Hacking a Wraith Computer too easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hacking a Wraith Computer too easy

So Rodney managed to hack a wraith computer without any of his hardware, and without making any adjustments to the computer itself. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? First of all, just using a computer written and programmed by an alien species has to be daunting. But to be able to somehow modify that computer just by pressing a few buttons on the screen seems far fetched.

Imagine trying to 'hack' a computer with just a basic screensaver password with no equipment. There isn't some magical button you can press to get past the password. You'd need special software or hardware to do such a thing. Real hackers, no matter how good they are, need some sort of basic way to wedge the proverbial door open a bit so they get get at all the delicious information within. That would be something like network access (from their own computer, where all their tools are), some piece of software they wrote previously, or a piece of hardware they could attach physically that would carry out a preset function to enable access. You can't hack a computer just because you have a keyboard. I could understand if he had his laptop with him, but he didn't this time. Seems very far fetched.

That's why Carson called Rodney a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
      So Rodney managed to hack a wraith computer without any of his hardware, and without making any adjustments to the computer itself.
      What, you missed the episode where they installed a babel fish in McKay and upgraded his brain with integrated nano-computers?

McKay can now access the internet by thought alone, all the way from the Pegasus galaxy!

Remember that scene where McKay was talking to John from the Hive? He wasn't really using the ship's communication relay, he was using his HEAD!!!

They all have super human abilities!!!

Comment

Oh and he knows how to read genii (from trio) but I've never heard one foreign word uttered by him the entire series, in any language.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
          Oh and he knows how to read genii (from trio) but I've never heard one foreign word uttered by him the entire series, in any language.
          You put some French text infront of me and I would probably be able to figure out roughly what it says, but I can't speak a word of French.

Reading a foreign language and speaking it are nowhere near the same.

I think Rodney has probably hacked enough Wraith computers over the years that he knows how to do things like that, even without his equipment. He mentioned in a previous episode that it was similar to DOS ("Thank god I remember DOS" was the quote, I think). So having it be similar to something you already know like the back of your hand, which an uber geek like Rodney would, must really help.

Comment

So Rodney managed to hack a wraith computer without any of his hardware, and without making any adjustments to the computer itself. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? First of all, just using a computer written and programmed by an alien species has to be daunting. But to be able to somehow modify that computer just by pressing a few buttons on the screen seems far fetched.

Imagine trying to 'hack' a computer with just a basic screensaver password with no equipment. There isn't some magical button you can press to get past the password. You'd need special software or hardware to do such a thing. Real hackers, no matter how good they are, need some sort of basic way to wedge the proverbial door open a bit so they get get at all the delicious information within. That would be something like network access (from their own computer, where all their tools are), some piece of software they wrote previously, or a piece of hardware they could attach physically that would carry out a preset function to enable access. You can't hack a computer just because you have a keyboard. I could understand if he had his laptop with him, but he didn't this time. Seems very far fetched.
            It isnt like he has 4+ years of experience doing that exact thing. Owait.

Comment

The Wraith probably use "admin" as a password. And hey, it resembles DOS

Comment

the wraith hacked our cmputers whit no gear in about same time in TLT so why chould rodney not to it

and just look how many times rodney has been stuck in a hive and hacked there computers

Comment

Maybe Rodney was hacking in machine code, he reads binary straight off the consoles.

Comment

He is Rodney Mckay, he can do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1
                      You put some French text infront of me and I would probably be able to figure out roughly what it says, but I can't speak a word of French.

Reading a foreign language and speaking it are nowhere near the same.
                      so I reckon you'd be able to understand chinese, arab or hebrew as well ?

no because somehow I believe that the wraith don't use the same alphabet as we do. probably something to do with the fact that they're [supposed to be] aliens - from another galaxy (that's quite far)

I think Rodney has probably hacked enough Wraith computers over the years that he knows how to do things like that, even without his equipment.
                      and when did he have an opportunity to actually study their tech ?
                      this ain't Atlantis, and as far as we know the wraith never had the courtesy to lend one of their ships to the terrans

He mentioned in a previous episode that it was similar to DOS ("Thank god I remember DOS" was the quote, I think).
                      ok so McKay may not be O'Neil or Sheppard, but he still has a sense of humour (yes yes he does)

Originally posted by ha´tak
                      the wraith hacked our cmputers whit no gear in about same time in TLT so why chould rodney not to it
                      because the wraith are...wraith - you know, like, space-faring alien. supposed to be [a lot] smarter than humans. as evidenced by their technology which is like, many centuries ahead of Earth
                      major lack of symetry here don't you think ?

in terms of suspension of disbelief this ep knocks the others out colder than a wet mackerel, I say :/
                      Last edited by SoulReaver; 24 October 2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_DrRodneyMckay
                        He is Rodney Mckay, he can do anything.
                        probably the most credible explanation so far

add to this that SG is a show about humans, written by humans. maybe not the anthropocentrism found in Star Trek - not yet - but poised to equal and even surpass it, very soon

Comment

Rodney probably does know a bit of wraith, he has had much opportunity to learn it

also there is no reason to assume the consoles were password protected at all; or they might have stumbled across the ship until they found a computer left active due to sloppiness from someone not logging off after using it (which in real life many people don't do properly either even in sensitive areas)...
                          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

doesn't change much

maybe their "desktop" wasn't password protected but full security access still was

basically this would be like being restricted to simple user access & trying to log in with root privilege without knowing the root password. in other words, hacking into an admin account. the difference being - if that ain't hard enough on a terran computer - that it's an alien computer from a [supposedly] far more advanced race

Comment

Well he is the "great mckay" and is a "super genius". to my way of thinking....
                              Spoiler:
                              he is a great idiot and genius at being a jerk!
                              but then that's just me!!!!!
                              I find the amazing talents of mckay to be HUGELY over-rated!

Comment

Working...
                              X