Teyla's "Gift"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla's "Gift"

Why wasn't Teyla able to sense the Wraith before they entered the village? The writers have used that numerous times through the seasons and made a major arc dealing with her Wraith DNA and abilities last season. Suddenly, she no longer has it.

Did I miss an explanation in a previous ep?

To me, the writers ignored canon and went with dramatic effect.

So, make up your own canon. Tell me why Teyla couldn't sense them.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana
    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

I noticed that too...I have no idea what happened to make her lose her wraith detection ability...Strange!

Maybe her bambino took all the abilities from her *shrugs*
    sigpic

Comment

That was the first thing that entered my mind when the Wraith suddenly showed up in the village. And also at the Gate and in the forest when she was with Ronan, she didn't sense them either. And strangely enough not one member of the team even mentioned that fact. Sheppard and Carson above anyone else should have noticed that.
      Member of The Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
      Sigs by Csom, Luci and Pip2

Comment

Hmm... maybe she lost some of it when they turned her back at the end of the Queen, took out too much Wraith DNA or something.

I don't actually beleive that, I totally think they just ignored it to fit the story but hey *shrugs*
        What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I don't have a problem with the additional Wraith at the gate because I always thought once there were multiple Wraith that was all she felt, not like she can tune in and give an accurate accounting of how many Wraith are about. But the fact that she didn't detect them in the begining of the episode ruined the entire episode for me. It was such a huge mistake that it pulled me out of any involvement in the story.

Her gift is so established in this show to just throw it aside for a momentary scream and reveal was just cheap theatrics. For a moment I had to make sure Teyla was with the team.

I know that sometimes the writers play fast and loose with canon to advance the story but this was a huge blunder in my opinion.

Comment

Teyla lost her ability to sense the wraith when the writers stopped writing for her.

Comment

The only possible reason I can think of besides writer screw up is that she couldn't sense the wraith because they didn't intend to feed. Maybe their hunger has something to do with their presence on Teylas radar.

Comment

Well, she actually hasn't used the ability since season 4. So, maybe the Wraith found a way to prevent it, or even Michael took it away from her.
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Also, normally she detects Hive Ships, no? Even when sitting in one Hive Ship, she detects a Queen being agitated, and a second one flying next to the first one...

The excuse for her not to feel the extra troops because she's already feeling some is a good one, especially when they're all close by, but on the other hand, the Hive she should have known. I don't know any more if the guys looked surprised at the mention of a ship being there, or not. She could have told them off screen. No use stating the obvious if they show a Hive ship entering orbit.

And I think they intend for her powers to grow even further. We'll know by The Prodigal, or Infection, I recon.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Teyla tell's in first season, that gift need lot of focus (or concentrate, what is right word). Maybe Teyla just chilling when walk to gate. It is different situation when exploring.
                    Asgard in memoriam

Comment

Although you could say that, before the team went to Athos, she could 'suddenly' sense some cold in her when the Wraith were nearby...

That didn't require concentration, just DNA, as it just happened, and she didn't learn to concentrate on the feeling yet, and didn't know she could come in contact with them herself.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Teyla's wraith "gift" has been strangely absent ever since Spoils of War. I suppose it's especially noticeable this season because JM made so much of Teyla going to have heightened wraith abilities in this season. But instead of having heightened abilities, they seem to have vanished altogether. Even in The Queen, which would have been a perfect opportunity to showcase those abilities if indeed they were going to, we got zilch.

I think if it's going to happen at all it'll happen in The Prodigal, but after The Queen (which is where I thought it was going to happen) I don't have a lot of hope.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

Teyla was occupied and was not concentrating. She has to link to the Wraith network to be able to make contact and to feel their presence. Her modem cable was just unplugged, lol. It is not like Teal'c and Carter when they can sense a Goa'uld nearby, or if someone is a goa'uld. Also, remember she has to be in a certain state like sleeping or in a hypnotic state to really make that connection. The writers did not forget anything.
                          sigpic

Comment

writers just messed up. they never gave any explanation in the show.
                            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
                              writers just messed up. they never gave any explanation in the show.
                              Well Alan McCullough wrote an excellent episode here with all the twists and turns and great character chemistry. I would if I could like to ask him that question and see if he has an answer. I think it was not a big deal and well sometimes you have to use your imagination with a SCI FI show. I am just going to say, there was no time for her to sense the wraith.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X