Judge Shepard hands down his ruling: Guilty, Death by Execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge Shepard hands down his ruling: Guilty, Death by Execution

For crying out loud, I think Shepard went too far in this episode. Those guys surrendered peacefully to him, and he just used them to trap the wraith after being told by the leader of the village that they should bring the wraith to the cave to capture the others.

Talk about morally ambiguous, and almost downright criminal of him. Sure, the other guys weren't saints, but he knew that sending them to that cave was pretty much a death sentence.

In his defense, something had to be done to draw those Wraith away from the Gate.

Do I agree with the method? No.

Could they have lured them to the mines in some other fashion? I don't know. It's easy to think on it now and judge him for that decision. Maybe the only way to lure them was by using people.

But then, and I know there will be some to say this, shouldn't it have been Sheppard or someone on his team disguised as a villager? What right did they have to condemn others to death? To be judge, jury, and executioner?

The only defense against that would be that we need our main cast to have a show.

That said, why couldn't it have been the chief councilor?

I realize that sacrifice may have been necessary. But I do not agree with making the choice of sacrifice for someone else.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
      For crying out loud, I think Shepard went too far in this episode. Those guys surrendered peacefully to him, and he just used them to trap the wraith after being told by the leader of the village that they should bring the wraith to the cave to capture the others.

Talk about morally ambiguous, and almost downright criminal of him. Sure, the other guys weren't saints, but he knew that sending them to that cave was pretty much a death sentence.
      Ah, this is war, you know. You really think the wraith would pass on a free meal considering how many wraith are hungry??

Comment

Yeah I was kinda surprised at the method he used. usually they try not to go that kind of route. But then they are in a life or death situation, and a decision had to be made, they didn't have time to debate the morality of their decision.

Comment

Back to "Rising" ( first SA episode) John shot and killed Sumner as First Wraith Queen feed on him. which lead judges to believe that John committed a murder of Sumner. but that's not true, John knew that Sumner wanted him to kill him rather than get drained to death by the queen.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthgate Ricky View Post
            Back to "Rising" ( first SA episode) John shot and killed Sumner as First Wraith Queen feed on him. which lead judges to believe that John committed a murder of Sumner. but that's not true, John knew that Sumner wanted him to kill him rather than get drained to death by the queen.
            How does that relate to this? That was a mercy kill. Sumner wanted to die.

Those men didn't want to die. They also had no idea they were going to their deaths - that they were going to be sacrificed to save the others.

I realize it may have been necessary from a utilitarian standpoint, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Makes me glad that the next episode is Inquisition.
            sigpic

Comment

The main thing that irks me is that the village leader specifically told them to bring the wraith to the cave. In other words, they are now following the orders of their village leader. And while the leader played a part in this, it was without a doubt Sheppard who planned it out. They were deliberately misled and USED and were murdered by John Sheppard. They were criminals who never had a trial. Criminals who surrendered without resistance. And Sheppard murdered them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting worked up over this or anything, its just a television show. I just hope people see the moral implications of this. I wonder how many people will try to justify Sheppards criminal actions.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting worked up over this or anything, its just a television show. I just hope people see the moral implications of this. I wonder how many people will try to justify Sheppards criminal actions.
                Sigh...

I'm not justifying his actions, so don't get me wrong on that front, but there are more shades to this than just black and white.

If Sheppard hadn't done something, then chances are everyone would have died.
                sigpic

Comment

Not to justify, but they would probably have died anyway had they not done something.

Comment

The main thing that irks me is that the village leader specifically told them to bring the wraith to the cave. In other words, they are now following the orders of their village leader. And while the leader played a part in this, it was without a doubt Sheppard who planned it out. They were deliberately misled and USED and were murdered by John Sheppard. They were criminals who never had a trial. Criminals who surrendered without resistance. And Sheppard murdered them.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the village leader knew precisely what he was getting into and that there could be a death involved. Unfortunately the villager (Jervis?) fell for the bait. If he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have died. I think Jervis (and were there others?) are called, well, 'collateral damage.'

Comment

As I've said MANY times before, the humans are no better than Wraith - only, Wraith must 'feed in order to live'. Big difference between killing someone because you can, and killing because you have to.

Sheppard is also responsible for the blood on the hands of the village's leader, poor guy...you could see it in his eyes...his guilt will get the better of him.

I found this to be a very morally questionable episode, on many levels.

das
                      Last edited by dasNdanger; 17 October 2008, 07:23 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                        As I've said MANY times before, the humans are no better than Wraith - only, Wraith must 'feed in order to live'. Big difference between killing someone because you can, and killing because you have to.

Sheppard is also responsible for the blood in the hands of the village's leader, poor guy...you could see it in his eyes...his guilt will get the better of him.

I found this to be a very morally questionable episode, on many levels.

das

Okay. Okay. Okay
                        We better wait until next Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthgate Ricky View Post
                          Okay. Okay. Okay
                          We better wait until next Friday.
                          Oh, you KNOW he's going to be forgiven for everything next week! Held accountable? A HUMAN?? NEVAH!!

What should happen next week will not happen, I am sure of it. I think it will be a very disappointing ep.

das
                          sigpic

Comment

What is starting to really disturb me is how many people think it was cool how Sheppard murdered those villagers in the explosion - villagers who were only doing what they thought was right to protect their families. I am really disturbed by this. We're those rogue villagers right? I cannot say - I believe they acted out of fear, not out of hatred. I just cannot believe that Sheppard just murdered them....

das
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually, I think next week's episode should be very interesting. We will get to see just how the people of Pegasus feel about our Atlantis team.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X