No announcement yet.

Carson: From healer, to bringer of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carson, or Keller for that matter, may not have taken the Hippocratic Oath in it's original form. Most US docs take a more modern version, I'm not sure what they do in Scotland?
    See this website
    Here is a modern version:
    Hippocratic Oath—Modern Version

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.

Interesting that it specifically points out the physicians's duty to human beings, wonder if they knew about Wraith???

sigpic

Comment

That is interesting, Lythisrose. I wonder what doctors and other professionals who service humans and have oaths or doctrines would do if faced with another sentient being? Would it matter if they were trying to kill us? Would it matter whether they lived on Earth or not?

Actually, I might mentally (or visually) go back and see if any SG-1's have dealt with this subject. I can't recall any right offhand, but my brain is just getting started today.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Also, would the tennants of the oath apply in the pegasus galaxy> I mean if that applies, so should doc patient confidentiality which would have come in with the research done on the sear.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Also, would the tennants of the oath apply in the pegasus galaxy> I mean if that applies, so should doc patient confidentiality which would have come in with the research done on the sear.
          Also, I hate to say it since I'm not a big McKeller fan, but it doesn't mention anything about not having relationships with your patients...
          Last edited by Lythisrose; 24 October 2008, 09:32 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
            So Keller shooting the Genii punk in Missing was OK, since she doesn't use guns for surgery? That seems a bit... semantic to me, but sure, I'll roll with it. Self-defense or standing in the defense of others would seem to me to be a higher moral obligation than the H. oath.
            The Hippocratic oath states that's it's wrong to, say, deliberately harm someone using surgical skills. For one thing, if a rapist is sent to the hospital, the Hippocratic oath states that you have no right to deliberately botch the operation or refuse to treat him (the 2nd part I'm not so sure about).

If it's in self-defense, then you bet ya' it's OK to kill someone using scalpels and whatnot. And Carson wasn't randomly killing Wraith for fun. He was acting in self-defense and in the defense of others (Rodney, the Belarans and the villagers).

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
            Also, I hate to say it since I'm not a big McKeller fan, but it doesn't mention anything about not having relationships with your patients...
            No, but modern societal laws have problems with romantic relationships between doctors and their patients.

Comment

Working...
            X