Pirates of the Pegasus Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirates of the Pegasus Galaxy

I found it interesting that the Wraith - or, more specifically, Todd - picked a few things up in his travels. Now...we assume a group like the Travelers would do so, but the Wraith? They steal life force, not silverware...

Or, do they?

Now, I can understand gathering food, since their young do eat and the Wraith certainly aren't farmers. Although, without a queen, Todd's hive didn't have any young, I would assume. So, obviously, he made the fruit available solely for his guests. But what about the table and chairs, the candles - even the bowls? Were all of these things pilfered from the villages they raided?

I know we saw a table in The Rising, but we really haven't seen a lot of human tech or wares aboard a Wraith ship, though Michael's labs certainly incorporate human tech with Wraith. He had to get that somewhere, so I suppose it's safe to assume that he 'stole' it from human populations. Aboard Wraith ships, however...human possessions are not commonly seen, well, except for Todd's.

Is it then safe to assume that the Wraith, or at least some, steal whatever they want from the people they cull? If so, would this explain some of their clothing (esp. the Queen's fancier garb), or their jewelry? Some things, like the finger armor, certainly look like Wraith tech, but Steve wore a nice silver thumb ring, and that didn't appear to be very Wraithy at all.

They don't mine (as far as we can tell), they don't farm, they are not carpenters (as far as we can tell) - so their metals and foods and items made of wood would all come from another source - humans.

So, if they are like pirates, not only culling, but also raiding and pillaging - why?

Because they're opportunists? Lazy? Greedy? Why not make their own furniture, or candles, or whatever? Why take it from others?

And why don't they think it's beneath them to use items made by lowly humans? Isn't all that is Wraith far superior to that which belongs to their food supply?

Just would like to hear some thoughts on this...

(oh, and does anyone else giggle at the thought of a couple Wraith grabbing big ol' table during a frenzied cull? People running and screaming, darts zipping around overhead, homes burning...and there goes Kenny and Todd carting off a table in the midst of it all! All I can see is something like a scene out of Pirates of the Caribbean, with Pintel and Ragetti (the bald guy and the wooden-eyed guy) sneaking off with a big chest of loot, giggling to themselves about what they're going to do with it all...)

das
    sigpic

LOL, I nearly choked on my gum at that last metal image there!

Captain "Todd" Sparrow ...I can see it now...

^_^
    sigpic
    Thanks for the sig idea Das!

Comment

I guess they want to provide "guests" a more proper environment.
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanlee View Post
        LOL, I nearly choked on my gum at that last metal image there!

Captain "Todd" Sparrow ...I can see it now...

^_^
        For some reason, I imagine that you could come up with a great doctored-up Todd picture - with beads in his hair and everything!

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
        I guess they want to provide "guests" a more proper environment.

Yes - I think Todd was being 'thoughtful' - or, he was trying to make an impression, or...more human-like.

I think of my friends who are from other countries - when they come to visit, I always like to have something around that they're familiar with - a particular food, or drink, or something. So, Todd was trying to make the humans feel 'at home', perhaps.

But he still said that they pick things up in their travels, as if it's a common practice, and not just limited to a table and a few chairs in anticipation of entertaining human guests.

I dunno - I can live with Todd sucking the life out of innocent humans, but not so sure I can handle him being a petty thief on top of it!

das
        sigpic

Comment

I can see that as entirely likely. I mean if you've already commited yourself to eating somebody and any of his family members too slow to escape, grabbing his couch and bath towels on top of it isn't really that much further to go.

Maybe after the warriors are done stripping a villiage of all human life the queens fly down and go "shopping".

"Oh wouldn't that hat look just perfect on Steve!"

Comment

Their human followers probably supply them with a lot of the extraneous stuff like clothing, jewelry(we know Wraith have a sense of beauty, look at Steve's ring and Todd wanting to see the stars again), and other things. They have enough followers to get pretty much whatever they need, besides their food supply that is.
            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
              So, if they are like pirates, not only culling, but also raiding and pillaging - why?

Because they're opportunists? Lazy? Greedy? Why not make their own furniture, or candles, or whatever? Why take it from others?

Just would like to hear some thoughts on this...

(oh, and does anyone else giggle at the thought of a couple Wraith grabbing big ol' table during a frenzied cull? People running and screaming, darts zipping around overhead, homes burning...and there goes Kenny and Todd carting off a table in the midst of it all! All I can see is something like a scene out of Pirates of the Caribbean, with Pintel and Ragetti (the bald guy and the wooden-eyed guy) sneaking off with a big chest of loot, giggling to themselves about what they're going to do with it all...)

das
              If that image gives you giggles, picture a couple of sawdust-covered Wraiths in a workshop doing their own carpentry.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor
                Well, das made me do it. Here's my obligatory terribly-edited picture of everyone's apparent not-so-secret desire:
                todd - "but why are all the humans gone!? "

careful though, the mods will get you for that picture... apparently photo manips like that are against the rules.
                Last edited by naamiaiset; 18 September 2008, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post

careful though, the mods will get you for that picture... apparently photo manips like that are against the rules.
                  Geez, between not realizing that and having my sig a bit too long yesterday, I'm a on roll. Ack.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Todd: "My ZPM!"

Comment

this topic reminds me of this :

http://files.filefront.com/Dead+Wrai.../fileinfo.html
                      Last edited by naamiaiset; 18 September 2008, 03:16 AM.

Comment

ROFL. You people make my day.
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

LOL cool vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
                            Todd: "My ZPM!"

Comment

Lmao nice read, Made me laugh

Comment

Working...
                              X