle, run and it will repair itself?
    A combination of organic and normal build would be even more powerfull!
    Personally I like both methods, but dependent on your level of technological development both have their merits.
    If you're a race that can produce nano technology and program it to good effect (putting in certain safe-guards) then I think that purely technological methods would be better, as you could have nanites on board your ships that can auto-repair any damage and be programed to add improvements or changes in the same way the Wraith can with their ships.
    For less advanced races biological methods would I think be better, but saying that you don't have to be a highly advanced race to make nano tech work, just aware of the potential problems the tech could have and capable of producing machines on the nano-scale.

As others here have said the way the Wraith made their ships was kinda explained in The Seed, as for why they can't reproduce more ships, I think it was mentioned in the episode Allies by that Wraith who was 'helping' us to find a way around the Wraiths countermeasures to our/Asgard beaming tech that those individuals who possessed the knowledge of how to repair and improve their ships sided with larger more powerful factions, I think it was also said that they were the Wraith with the knowledge of how to build more ships.
    It must also come down to knowledge of the best materials and power sources for ship construction.

Regarding the whole shield issue, I think that just keeping a Hive/Cruiser together in one piece requires power, as each vessel is a living entity it would constantly require a food source, which must come from the generators on board the ship, so each system like hull regeneration, engines and weapons are probably all fairly power hungry and I'd bet the generators are all ready pretty large to sustain the energy requirements needed, so adding shields may not be permitted within a standard Hive/Cruiser's energy generation limits.
    Perhaps their versions of shield emitters or generators are just not powerful or efficient enough to properly protect their vessels effectively enough and the hull regeneration works pretty well already.
    Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 09 December 2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

As seen in the Seed the wraith grow there ships which does have an advantage in itself as it requires almost no man power apart from the science behind it, once formed intoa ship it has a very dense hull and can regenerate, however with enough firepower the ships do not last long. They a vulnerable to energy weapons and rely on darts to intercept projectiles. Without shields they are vulnerable although with shields given the regenerative abilities they would be extreamly powerful

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post
        well it is sort of explained how the wraith built their ships in "The Seed" and the only explaination I can think of as to why they could'nt build more ships is that they can't meet the power requirements neccessary for them to be grown. They must have used the ancient facilites that got abandoned after the ancients lost a planet to the wraith and put someone infected with the pathogen inside the facility, where it would grow and link into the facility power systems and as it turned into a hive ship, it encorperated the facility into its bodywork. But the only problem with this is that there are only so many powered ancient facilitys and maybe after the ancients found out how wraith hive ships were made, they either removed or destroyed the power sources of the planets they were abandoning so that the wraith could'nt build any more. finally after the ancients abandoned the pegasus glaxy there were no more powered facilities upon which to build hive ships so the wraith were out of luck. end of theory!

overall I prefer man-made ships over organic ones, just because I have this thing against organic technology but I think the hull regeneration thing is very useful considering that if a ship is damaged that is normal i has to really wait till it docks with some station before it can be repaired proporly
        Why would the wraith need ZPMs to build ships they can propably do it with their own generated power maby just a little slower.

I like the organic ships however they are spooky with the mist on the floor and it would be bad when the ship gets a cold

Comment

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
          - What do you think is best? Organic or normal building?
          - explain why?
          - what are the advantages?

- How do you think the wraith build their ships?
          - How come they lost their technology to build more ships?

Personaly i always liked the normal building of ships but organic ships have their advantages too.
          If you could add shield onto a wraith hive ship, that sjip would be pritty powerfull.
          Damadged in battle, run and it will repair itself?
          A combination of organic and normal build would be even more powerfull!
          A combination would be more powerful. But if you could add shields to the Hive ship I'm sure the Wraith would have done it by now.

I would go with the normal build, especially if it has Asgard/Ancient shielding and weapons.

Comment

A half and half would rule anyone remember talon from Farscape he was a living ship with lots of mechanical parts bridge controls repair/ sentry robots (for mechanical systems) a massive puse cannon ect but was also organic and so had the regenerative advantage without being danp and slimy like a hive

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

lol mechanical ships all the way,

why? how about a ship constructed completely of nanites?

theorticaly by altering there bonds they could go from being an impenetrable solid block to completely stop any attack, or become pliable to defuse a shockwave (that would rattle the inside of the ship possible causing damage)

and if something does cause damage the nanites would just repair themselves as in all the "debri" would just move back to its orignal position as if it was never damaged. meanwhile surrounding nanited would have already sealed the holes to prevent decompression

and before someone brings up well an ARG would destroy them too easy, well they would one have to get past the shields first and seeing how the replicators can become immune to it dont see a huge problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tannim111 View Post

Remember: Amateurs study strategy and tactics. Professionals study logistics.

and no amatures study strategy and tactics OR logistics, professionals study all three

wont do you any good to decide to blow up a factory if you dont know they have plenty of defense readily able to stop you

Comment

I agree that a mix would be best. Some components are best done non organically, and some are best organically. Though I would guess an organic ship would have low maintenance, though upgrading it would be hard and it would be harder to heal and would take longer to heal then a non organic ship.

Comment

Half and half all the way Cylon tech nuf said

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

By organic I'm going to assume we're talking about ships that have some sort of living component rather than just straight up made of organic materials. Wooden sailing ships would be organic ships by the latter definition.

In any sort of realistic scenario non organic/not alive easily wins out because organic materials simply aren't anywhere near as strong or resistant to abuse as the best inorganic ones available.

In a more sci-fi setting organic/alive ships can have some advantages if all other things are equal or near equal. Wraith hives actually have a couple of these advantages expressed in their design to.

-They can heal themselves naturally over time lessening the demand for repair work and people capable of doing said work.

-They can be grown with little or no supporting infastructure/grown from other organic ships.

-Can grow faster than a ship of comperable size could be built.

-As a result of 2 and 3 are much cheaper to create in large numbers.

-Can potentially grow/generate some or all of their own supplies and ammunition needed to operate and fight as well as to sustain their crew (hives must make a lot of breathable air for example, though obviously they can't make food suitable to feed their crews. The Lexx could though.).

Comment

That is a good point another downside I see to the organic ships at least at far as the Stargate universe goes is that they don't have any kind of shielding technology. While the deddy has a far more fragile hull it's powerful shields protect it much more than having a really beafy hull.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

I vote for buildings that DONT poop!

XD

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                            I vote for buildings that DONT poop!

XD
                            Thats funny, that actually wasn't touched on by neither Stargate nor Farscape. But think about this, a ship that regrows any damaged part, that can grow specific rooms to specifications, produces its own power, that takes both input and voice command, a ship that can think and offer solutions, a ship that can produce more ships on its own, modify itself based on its crew's needs, a ship whose nerves could be easily modified to accommodate non organic components such as shield generators and possibly even secondary power sources to supplement the ship's self produced power, that would mean that the ship could be modified and integrated with non organic or even be ordered to somehow organically grown weapons, it would grow its own ammunition probably too. A biomechanoid ship, a hybrid as referred to in Farscape or more commonly known as Talyn minus the psychosis of course would totally dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tau'ri Soldier View Post
                              Thats funny, that actually wasn't touched on by neither Stargate nor Farscape. But think about this, a ship that regrows any damaged part, that can grow specific rooms to specifications, produces its own power, that takes both input and voice command, a ship that can think and offer solutions, a ship that can produce more ships on its own, modify itself based on its crew's needs, a ship whose nerves could be easily modified to accommodate non organic components such as shield generators and possibly even secondary power sources to supplement the ship's self produced power, that would mean that the ship could be modified and integrated with non organic or even be ordered to somehow organically grown weapons, it would grow its own ammunition probably too. A biomechanoid ship, a hybrid as referred to in Farscape or more commonly known as Talyn minus the psychosis of course would totally dominate.
                              I'd prefer Moya with a better defence screen.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X