Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough bullets can overwhelm a personal shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough bullets can overwhelm a personal shield?

While this is a great episode, the capture of this "new" alien is a bit unbelievable, considering how advanced their technology is, how can their personal shield be overcome so easily? I think Goa'uld has better shield than this.

This capture and later attempted autopsy scene didn't add much to the story line, except blowing up the sickbay. I think the episode would be better if the writer has some other way to express this mysterious alien idea.

Originally posted by su27k View Post
    While this is a great episode, the capture of this "new" alien is a bit unbelievable, considering how advanced their technology is, how can their personal shield be overcome so easily? I think Goa'uld has better shield than this.

This capture and later attempted autopsy scene didn't add much to the story line, except blowing up the sickbay. I think the episode would be better if the writer has some other way to express this mysterious alien idea.

I think he looked back, to see if they were gone (I think I remember him doing that), and in doing so slipped up and lost his shield. That, or the shield he used was a minor one, not meant to resist enemy fire for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by su27k View Post

I was thinking this same thing... the personal shield should never have failed. even if it did... by guns? I found this hard to believe...it's the only little bit i hated in this episode.

Comment

Personally I liked the scene myself. And felt that it could be realistic. Because, yes, bullets may be weak weapons comparitively to other things, look at the fire power they unleashed on it. One P-90, One G-36. One USAS 12, 12 gauge automatic fire. And even though we did not see it actually in action it had one M-249 in the mix. That is a tremendous amount of firepower.

Comment

Yes he may have a personal shield but it may have limited use. We have no idea what powers it nor how long it can last. The force generated by the bullets may be enough to tax the shield over time till it is depleted.

Comment

I thought that the shield failing was a little too coincidentally close to the time that the others left.

Maybe he just gave up and self-terminated (with the suit still functioning of course) knowing that they'd never be able to break through and discover his identity because of the self-destruct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
              I thought that the shield failing was a little too coincidentally close to the time that the others left.

Maybe he just gave up and self-terminated (with the suit still functioning of course) knowing that they'd never be able to break through and discover his identity because of the self-destruct.
              Good point, being that we know nothing about these "people" he very well could have sacrificed himself for the good of the rest of his team.

Comment

As far as I can recall, we've only seen two other types of personal shield tech.

1) Goa'uld Personal Defense Shield:
                - Early ancient tech that was salvaged
                - Omni-directional Oscillating field
                - Repels only high kinetic energy
                - Moderate resilience against offensive weaponry

2) Ancient Personal Shield Emitter:
                - Current tech found by Rodney and Lucius
                - Body shaped static field
                - Repels all anything above the size of oxygen molecules and audio sound waves
                - Perfect resilience against offensive weaponry

3) Asgard Force Barrier:
                - Current Lost Tribe Asgard tech
                - Shaped directional field
                - Repels all matter and energy
                - High resilience against offensive weaponry

An important detail to remember is that the Ancient shield requires the ancient gene to activate and deactivate, and it comes with some drawbacks. The Asgard barrier obviously does not require the gene and the downgrade in power is made up for in versatility. Even multiple heavy firepower weapons required a sustained barrage to bring down it's wall of protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post

That is my thought as well. At first I just thought the shield failed but thinking about it, as you say, it happened just as the other left. I belive he sacrificed himself. Far as we know, their only means to get in and out was with that transporter they brought with them. So as the other 2 left, he was stranded.

Comment

Yeah...I don't know what all this talk about the shield failing comes from...He obviously died.
                    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                      Yeah...I don't know what all this talk about the shield failing comes from...He obviously died.
                      I'm not sure there is anything obvious about it. The shield 'collapsed' shortly after the others left so although eh could have deactivated it, I dont think it is implied. Also I dont think there is anything to suggest he died, he was wearing a pretty hefty piece of armoured suit there and had some sort of shield so I dont see why he would just take that moment to suffer a cardiac arrest.

As for why bullets can take down a personal shield. Perhaps it is designed to protect against energy weapons. So far we know the Goa'uld personal shields are better against energy weapons because they seem to protect against all of these whereas some physical items can get through (depending on speed). Also we have seen that every other race in Pegasus (so far) which could pose any sort of a threat carries energy weapons, so perhaps the shield is set to a frequency or whatever, which is great for repelling energy blasts, but not so great with something physical.

Comment

I think it just ran out of power. They need to run on something.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                          I think it just ran out of power. They need to run on something.
                          I agree with that. He probably weren't carrying a ZPM in there, and it seemed obvious that he was gonna sacrifice himself anyways, it's not like he had an escape-route after the others left.

Comment

I agree with that, the alien knew he wasn't going to escape so he sacrificed himself and he knew the people from Atlantis would try to open his suit which would cause the self-destruct.

Comment

yeah i agree it didn't fail he shut it off when his ppl got out with what they came for
                              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X