• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Matter of Honor

Visit the Books SectionDISCUSS ...
    A MATTER OF HONOR
    AUTHOR - Sally Malcolm

Five years after Major Henry Boyd and his team were trapped on the edge of a black hole, Colonel Jack O'Neill discovers a device that could bring them home. (Part 1 of 2)

Visit the Books Section >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2004, 07:46 PM.

I've read up to chapter 6 as I just couldn't wait until the weekend when I have the time to read it. So far it is brilliant and I am really looking forward to my lie in tomorrow! Plenty of team, plenty of Daniel and Jack and even Danny (and Teal'c) whumping, so far. It's a clever idea too. Sort of pleased it is a two parter, means I will have to wait (I have little doubt I will finish this over the weekend) but means it is a longer more rounded story. Love the characterisation, something that has been really good in all three novels so far and is probably due to very careful overview by someone. It's set season 7 as Sam is major and Daniel is alive. So far I'd give it 5 out of 5.
    jan t
    jan t

Comment

Like, Jan, I'm halfway through this one and was so reluctant to put it down at 3am! (It just arrived this morning from Amazon <g>). I can't wait to finish it tomorrow! I, too, am getting more and more glad as I read through this one that it's in two parts. There certainly seems to be enough story to accomodate it.

So far I'm really loving this one. The plot is engaging and intriguing and there are plenty of team moments. As a shipper, I'm also greatly enjoying the little snippets of mild ship here and there sprinkled through the story.

And also the fact that there's much more introspection in this novel than is usual for books of this type. Usually publishers avoid introspection like the plague. That's a real bonus and an aspect that I hope to see in other novels in the series if Fandemonium are open to it, as it seems they are. It's not overwhelming, just a light touch of the character's thoughts which really makes the novel for me.

So far, most everyone has had an equal share of the action and I love the characterisations, too.

Most of all, as I read, so far, I feel as though I'm reading a really, really great fanfic. And that's the best compliment I can give any Stargate novel.

If the first three books are the sign of things to come, we're in for a treat in the future as each new book in the series just improves on the last.

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Finished it. When's the next one???????
        Absolutely loved this one, loved the first two as well but this shone through with lots of team, h/c, angst and huge amounts of friendship especially between Daniel and Jack. I didn't see any more ship than deep concern for Carter from Jack which is the way they play it on tv. Liked the way there were little mentions to the other novels. I was really in this being able to picture some of the scenario from having seen it on tv helped. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with this whichever character they favoured. Even Janet and (quite a lot of) Hammond are in it. It's cleverly left on a cliff hanger but the story is rounded off as well.
        5+ out of 5.
        jan t
        jan t

Comment

Since I imagine I'm going to give a very decent review on this book (love what I've read so far), I thought I'd gripe a moment about the first spelling error I've found in a Fandemonium story. Wanna see?

Voice of Professor Severus Snape: "Open your books to page 48."
          second-to-last paragraph. Teal'c's line: "We had better hope that is does not."

My official review probably won't mention this. Just thought I'd spill it here

Comment

Isn't that a mistake rather than a spelling mistake I would doubt the author didn't know how to spell 'it'
            jan t
            jan t

Comment

Well it's a mistake either way

Comment

Indeed & I think you may find others I'm sure there were in all three books I tend to do a double check then forget them.
                jan t
                jan t

Comment

Originally posted by David
                  Since I imagine I'm going to give a very decent review on this book (love what I've read so far),
                  So gang, is it worth paying almost 12 POUNDS for? Every time I go in to order it, my head starts hurting.

Dana Jeanne
                  Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I forked over the 12 pounds. Then I calculated out a pound ...

Comment

yeah, that exchange rate is a killer
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The book is riddled with grammatical and punctuation errors and typos. But then, increasingly, so are most published novels these days. I notice them, wince over a lot of them, but don't let it get in the way of a good read.

I've heard that the rise in such errors - and they have gotten much worse in just the last five or so years - is due to an increasing reliance by publishers on computerised editing programs, rather than the good old (and seemingly more reliable!) human eye they used to use.

Albion
                        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                          The book is riddled with grammatical and punctuation errors and typos. But then, increasingly, so are most published novels these days. I notice them, wince over a lot of them, but don't let it get in the way of a good read.

I've heard that the rise in such errors - and they have gotten much worse in just the last five or so years - is due to an increasing reliance by publishers on computerised editing programs, rather than the good old (and seemingly more reliable!) human eye they used to use.

Albion
                          I didn't notice any, did enjoy the book though it's great. The characterisation was spot on

erika

Comment

Dana as I see you bought Trial by Fire all I can say is this is by far superior a read. If you like whumping and h/c and angst this has it all but it is full of team, very orientated on the Daniel/Jack friendship. Also there is to be a follow up novel. You can always sell it on E-Bay afterwards to regain some of your money.
                            jan t
                            jan t

Comment

Originally posted by jantreeuk1
                              Dana as I see you bought Trial by Fire all I can say is this is by far superior a read. If you like whumping and h/c and angst this has it all but it is full of team, very orientated on the Daniel/Jack friendship. Also there is to be a follow up novel. You can always sell it on E-Bay afterwards to regain some of your money.
                              jan t
                              I bought Sacrifice Moon, too then I started adding it all up. Oh, what the heck! It's only money, right?

Dana Jeanne
                              Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Working...
                              X