Edison and Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edison and Tesla

Just rewatched First Contact and noticed a line McKay had just after he and Daniel entered the secret lab. He said something along the lines of "Tesla was close to something like this (the walk-through wall) before Edison trashed his lab."
    Does anyone know what this is referring to? I'm guessing Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla, but I have never heard anything about Edison trashing Tesla's lab before.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
    Just rewatched First Contact and noticed a line McKay had just after he and Daniel entered the secret lab. He said something along the lines of "Tesla was close to something like this (the walk-through wall) before Edison trashed his lab."
    Does anyone know what this is referring to? I'm guessing Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla, but I have never heard anything about Edison trashing Tesla's lab before.
    Tesla was a big advocate of using an Alternating Current transmission/distribution system because AC has the ability to be transformed in voltage level (ie by a transformer) so it can be easily stepped up to a very high voltage for long distance transmission from a central generation site then stepped down to a low voltage for local distribution. Edison's company was heavily into Direct Current distribution, so much so that if an AC system was adopted his company would be out of business. So he went out and started bad-mouthing an AC network, and by extension Tesla himself, even to the point of electrocuting animals to show how dangerous AC electricity was. They didn't really end up liking each other very much. I have no idea whether Edison "trashed" Tesla's lab, but there was certainly animosity between them.

Comment

Yes,

Edison back when he was in the middle of the "Power Race" was more of a thug then a scientist, he had his little mob that would prevent others from working with electricity, and steal others ideas. I can't seem to find a website about it, but it is taught in High School, and bits and pieces of College American History (if you take that class, not many do).

Its in more then 1 book, and there are basically 2 versions to it, one is about Edison creaming Tesla in his own lab and leaving him in a bloody mess. Another story states that Edison would wreck Tesla's lab when he wasn't around and steal his work.

Either way, Edison wasn't a really nice guy, good at parties, but a dick in general lol.

Comment

Theres bits about it in the Prestige, film.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Yeah, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Tesla and Edison weren't really friends. Tesla had a lot of electronics inventions that were never released, and I think there's actually a movie about it somewhere...a documentary. The man really was a genius.
          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
          Check out my Flickr

Comment

There's this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tesla#

not sure how accurate it is though, I hear mention of a 'secret government'. A guy who guest starred in SG-1 narrates it funnily enough...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              There's this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tesla#

not sure how accurate it is though, I hear mention of a 'secret government'. A guy who guest starred in SG-1 narrates it funnily enough...
              I didn't click the link, though I think it's the same video based on the fact that it's on Google video and the guy from SG-1 is on there...didn't remember the secret government bit, though, that hurts its credibility in my book...
              Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
              Check out my Flickr

Comment

Nikola was very tidy well Edison was a pig.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X