Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is an American show. Of course it is going to use American references because that is their primary audiences. Just like Doctor Who uses British references
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      It is an American show. Of course it is going to use American references because that is their primary audiences. Just like Doctor Who uses British references
      My point still stands....

To me Bill Nye is just a guy - with a bowtie. And I liked him better than McKay.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That is because as Americans who watched him as a kid will tell you, Bill Nye is awesome.
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I doubt many non-Americans know who he is.
          Most Americans have never heard of Almost Live!, which is why I gave that as his background. Even his kids show (Bill Nye the Science Guy) has been off the air for years.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            Most Americans have never heard of Almost Live!, which is why I gave that as his background. Even his kids show (Bill Nye the Science Guy) has been off the air for years.

Seaboe
            Thank you for your explanation. Still none the wiser, being from the UK originally and living in Canada for 7 years! Some Canadian references and in jokes in Stargate only made sense after I'd lived here for a couple of years, added another fun dimension to episodes I'd seen loads of times. I'm sure Bill Nye is a fun aspect of this episode for those who watched his show in the same way the Canadian references scattered through the show are for me now.

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis.

1. I guess this confirmed that Keller was into Rodney.

2. WTF was McKay meant to do here. He had very little credibility in this bunch.

3. Having said that, he did complain a bit too much.

Not quite as bad as I remembered but still a pointless ep.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Another average ep.

An ep starring Keller was never going to interest me.

A timespace bridge. That was never going to end well.

Freeze lightning. Scary.

And Mckay joins the mile high club.
                sigpic

Comment

I remember one poster when this episode aired was complaining that Keller was trying change McKay by making him humble. My response is that it sounds like your typical girlfriend.

Anyway its not the presence of Keller that bothers me. Actually I think is the rare gem of this episode. She is not underused but at the same time not overused. That issue comes up with McKay. I remember getting really fed up at this time of all the McKay interaction. If you are a McKay fan its great but for everyone else it is annoying to see him and an episode that is devoted mostly to him it got annoying. We have seen enough of him that another episode is just wasteful especially since its devoted to his ego. And then we get to the plot which is so stupid and filled with random technobabble that the story and solution make no sense . Its hard to follow what is causing the tempature drain and freeze lighning because it makes no sense. As a result the solution is lacking in sense too. As for the McKeller stuff I am neutral in that I do not care one way of the other. I am not a fan but at the same time it does fill me with nausea like some people. Finally as a 90s child it was awesome seeing Bill Nye
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

From Joe Mallozzi's Blog:

Photo of Jennifer and Rodney

BRAIN STORM (516)

This one was surprisingly controversial when it aired (apparently, certain fans weren’t big on Rodney and Jennifer finally hooking up), but a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Originally titled Snow Globe, it was the show’s answer to the network’s request for a green-themed episode. Martin Gero went above and beyond the call on this one, delivering a script that was smart, touching and, above all, fun. And, I mean, how could it not be fun with guest stars like Dave Foley, Billy Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson!

Brain Storm marked Marty G’s directorial debut – and, sadly, his last Atlantis script. But he went out with a bang. Of freeze lightning…

Photos:

Martin hanging out in the Director’s Trailer.

Visiting fans push another SG couple.

Director Marty G. prepares for the deep freeze.

Behind the scenes with Neil de Grasse Tyson, Bill Nye, Martin Gero, and Mika McKinnon.

Some day, when Carl passes, we’ll erect a theatre in his name, but until that day comes -

WTF?!
                    http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpres...013/02/191.jpg
                    sigpic

Comment

He never gets it. It wasn't controversial because they hooked up. It was controversial because it sucked. Sucked so hard it could have created a black hole.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                        He never gets it. It wasn't controversial because they hooked up. It was controversial because it sucked. Sucked so hard it could have created a black hole.
                        That sounds like spiliting hairs
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          That sounds like spiliting hairs
                          I meant that everything in the episode sucked. The plot. The "science". The way the romance was handled. That we had yet ANOTHER Rodney based episode. Another Earth based episode.

Comment

This wasn't bad for an earth-based ep. Mainly I can say that 'cos I'm a Keller fan. And also there was some good funny moments.

McKay should have learned "humble" a long time ago. I hated when he stood up in the middle of the presentation, what did he think he would accomplish? Isn't he supposed to be a genius? Loved seeing him run havoc with the axe though.

Kramer was an a**. He should have handed his money out to the poor or something. Typical rich earth guy

Comment

Didn't like this episode the first nor now that I watched it again. Thought it was one of dullest episode to date. Didn't care for Keller and Mckay romance. I guest I didn't think they earned it compared to say Sheridan and Delenn on B5 or Worf and Dax on DS9.

Comment

Ahhhh, Rodney saving Jennifer. How sweet and heroic.
                                Last edited by Night Maiden; 18 September 2014, 03:33 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X