Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Claudia Black/Vala being short-changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Claudia Black/Vala being short-changed?

Hi there! I just wanted to know if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed something- in some, if not most promotional materials for SG-1, whenever there is a group photo of just SG-1, Vala is not in the picture. I have The Ark of Truth CD and on the front cover she's there with Mitchell, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c, but if you look inside under the disc, she's not there in the group photo, nor on the back cover. Even here on Gateworld's picture gallery, if you look under the promotional pictures for The Ark of Truth, she's not in the group photos.

Was it because she was unavailable the day of the photo shoot? Or because the producers do not consider her to be a "part of the team"?

Any thoughts?
    sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Yeah i noticed that, no idea why she ain't there but you really don't need your face slammed all over a DVD do you?
    Tst

Comment

i know, she's not even on the complete season 10 box set either. what's the point of making her a regular cast member if she's not in any of the group pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Goauld System Lord View Post
        Hi there! I just wanted to know if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed something- in some, if not most promotional materials for SG-1, whenever there is a group photo of just SG-1, Vala is not in the picture. I have The Ark of Truth CD and on the front cover she's there with Mitchell, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c, but if you look inside under the disc, she's not there in the group photo, nor on the back cover. Even here on Gateworld's picture gallery, if you look under the promotional pictures for The Ark of Truth, she's not in the group photos.

Was it because she was unavailable the day of the photo shoot? Or because the producers do not consider her to be a "part of the team"?

Any thoughts?
        My thoughts? fantastic, she should never have been more thn a recurring cast member. Nothing against CB, she was playing the character the writers wrote for her, but I am definetly not a Vala fan
        Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Goauld System Lord View Post

Any thoughts?
          It's my understanding that she was not available for the photo shoots because she was horribly ill with morning sickness...don't know if you realize it or not but she became pregnant with her second child just before AoT started filming...and apparently had a horrible time thru the filming of it and of Continuum.
          LC
          (however I don't disagree that she's being short-changed)
          sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
          http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

is she even an official member of sg1 now? or is she just like a person who they let tag along because Daniel is the only person with a slight chance of keeping her in check?

Comment

Nope - she's official. See the end of Memento Mori.

Comment

^ Yep. She got the badge in Momento Mori and the "Now you really are one of us" talk in The Quest Part 2.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis82 View Post
                  i know, she's not even on the complete season 10 box set either. what's the point of making her a regular cast member if she's not in any of the group pics?
                  It's only from ninth episode to the end. It would spoil at least me if I hadn't seen the season before buying the DVD box set.

Comment

She was only a full time cast member for one season, #10. She played a pivitol role in AoT and she was the
                    Spoiler:
                    suprise twist villian in continuum
                    i think shes come away ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
                      It's only from ninth episode to the end. It would spoil at least me if I hadn't seen the season before buying the DVD box set.
                      How would it spoil you to know that she was in the season? They could have at least had her face on the box, even if they didn't want to show her in SG-1 garb (although she did wear it before being officially on the team).

But as to the question, I do know that there were a couple writers who weren't fond of the character, but more than likely it was her health issues that kept her from being in all the promotional shoots—all the way through Season 10 she was dealing with an ill baby and husband (and health issues of her own), and her morning sickness was an issue for AOT and Continuum.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

I think she was short changed throughout the show. I don't think they wrote the character very well and just player her off as the comedic offset.

I believe the reason she wasn't in any of the promo material was because of her pregnancy.

Comment

the ONLY reason claudia wasn't in the promo shoots and the like is because she was pregnant and, i'm guessing, she didn't want to.

If you'll notice the qetesh costume, it was deliberately made to disguise the baby bump. by the time they got done with filming and were in the promotional stage, she was very pregnant, too pregnant to hide.

Right now she's enjoying being a mom and i'm not sure but she might even be in CA with the hubby (or wherever their home is)

there was no deliberate slight, simply the producers, et al, being sensitive to an actress' personal needs
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

so nothing was done to diss her or minimize her or otherwise pick on her, it was simply done out of concern for her well being and accomodating her doctor's orders

Kinda like how AT1 was rescheduled twice. once for scheduling issues, the second because AT was pregnant and it wasn't safe for her to make long flights, much less the stress of a convention.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't see any reason why she isn't in the promotional stuff or the dvd covers etc. Surely they could have photo shopped her in. They must have a ton of pictures that would have done the job. She should have been on the season ten dvd cover and there really isn't any good reason why she's not.

I think tptb were stunned at how popular she proved to be, the start of season nine in particular was I am sure a surprise to them. Vala breezed right in and stole the show imo. She was exactly what the show needed, a breath of fresh air to blow away the cobwebs. That must have ruffled some feathers.

Imo she was short-changed, Vala and Claudia.
                              sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                              X