This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could they do extended episodes on DVD?

Since "Children of the Gods" has been recut and will be re-released sometime in the near future, I was wondering...

I have read several items about stuff that had to be cut from a number of episodes during the run of the series. Without having to worry about time constraints, I was wondering if TPTB would consider recutting a number of those episodes, adding back cut scenes, doing needed special effects and rescoring them?

I had read a story that Michael Shanks was not happy with how "Bad Guys" came out and there was 20 minutes of footage that helped explain some of the different things going on throughout the episode, that if some of it was added back in, might make a more coherent episode.

I have read similar stories from the cast and production team about things having to be cut here and there for no other reason than time constraints on the episoode.

Since the DVDs of SG-1 have been so popular with fans and others, I was wondering if anyone considered doing special "Director's Cuts" of a number of episodes?

TPTB can take three or four of these episodes, rework them and release them on DVD. If they are popular, do more. If not, then it was a nice experiment for the fans and pushing the medium in new directions. Ideally, I would love to see them do it season by season, but I don't know if that is possible or not.

Special releases would allow these episodes to take a different shape while maintaining the integerty of the orginials in the season box sets. The fans could then decide which ones they liked more. Also, TBTB don't have to do new cuts of every single episode.

I am just curious what people think?
    Last edited by JThunder101; 29 September 2008, 12:51 PM.

Originally posted by JThunder101 View Post
    I have read several items about stuff that had to be cut from a number of episodes during the run of the series. Without having to worry about time constraints, I was wondering if TPTB would consider recutting a number of those episodes, adding back cut scenes, doing needed special effects and rescoring them?
    Greats minds think alike. I've always wished for them to re-add cut scenes in the DVD version (for SGA as I'm a SGA fan, but well), but your idea of releasing a special "long versions" DVD sounds good too.
    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
    sigpic

Comment

as bsg fans know it's a wonderful joy to get extended eps on dvd's

sometimes you don't realize that some of the best scenes are the first to go sadly
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

That would be great. Ideally, release every DVD set with 2 versions of each episode. An as-aired version, and a re-cut version. Could be on list next to "watch with commentary" and "watch without".

Comment

The extended DVD versions of Battlestar Episodes were great. I would really like to see a couple of extended Stargate Episodes. If not on DVD, then when Blu-ray is released.
          sigpic

Comment

That sounds great! How about a blooper reel to go with it?
            sigpic

Comment

I really WISH they would do something like this.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                The extended DVD versions of Battlestar Episodes were great. I would really like to see a couple of extended Stargate Episodes. If not on DVD, then when Blu-ray is released.
                That would be great, I might even consider buying them if they had more then the original ep.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                  There's a few episodes that they should do this to:
                  Lost City
                  Unending
                  Window's Of Opportunity
                  Reckoning Pt. 1 & 2
                  Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Commander View Post
                    There's a few episodes that they should do this to:
                    Lost City
                    I would love it if they almost completely redid Lost City as a kind of movie, with more scenes, special effects (such as actually seeing the ships get destroyed), and that kind of stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

it would be nice but, likely, would be too expensive to do. they'd basically have to be edited twice, which would be more expensive and cut into the profit margin

the only way i could see them doing this is 3-4 years down the road to re-release the eps, with new and extended never before seen footage...to get you to rebuy what you already own.

works for lucas

how many times has he re-sold the star wars movies?
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        it would be nice but, likely, would be too expensive to do. they'd basically have to be edited twice, which would be more expensive and cut into the profit margin

the only way i could see them doing this is 3-4 years down the road to re-release the eps, with new and extended never before seen footage...to get you to rebuy what you already own.

works for lucas

how many times has he re-sold the star wars movies?
                        and the original startrek

Comment

I only know of two episodes with scenes that were lost. Shanks said "Bad Guys" was like double the standard length and butchered to fit the time slot. And Tapping said that "Trio" had some more scenes that she liked, but were cut.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

i think most of them have at least a few scenes. IIRC, Joe or someone is always talking about 'this was cut' 'that was cut'

it's 'better' and easier to make them too long and cut than have them be too short and have to fill after the fact
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

plus does stargate go "over" often

extended eps depend on who much extra material you have

Comment

Working...
                              X