LA Times: Jason Momoa injured in attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    What would 10 years achieve that 5 wouldn't? He's no more likely to learn his lesson, if anything he'll come out more alienated with society and a more hardened criminal then when he went in. Everyone does stupid things when they're drunk, ruining someone's life in the name of 'punishment' doesn't do anybody any good.
    sure it does, if we can't permanently remove them from society what good is a criminal justice system? The simple fact is that had he been serving the time he should have for his previous crimes Jason would still have an intact face.
    Last edited by morrismike; 24 July 2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      The thing I find truly disturbing is that the attacker was already on probation,yet was allowed back out on a bail bond after being charged with glassing Jason.

I thought the whole idea of parole was that the licence can be revoked if the parolee re-offends in any way ?

With this guy out on the streets,what's to stop him going nuts on other people while his case is being examined ?

Never mind.

I hope Jason makes a speedy recovery.My heart goes out to him and his family.
      If this occurred in California it is likely he spends a few months behind bars and will be turned loose again.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        sure it does, if we can't permanently remove them from society what good is a criminal justice system?
        What good is a criminal justice system if permanent removal from society is the best it can come up with? You do realise that the 'tough on crime' approach is a monumental failure, right? The US incarcerates more of it's population than any nation in history, 5% of the world's population is American and 25% of the world's prison population is American, and for a Western developed nation it's crime rates are still awful.

The simple fact is that had he been serving the time he should have for his previous crimes Jason would still have an intact face.
        I agree, but we weren't talking about those sentences (or lack of), we were talking about this one. A 10 year sentence over a 5 year one would do more harm than good. The function of prison should be to rehabilitate prisoners and protect the public, yet instead people come out worse criminals than they go in because lawmakers and politicians feel the need to pander to the 'throw away the key' brigade.

Comment

I like the eye-for-an-eye approach - murders get murdered, rapists get raped, shoplifters have to work at mcdonalds, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X