Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they keep bringing Dex to Wraith diplomacy sessions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they keep bringing Dex to Wraith diplomacy sessions?

It's not as if

1) He actually wants to be there

2) He's going to have anything to contribute other than insults

3) He actually wants there to be any sort of peace with the Wraith

All he's going to do, if he does anything, is something bad like insult them, pull guns on them or otherwise piss them off and thus ruin the diplomacy. It's obvious that he can't stand to even be in the same room with them so why do they keep dragging him along into these situations where he's going to be expected to make nice with them?

First we saw it in the queen, which was by far the worse situation for him, but now again here. They're ready to recieve the Wraith onto the ship and who's there waiting for them again...

This isn't even necessarily a knock on Ronan himself. I'm sure that given the choice there's a lot of other things he'd rather be doing than pretending to play nice with a Wraith.

"I am Ronon Dex! You kill my People. Prepare to die.
    Last edited by fumblesmcstupid; 27 September 2008, 10:13 PM.
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Well, think about how many of those Wraith diplomacy sessions go sour. When that happens, wouldn't you like to have the guy who's spent the better part of a decade fighting them around to do some aggressive re-negotiation? I mean, it's not like Woolsey is worth a tinker's cuss when things don't go according to plan....
      Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
      I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
      What have these years left to me?
      Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

This time, he came for the girl.

Comment

But he did want to be there this time. He showed up and told Keller he didn't trust the Wraith and should come with her. And I suspect that his motivation for being there every other time is similar - He doesn't like that they're dealing with Wraith, but he wants to be there when things turn out the way he thinks it will.

As for times like "The Queen," he had to be there. He was part of the main team and there was a very real fear that things would go sour. Mckay's complaining early on gave the impression that they wanted it to look like a diplomatic mission so they couldn't bring unknown marines with them to guard them. Therefore having themselves at even more of a disadvantage without Ronon around should they need to fight their way out, would've been bad for them. And generally he was pretty good about it. He hung back, wasn't snarling at every Wraith that passed him, and only turned to threaten Todd once about Teyla's safety.

Comment

Intimidation. The Wraith know how many of their own he's killed and how ruthless about it he was, so including him adds a particular punctuation point to Earth's negotiations with the Wraith.

Besides that, he's a very bright person and can see when things are going bad on a level above the usual shoot-em-up.
            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Sorry, but you keep thinking there's any good reason to bring Ronan to the party, while there's none.
              You think things can go haywire? Bring one more marine with training and a P-90, nor that it will make a big difference in the end... oh wait, stupid me. Hiveships are the easiest ships to infiltrate. Even intruding an old paraplegic lady's house would be more perilous.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Ronon probably commands more respect from the Wraith than Shep and Teyla put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
                  Well, think about how many of those Wraith diplomacy sessions go sour. When that happens, wouldn't you like to have the guy who's spent the better part of a decade fighting them around to do some aggressive re-negotiation? I mean, it's not like Woolsey is worth a tinker's cuss when things don't go according to plan....
                  i don't think they have lightsabers in stargate

KEEP IT CLEAN
                  Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                  Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

i think that he is just there for the fans to go there is ronon

sigpic
                    Sig made by squirrely1
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                      i think that he is just there for the fans to go there is ronon
                      Winner!

Really - no good reason to have him along because he's a loose cannon...he may trigger an 'incident'. Sure, he might be there because he's the best Wraith hunter around, and he's intimidating, and all of that...but he also tries to instigate, and after the Michael incident, they should know better.

So, he's there for the Ronon fans - that's really the bottom line. HOWEVER...they can use him for the good.

In The Queen, he refused to sit at the table with Todd. Nice touch. He will not 'break bread' with Wraith (or eat fruit). It shows he still holds a grudge, still does not trust, and maybe rightly so.

But in First Contact, he came along for the girl, and stayed for the battle. Honestly, to have Ronon there is a bit much - we already had this in Midway. It would have been more fun to have someone less capable, especially since - and this is the important part - Todd is acting 'innocently' - he truly believes that he was betrayed. So, he does the logical thing - he brings in backup. All the Wraith are, in effect, acting out of a genuine belief that they have been double-crossed - this makes them victims as well.

So, now what happens? Ronon is going to go through the ship and kill all the Wraith who are only acting out of a sincere belief that they have been betrayed. That really sucks, and just gives the writers a chance to make yet another *yawn* Wraith killing scene.

So - THAT'S why Ronon is there. A plot device to kill Wraith...and for the fangirls.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

The queen was the worst because there he was actually more likely to get them killed than someone like say, Keller.

Oh sure you can say that he'll be more useful in a fight if a fight happens but the fact of the matter is that if a fight happens, chances are he's likely to have started it in the first place.

In that type of situation I'd much rather be picking people who are less likely to provoke an entire hiveship into wanting to kill me because if they do decide they want to kill me, it's not really going to make much of a difference if it's Ronon or Woolsey who's got my back vs a few thousand angry Wraith on their home turf.

Comment

Its like taking a "Red Shirt" on an away mission in Trek, you know someone's gonna die, they take Ronan, you know somethings gonna kick off...

Comment

Does it ever?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Ronon probably commands more respect from the Wraith than Shep and Teyla put together.
                              and if something goes wrong

who would you rather be with you
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X