Helen Magnus/John Druitt Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    At this point, I don't care who said what. If it's not directly confirmed onscreen, there's a possibility for resurrection. And even if there is direct confirmation onscreen, this is the kind of show where it doesn't matter.

There's flashbacks, there's alternate realities, there's feats of science and the natural world that boggles the mind.

So no, I don't think Druitt is dead, and yes, I think they could bring him back, if Chris Heyerdahl was amenable and available.

And it might not be their style, given what happened to Ashley and Watson and all, but I like to think that in the four years since we were introduced to the Sanctuary verse, Helen has lost too many people for us to write Druitt off so easily. Especially since in my mind they are the OTP of the verse.
    *waves to everyone in the thread* First time posting here!

I would love it if Druitt came back. But I think it would be a while before we saw him in the current timeline so everything Selene has mentioned is fair game.

I just finished watching "into the black" - the one where he supposedly Dies. Magnus does say "when this is over, I don't ever want to see you again" to him as they are walking. In fact, earlier on she says "we never worked" and broke my poor shipy heart.

Probably why I came here in the first place. What do you all make of that spiel?

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post

I would love it if Druitt came back. But I think it would be a while before we saw him in the current timeline so everything Selene has mentioned is fair game.

I just finished watching "into the black" - the one where he supposedly Dies. Magnus does say "when this is over, I don't ever want to see you again" to him as they are walking. In fact, earlier on she says "we never worked" and broke my poor shipy heart.

Probably why I came here in the first place. What do you all make of that spiel?
      Great question! For me, this is too close on the heels of "Out of the Blue" for it to be taken at face value. I mean, she just got out of a mind!verse where she'd seen first hand how-- even if their lives were normal and they didn't have the Source Blood and all-- they wouldn't have been happy. They were miserable in the mind!verse, and that coupled with Druitt's disregard for the life she'd built for herself in this timeline scared her. Angered her, even, and for good reason.

But I also think that John was desperate-- both to have her back and to be rid of his parasitical passenger. Once he saw how much it upset her, I think he would have realized that he loved her more than he loved the idea of them, and how Adam is a lying sonuvagun and should have been killed outright. He would have done the right thing, as he did when Helen needed to follow Adam back in time.

So, yes, as far as Helen could see they would have never been able to be happy together long-term, and his continued presence was only doing them both harm. But I think her decision to tell him "I don't want to see you again" was a knee jerk reaction after Out of the Blue, and had the whole time travel thing never happened, I think she would have changed her mind.

But speaking of time travel, when Magnus trounced him in the alleyway in "Tempus" and told him to stay away from her, I do think she meant that. But remember, this Tempus-John was a very real threat (as evidenced by both his approach of her in the alleyway, and the scene she witnessed in the study). He was unstable and the Whitechapel murders were still relatively fresh.

Even so, you know that he must have returned at some point, as otherwise the past events we saw in Season 1 and 2 would not have happened as they had and the present Helen returned to would have been very different. But it wasn't, which means that Druitt still saved her from Tesla in Rome, still helped out in End of Nights, and so on and so forth.

So the ship is not officially ended in my books. Not by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post

I think she's mad. She tends to scream at her boys when she's mad and tells them they're awful in a variety of ways. Remember how she told Nikola that she'd never liked him at school and everyone always hated him? It's so clear later that he's one of her best friends. And she's pretty rough on James in End of Nights, cutting him dead when he says he'd like to see more of her, but in Tempus she's obviously missed him very much and cares for him.

I think that's just Helen. She goes off. She's big with "I hate you and you suck" but I don't think it's her final answer.
        sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
          I think she's mad. She tends to scream at her boys when she's mad and tells them they're awful in a variety of ways. Remember how she told Nikola that she'd never liked him at school and everyone always hated him? It's so clear later that he's one of her best friends. And she's pretty rough on James in End of Nights, cutting him dead when he says he'd like to see more of her, but in Tempus she's obviously missed him very much and cares for him.

I think that's just Helen. She goes off. She's big with "I hate you and you suck" but I don't think it's her final answer.
          This is true, to some extent. But I don't think Nikola is a valid example. In that instance, I think she was trying to jolt him out of his head space. They hint at their friendship early in the episode, but when Nikola reveals his nefarious plans, she realizes she needs to distract him, and trying to nick his pride was probably the best way to go.

And she was indeed short with Watson, but to me it was less angry than defensive. She'd tried to put up barriers, and knew James' predilection for slicing right through them with that precision intellect of his. Her biting reaction was probably the only fall back she had, and knowing James, he probably realized that after having known her so long.

But the thing with James definitely feeds into her interaction with John in "Into the Black". Isolation is the only defense she feels she has, and distance is the only that could heal the kind of pain and uncertainty she felt after "Out of the Blue". It may be part of the alienation she feels after having lived so long, the events she's witnessed over the years. It may be part of the way she was raised. But either way, she does usually soften up.

Comment

Someone should really, really ask Amanda about this final scene between Helen and John... I am going crazy here about it....

And ok, she was mad, but why didn't she even mention him in season 4? You know... at least a word... He was one of the main characters and in season 4 he just doesn't exist. I know Chris did not have time to be Druit but at least the writers could have mentioned him somewhere in the script....

Comment

Originally posted by For_All_Eternity View Post
              Someone should really, really ask Amanda about this final scene between Helen and John... I am going crazy here about it....

And ok, she was mad, but why didn't she even mention him in season 4? You know... at least a word... He was one of the main characters and in season 4 he just doesn't exist. I know Chris did not have time to be Druit but at least the writers could have mentioned him somewhere in the script....
              By not saying a word about it, I think they left themselves free to continue however they needed to in future. They're not painting themselves into any kind of corner either way.

Personally, I think mentioning him at all would either be heartbreaking ("Why, yes, Will, John is very much dead.") or just a cruel teasing ("Where do you think Druitt ended up?" "I don't know, Will. He might very well be just around the corner...").

If they could have Druitt, I'm glad they handled it they way they did. Leaves things open for the future...

Comment

I love your optimistic thinking, selene

Comment

Yeah I agree they were trying to leave it open. I think they hoped that Chris would be back and didn't want to say something that would preclude it.
                  sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

wow..... this thread isn't dead.... I'm kinda shocked... and mildly relieved that people still care about Helen and john.....

(don't mind me I am still angry at the writers for how they FRAKKED OVER MAGNETT)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                      wow..... this thread isn't dead.... I'm kinda shocked... and mildly relieved that people still care about Helen and john.....

(don't mind me I am still angry at the writers for how they FRAKKED OVER MAGNETT)
                      I am also a little mad... but selene is right that by not mentioning John the writers give themselves a door to let him back in... it is better than nothing I suppose.

Comment

I understand why John was there... cause Chris was playing the Swede (He is awesome btw as the Swede) But..... it just made me lose interest in the show and Helen was acting so strange.... It just... wasn't Sanctuary to me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                          I understand why John was there... cause Chris was playing the Swede (He is awesome btw as the Swede) But..... it just made me lose interest in the show and Helen was acting so strange.... It just... wasn't Sanctuary to me.
                          I really did not like the way Helen was acting. She was mean, which she'd never been before. Strong, yes. Occasionally *****y, yes. But not mean. I'm sorry, being a strong woman does not mean bullying your employees! It doesn't mean being nasty. Strong and nasty are not the same thing.
                          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

I really did not like the way Helen was acting. She was mean, which she'd never been before. Strong, yes. Occasionally *****y, yes. But not mean. I'm sorry, being a strong woman does not mean bullying your employees! It doesn't mean being nasty. Strong and nasty are not the same thing.
                            I think the only time I liked Helen was when she was in MONSOON with Charlotte Benoit. That was the only time I liked her int he fourth season.... Other than that she was a down right Beyotch.... Though given being forced to sit by and watch the world slip by... AGAIN..... and not able to make changes... sure... it'd make anyone just a little snippish. But Helen, I thought, was better than that.

If we get a S5 I am so AFRAID for the interaction between Helen and John...
                            sigpic

Comment

Mean? I disagree. I never got a "mean" vibe off of her. A little bit short, but not unrealistically so. And I mean, she had a lot of opportunities to really rip into Will during Will, but she never did. She was absolutely secretive, and sneaky, and not exactly like she was, but... no, not mean. Though I do question why she did some of the things she did (even knowing what her secret was), I understand that she is fallible, and she was gambling a lot on decisions she was uncertain of.

And for me that shift in her character makes the idea of a reunion between her and John even juicier! Mwahahah.... *evil grin*

Comment

A little shippy art...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X