Were those weapons really Canon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were those weapons really Canon?

The Human Villagers in this Episode were using Earth based weapons in this episode. They were American 19th century Lever Action Rifles. But there is a problem with this. Where did they get the blue prints?

I dont like it when the Producers use Earth Based Weapons as Props (tend to be Old Earth Weapons) for Humans on other Worlds who have had no Contact with Earth and do not know there tech.

Does anyone agree with me on this?

It does take a sense of realism out of it.

This reminds me of a SG-1 episode called "Icon". In this episode SG-1 come to a human world in which there is a war going on. And some of these Human Military on this world were armed with M1-Garands (American WW2 weapon for the uninformed). Now this comes up with the question were did these people get Blue Prints of the Garand? After all we see them use the weapon so it must be Canon. I disagree.

I think that whenever Humans living on other planets (not the Earth ones, even though all humans have ancestry from Earth) have Earth based Weapons, they would either have been given to them by the SGC or stolen from them (which is unlikely).

Its like Sheppard and his team come across a world in which these humans are armed with Civil War era Single shot Rifles or AK-47's. There has to be an explanation for this.

It would work if the SGC allied with a certain Human Faction in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they decided to give the Blue Prints of say the M16-A1 (older version of the M16, Vietnam era), then i would see no problem with Non-Earth humans waltzing around with Older M16's.

However there was no Explanation for the Villagers in Outsiders using Lever Action Earth based, 19th century Rifles.

The Producers should do what George Lucas did with Star Wars. In the Original Trilogy many of the futuristic blasters (props) were actually created based off of Real world Weapons, Im sure the Producers of SGA could have taken a Earth based weapon and change it up a bit to look different.

------------------------------------

Maybe the Villagers in Outsiders built a time machine and somehow got to Earth, went back in time and stole some 19th Century weapons from the Wild Wild West.

OR

They teleported a few people to Earth and decided to buy Some Old Earth Rifles from some Gun Collectors.
    /sarcasm

I just laughed when he got his shotgun or whatever it is.

If the Wraith left people alone and didn't keep them in the dark ages..the PG would have Ronon blasters and phasers.

I still laugh over the fact that EVERYONE speaks English!
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
      The Human Villagers in this Episode were using Earth based weapons in this episode. They were American 19th century Lever Action Rifles. But there is a problem with this. Where did they get the blue prints?

I dont like it when the Producers use Earth Based Weapons as Props (tend to be Old Earth Weapons) for Humans on other Worlds who have had no Contact with Earth and do not know there tech.

It does take a sense of realism out of it.

This reminds me of a SG-1 episode called "Icon". In this episode SG-1 come to a human world in which there is a war going on. And some of these Human Military on this world were armed with M1-Garands (American WW2 weapon for the uninformed). Now this comes up with the question were did these people get Blue Prints of the Garand? After all we see them use the weapon so it must be Canon. I disagree.

I think that whenever Humans living on other planets (not the Earth ones, even though all humans have ancestry from Earth) have Earth based Weapons, they would either have been given to them by the SGC or stolen from them (which is unlikely).

Its like Sheppard and his team come across a world in which these humans are armed with Civil War era Single shot Rifles or AK-47's. There has to be an explanation for this.

It would work if the SGC allied with a certain Human Faction in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they decided to give the Blue Prints of say the M16-A1 (older version of the M16, Vietnam era), then i would see no problem with Non-Earth humans waltzing around with Older M16's.

However there was no Explanation for the Villagers in Outsiders using Lever Action Earth based, 19th century Rifles.

The Producers should do what George Lucas did with Star Wars. In the Original Trilogy many of the futuristic blasters (props) were actually created based off of Real world Weapons, Im sure the Producers of SGA could have taken a Earth based weapon and change it up a bit to look different.

------------------------------------

Maybe the Villagers in Outsiders built a time machine and somehow got to Earth, went back in time and stole some 19th Century weapons from the Wild Wild West.

OR

They teleported a few people to Earth and decided to buy Some Old Earth Rifles from some Gun Collectors.
      /sarcasm
      Icon was the only episode I was really bothered by it since it was clear they were M1s. I haven't seen outsiders yet either so I can't speak for these 19th century rifles. It's better to tray and ignore them. I would prefer if they came up with their own props but that can be quite expensive. Plus they did all the Genii weapons and they seemed quite happy to just use those a lot of the time. I think it would be fine if they used more unusual weapons that people don't recognise so much. But again there's a limit to what they can use.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Firefly....TPTW are really desperate that they have to use other shows as an inspiration
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't really mind the fact of them using familiar guns in and of itself. Sure, some tweaking of the furniture could be nice, but the working principles of lever, pump or semi-auto action is not quite rocket science, it stands to reason that they could be independently re-created in another galaxy.

BUT what I don't buy is an isolated village making its own repeater guns. Flintlocks- maybe, although even that is pretty tricky. They had to get their guns from somewhere, an industrial society with relatively advanced knowledge of metallurgy. Not to mention that the Wraith would hardly be content with the idea of Pegasus folks walking around with locally produced Winchesters.

Which brings me to another question: when the renegade villagers led the Wraiths into the cave- HOW COME THEY WERE STILL CARRYING THOSE GUNS? What kind of cretin of a Wraith commander would tolerate half a dozen armed humans standing around him?
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Considering I don't think any of the villiagers even fired his rifle so there's no need for it to even be operatable this just smacks of laziness.

How hard would it really have been to chop up some replica guns to at least look alien if not high tech? They did it for the Geni afterall.

Comment

Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are. In any case, the guns didn't bother me too much, but then again I don't really know old guns. If they were P90s I would have definitely been irked. And if I knew that gun by reputation, I probably would have been a lot more critical.

Comment

It's only because the budget. It would be too expensive to make a new weapon for every episode.

Yeah and in Icon they used AK-47s too.

Comment

they should just have all PG humans use wraith, genii, satedan and maybee travler wepons those would all make sence

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
                    Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are. In any case, the guns didn't bother me too much, but then again I don't really know old guns. If they were P90s I would have definitely been irked. And if I knew that gun by reputation, I probably would have been a lot more critical.
                    While we know that Wraith can be killed maybe the Commander has so much comtempt for humans that he didn't think the humans weapons where worth worring about.

MCH
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

I also found it funny that they didn't try to fight the Wraith when they had *that* laying around!

Instead they took the guns and turned it on their own people. Lol.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                        I also found it funny that they didn't try to fight the Wraith when they had *that* laying around!

Instead they took the guns and turned it on their own people. Lol.
                        Actually the gun was used in the Episode. Near the ending scene in which Sheppard, and his team are fighting off the Wraith at the Gate, there is a scene of a good Villager shooting his Rifle, and reloading it just like a lever Action, i believed he killed a wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
                          Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are.
                          But not afraid to get shot in the back? Puh-lease.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

The weapons I saw looked like Winchesters and other weapons comparable to mid- to late 1800s. We know the Genii have weapons tech in the era of WWI to WWII. Maybe they sold off their old weapons (like the US does) to some of their trading partners and allies. I know it was never established that the Genii knew these guys, but maybe the weapons were sold and resold across the PG. Otherwise, I agree with the others that a single village shouldn't have the manufacturing capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by HunGripen View Post
                              Yeah and in Icon they used AK-47s too.
                              Um, it's clearly because The Trust sells them to them
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                              X