This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Strange (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Once Marvel have gotten CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR and the eventual AVENGERS team-up on the big screen it will be time for them to look deeper into their universes and find characters who may not be so well known, even with the general comic book audience, to flesh out their tentpoles. This would include characters such as DR. STRANGE, the master of the mystic arts who Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige told MTV News who would expect the character to be a huge contender for a Summer tentpole movie in the upcoming years…

“I’d say in the next year, year and a half, as we start putting together our film slate for 2012 and 2013, I would not be shocked if we saw Dr. Strange on those lists. I love the idea of taping into the magical realm of the Marvel Universe, which is fairly significant and hasn’t yet seen life on screen….It’s something I’m very, very interested in,”

He continues, answering critics who claim DR. STRANGE is a B-class character…

I remember two years ago at Comic Con the cover of the ‘LA Times Calendar Section,’ read ‘Marvel calls out the B team’ and there was a picture of Iron Man. We don’t look at them as ‘B team.’ Dr. Strange? This is one of the best characters we have. [He represents] this amazing cosmic universe to Marvel that we haven’t played with in films yet and I think could be amazing to play with.”

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...el-release.php
    Last edited by Madwelshboy; 22 April 2010, 10:23 AM.

he's already had one ANIMATED movie quite recently. but no live action. However, there has been talk of a Doctor Strange movie since the 80's. he is the
    Spoiler:
    (now former)
    sorcerer supreme of earth. he's usually involved in most things magical in the marvel universe.
    and i always thought strange was a very prominent member of the marvel universe. he's even part of a team/secret society of heroes called the illuminati, with Professor Charles Xavier, Mister Fantastic, Namor, Iron Man, and Black Bolt.
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Comment

That one doesn't shock me as much as talk of movies like Namor and Iron Fist lol
      Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

^ namor i would watch, the sub-mariner would be a great movie

meh i never really liked dr strange much, i wonder how they will do dormammu, he has to be featured in this movie
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

After seeing the Aqauman trailer I'm thinking Namor could actually be pretty good. Iron Fist, not so much. Unless they do it kind of Blade style.
          Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Marvel outline strategy for Iron Fist, Black Panther, Doc. Strange etc!

Marvel Entertainment have outlined a strategy that should help them transfer the lesser known characters from their 5,000 strong comic book universe onto the big screen, increasing their on screen output by at least 100%.

Whilst the big boys play with the Iron Man’s and Captain America’s, Variety say Marvel will pitch around five writing projects a year to a select group of writers (including those plucked from their own comic books, but not those currently working on their films) to make movies out of their heroes like Iron Fist, Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange and Nighthawk.

The pitches won’t just be new movies but also for movies actively in development and with scripts on the way to completion. This will be to help tighten up stories, to give the original writers a fresh new take and just to make the movies as best as they can be.

From the sounds of Variety’s article, the group may mirror that of a t.v. program such as Lost, where writers will be in constant discussion with each other as every new Marvel character developed will of course be part of it’s bigger universe.

This is as significant an aggressive moment as I’ve seen from a studio dealing with superhero characters and Marvel are banking on the genre not burning out anytime soon and it’s the kind of strategy you could imagine worked for them in print in the 60’s. The expanding of the Marvel universe on screen will lead to possibly double figure projects being in the works at any one time.

I’m not sure how many books Marvel produce a year but it’s film canon is increasing dramatically each year. Will we get to a point eventually when Marvel’s main output is their delivery of tentpole films over weekly comic books?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...trange-etc.php

Comment

Never heard of Dr strange.
              But it does not surprise me that they digging deeper into the catalogue, one to find stuff which they own 100% percent of the rights to and to expand and developed these franchises.

But I do wonder if there quality of directors and the quantity of quality directors in hollywood to produce these films.
              There seem like one or two of them that does a good job.

I am pretty certain that in the next couple years, films are going to be Marvel main cash flow source and there main focus. With the other departments all supporting the film department efforts more or lest.
              New characters, I am persuming they do come up with new properties will be developed mainly for comic books department and transfered only if they are a success to the big screen.
              Through I still have doubt whether marvel should rely sole on super heroes films an whether they should try to diversify in to slightly different genres. Not something radical like comedy films/romance films, but scifi adventures and or action base films with out super heroes. I think an experiment by them into something new and different would serve them well.
              Last edited by knowles2; 27 March 2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                Never heard of Dr strange.
                But it does not surprise me that they digging deeper into the catalogue, one to find stuff which they own 100% percent of the rights to and to expand and developed these franchises.

But I do wonder if there quality of directors and the quantity of quality directors in hollywood to produce these films.
                There seem like one or two of them that does a good job.

I am pretty certain that in the next couple years, films are going to be Marvel main cash flow source and there main focus. With the other departments all supporting the film department efforts more or lest.
                New characters, I am persuming they do come up with new properties will be developed mainly for comic books department and transfered only if they are a success to the big screen.
                Through I still have doubt whether marvel should rely sole on super heroes films an whether they should try to diversify in to slightly different genres. Not something radical like comedy films/romance films, but scifi adventures and or action base films with out super heroes. I think an experiment by them into something new and different would serve them well.
                It looks like they mite branch out, apprently the contract that they will have with the writes will include Marvel to get a first look and last refusal to any and all projects the writers have previously written or will write for 2 years in the future

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...S/news/?a=6783

As to who Dr Strange its:-
                Stephan Vincent Strange, Strange grows up to become an accomplished and world-renown neurosurgeon until he suffers a car accident in 1963. Learning of a hermit called the Ancient One who might possibly cure him, the desperate Strange ventures to the man's isolated Himalayan abode and asks him for aid. The Ancient One instead, however, teaches Strange in the mystic arts for seven years. Doctor Strange is his own dimension's Sorcerer Supreme, responsible for defending it from mystic threats. Because of this, Strange is often consulted by other superheroes on supernatural matters

Comment

Kevin Feige Lets Go Some Marvel Movie News

Whats up with Doctor Strange Kevin? To which he replied:

"I think 'Dr. Strange' would kick ass. I think we've done very well at the superhero genre, if you will, this street level superhero aspect of the Marvel Universe. I think with Thor you'll see us cracking into the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe in a very good way that's never been done before in our movies and I'd love to get into that supernatural element. I think that Dr. Strange could be a good way of being the lynchpin to that universe with Werewolf By Night, with Blade again someday – that side of the Marvel Universe."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...S/news/?a=7850

Comment

I never really got into Dr. Strange growing up. I would give a movie based on him a shot though.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Guillermo Del Toro Heading Dr. Strange?

It seems that Guillermo Del Toro the brain behind the Hellboy movies has many comic book movies that he wants to head up. Of course there is Hellboy 3 (I thought the first two were brilliant) and The Hobbit -- and supposedly around 50 other film's he's got dibs on. However we now have word that he has an interest in doing Marvel's master of the mystic arts - Dr. Strange. Not only is he said to be interested, but in Wired Magazine today, he is said to be already working on it. Now, even if he is making some initial efforts on putting it together, it still means we will not see it for a while as he has Two Hobbit films, and Hellboy 3 already on his plate, but I think he would make an amazing Dr. Strange film for one, and think it is great that he could be heading the film.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...s/news/?a=7887

Comment

Stan Lee Promises a Doctor Strange Movie is Coming Soon

Stan Lee dropped by to chat with MTV and has promised that we'll see a Dr. Strange movie sometime in the near future...

"You know there are only so many movies that Marvel can do at one time or one after another, but I will promise you 'Dr. Strange' will be on the list," Lee told MTV News. "They just have to get to it. In fact, every one of the characters - they're not going to let one go. Why should they?"

When aked what version of that character he would like to see he said, "Well, obviously I'd like to see the origin that I had written years ago, the one that I did with Steve Ditko. But Marvel is free to do any version they want. And the nice thing about the movies they do is that they hire the best director, the best screenwriter, they have the best producers."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...4/news/?a=8751

Comment

Marvel to make movies of Dr. Strange, Luke Cage...the Dazzler??

That's the report on CHUD:

Marvel Studios is currently taking meetings with writers and directors to work on small scale movies based on some of their third tier characters. The movies would cost in the range of 20 to 40 million dollars (very small when we're talking studio films) and would allow them to take risks with less obvious characters and with interesting talent.

Filmmakers are being offered their pick of characters whose names are only familiar to comic fans. Properties like Dr. Strange, Ka-Zar, Luke Cage, Dazzler and Power Pack are among the many that are being tossed around right now. And the attitude seems to be that Marvel is open to bringing any of their characters to the screen at the right price point. ...

Who knows what will be the first small film announced; Marvel has been meeting with people for some time now, and I don't think they're going to wait for The Avengers to be released before they start planning the next phase. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller film was being developed alongside The Avengers.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/04/marvel-...-movies-of.php
                          Last edited by Madwelshboy; 22 April 2010, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Well I hope this becomes a reality Dr. Strange is awesome.

Comment

Marvel Planning On Introducing New Characters With Short Films?

Latino Review has an exclusive report on their site which claims that Marvel Studios are planning on bringing even more of their characters into the movie universe they started with Iron Man by using a series of 10 minute short movies to be shown in front of their upcoming feature length films. Whether this will happen as soon as next year with Thor and The First Avenger: Captain America is unclear but below is an excerpt from the site that indicates it's a plan that's already in motion:

"Got a scoop from a well trusted source that Marvel/Disney are looking at doing 10 minute short films in front of their feature length movies that will introduce secondary characters like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, etc."

"I have no other information on this. Such as what movie they plan on starting this with (Avengers maybe?) or what character(s) they plan on introducing first."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=19277

Comment

Working...
                              X