Why was Michael even on Atlantis?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was Michael even on Atlantis?!

What kind of leader of a major evil organizations goes on strike missions that directly engage an entire city of combatants?!

I mean, sure, Sam did once or twice, but at least she was "expendable" (let's face it, if she'd died from a slipping on a banana peel, at least Earth could've send someone else).

Why was Michael even there? What, "If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself"? I mean, what did Michael do on the city that none of his minions could do (because, really, if you can't get your minions to follow basic instructions, your minions are pretty bad).

He could've just communicated to them through the gate (keeping a wormhole open, preventing Atlantis the convenient overriding of the gate shield.

And no villain with any self-respect would fight the Main Hero atop a tower or whatever. That's just asking to die.

Let's hope he at least had the decency to clone himself.

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    What kind of leader of a major evil organizations goes on strike missions that directly engage an entire city of combatants?!

I mean, sure, Sam did once or twice, but at least she was "expendable" (let's face it, if she'd died from a slipping on a banana peel, at least Earth could've send someone else).

Why was Michael even there? What, "If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself"? I mean, what did Michael do on the city that none of his minions could do (because, really, if you can't get your minions to follow basic instructions, your minions are pretty bad).

He could've just communicated to them through the gate (keeping a wormhole open, preventing Atlantis the convenient overriding of the gate shield.

And no villain with any self-respect would fight the Main Hero atop a tower or whatever. That's just asking to die.

Let's hope he at least had the decency to clone himself.
    I actully thought of that myself but I came to the conclusion that without him it wouldn't have had the same dramatic effect.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
      I actully thought of that myself but I came to the conclusion that without him it wouldn't have had the same dramatic effect.
      But that's the problem with Atlantis. I really liked this episode, I really did, but some of the things just made me, in retrospect, like it less.

The writers often (too often) sacrifice realism, logic or just respect for their character's faculties by having them do horrendously stupid things (especially the villains) for "dramatic effect".

Let's not reduce our villains to "dramatic effect", shall we? Let's have them act like the rational, logical, intelligent and insidious villains they supposedly are.

Comment

Well he didn't really have a choice in fighting Shep at the top of the tower.

For the staying behind thing.... Eh I dunno. He probably wanted to personally convince Teyla.
        sigpic

Comment

I mean, sure, Sam did once or twice
          Maybe it was just one of those times for Michael.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Maybe it was just one of those times for Michael.
            Yes, but unless Michael is the Ba'al of Atlantis and went and cloned himself (or his minions clone him themselves now that they're without a leader), he is not expendable like Sam.

With Michael gone, there will be no one to lead his minions, his plan will never see fruition. He's also an Evil Boss Character. Sam was just some hero type leader who was willing to die for the greater good.

Michael, not so much. He just wants his evil plan to come true and live to see it... and rule the galaxy. To, in that situation, forcibly put oneself in the path of danger? Not so smart.

This is why evil leaders have minions.

Comment

Michael's relationship with Atlantis means that his judgement is clouded whenever he deals with them, especially Teyla & Torren.

If you hated someone as much as Michael hates Atlantis, wouldn't you want to be around to see your master plan for revenge come to fruition, I know I would.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                Michael's relationship with Atlantis means that his judgement is clouded whenever he deals with them, especially Teyla & Torren.

If you hated someone as much as Michael hates Atlantis, wouldn't you want to be around to see your master plan for revenge come to fruition, I know I would.
                This would've been great logic had he planned to actually be there when his master plan for revenge came to fruition. But he couldn't have been as there would've been no escape afterwards. So he'd planned on taking Torren (and maybe Teyla), setting the self-destruct and then leaving before it blew up the city.

So he wouldn't actually have seen anything come to fruition (personally).

Comment

With Michael gone, there will be no one to lead his minions, his plan will never see fruition.
                  Would Michael care if someone carried on with his plan after he died. I was under the impression he was in this for him.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Would Michael care if someone carried on with his plan after he died. I was under the impression he was in this for him.
                    But that's the point! He doesn't want to die. He wants to live and rule the galaxy. He's not doing what he's doing for someone else (like Sam for Earth), he's not doing it for the greater good (like rationalizing villains), he's doing it for himself, plain and simple.

Therefore, it would be more logical for him not to deliberately put himself in harm's way, especially when he has minions to do his bidding for himself.

Comment

I'm sure he went to Atlantis in the fully expecting to survive, obviously. Plus he probably wanted to try and convince Teyla himself.

Comment

This would've been great logic had he planned to actually be there when his master plan for revenge came to fruition. But he couldn't have been as there would've been no escape afterwards. So he'd planned on taking Torren (and maybe Teyla), setting the self-destruct and then leaving before it blew up the city.

So he wouldn't actually have seen anything come to fruition (personally).
                        I don't think it was just about getting revenge by blowing up Atlantis, I think there was a certain element of forcing Teyla to see that everything he had done was because of Atlantis. Also, I think he wanted Teyla to come with him because he still remembers how she was the only one who spoke out against the experiments that Atlantis did on him, and he wanted to give her a chance to live.
                        Plus, walking the halls of Atlantis would've sweetened his victory more than instructing the hybrids over radio.

You're right though, even if all the above is true, he didn't HAVE to go to Atlantis. But as I said in my first post, his judgement is clouded when it comes to Atlantis and that has been the downfall of many a villain.

Besides, from a story telling perspective, the episode wouldn't have had nearly as much impact if Michael wasn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          I'm sure he went to Atlantis in the fully expecting to survive, obviously.
                          That's not the point. Smart evil villains don't forcefully put themselves at risk of dying when they can avoid it, unless they've made it a point to be one of those evil villains that love danger and want to personally take part in every battle.

Plus he probably wanted to try and convince Teyla himself.
                          He likes Teyla, yes. But enough to risk his life just to try to convince him to become his live-in nanny?

"The Nanny - Atlantis Edition"

Comment

That's not the point. Smart evil villains don't forcefully put themselves at risk of dying when they can avoid it, unless they've made it a point to be one of those evil villains that love danger and want to personally take part in every battle.
                            I think he though seeing Teyla and supervising the mission outweighed his perceived lack of danger, and you have to remember that this was probably a last ditch attempt to get himself back on track, he would have wanted to make sure it was done right.

He likes Teyla, yes. But enough to risk his life just to try to convince him to become his live-in nanny?

"The Nanny - Atlantis Edition"
                            And you don't think there was more to it than that?

Comment

And you don't think there was more to it than that?
                              What, trying to pursuade Teyla to come with him? No, I don't think so. Especially when he was fully prepared to drop her and leave her to die should she choose to. I mean, he he really wanted her to come with him, he could've just forced her to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X