Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modeling Challenge Thread

Geez, a Modeling Challenge Thread, It's been only a matter of time since one popped up here and I decided that I'll be the one to create it.
    Now to the fun stuff, every month or so I'll issue a challenge to be taken on by the members of this site, I invite all of the members of this forum to participate, there are no qualifications,all you are required to do is just post that your going to try this and then model away my friend.

Now if your new to this whole 3D modeling thing then there are members that can help you out, don't be afraid to ask about something. I decided to post some links to some modeling programs below, first i would start you off on Google Sketchup. Its a good program and many people here use it because of the ease of the user interface and the speed of the modeling that you can achieve. Quick and good models. Another program for you guys who want to be a little more adventurous I present you with Blender. Unlike Sketchup, Blender is a program the has a built in rendering feature, this will help you make better images of you models than Sketchup. Also Blender has a more complicated user interface, you'll have to look into some tutorials to become real good at this program.

------------------------------

The Rules
    1. Be sure to submit you model on time.
    2. Steer clear of technologies in the challenges that are not present in the current shows or movies. If new ones are introduced then it's fair game in the challenge. If there are any changes regarding technology then they will be noted in the challenge requirements.
    3. Post specifications and a small history of your model with each submission.
    4. Be blatantly obvious that when you label your submission post. I get confused because sometimes I don't know what's a submission.
    5.Use your Imagination!

The Rules and Guidelines for the Administrator

Rules
    1. You cannot participate in any challenge you are currently putting on.
    2. You must remain impartial in all challenges you are currently putting on.
    3. You cannot administer more than three challenges consecutively per term. There are no term limits.
    4. You must create a challenge of the member’s majority vote; if they are indecisive you can choose from the ones presented. If none are presented then you can choose one of you preference.
    5. You must create a panel of judges to critique each challenge; the members of this panel must not be participating in the current challenge, they must have an impartial view of the participants, and they must be able to submit their critiques on time.
    6. You must create an accurate critique for the judge panel to use in the judging process.
    7. You must post the results in a timely manner.
    8. Be Happy!

Guidelines
    1. Judge panels usually consist of 5 members.
    2. Challenge lengths start at 30 days and get longer depending on the circumstances.
    3. Posting the timetable left until the challenge ends helps the participants gauge their time accordingly.
    4. Technological guidelines help keep the submissions in order. Use your judgment.

The First Challenge

Now for the first of many for this thread I choose to make it a doozy. I am looking for a Space Station, but not just any space station. This one has to have multiple docking features for ships of various sizes, a dry dock for ship construction, a hospital, and a defense weapons platform for a moderate planet defense. The rest is to you, be creative, this doesn't have to be the exactly what I require, may the best model win!
    The first due date for this model will be on September 20th 2008, and the final submission will be on October 20th 2008 Midnight EST. Have Fun!

The First Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Second Challenge

Ahhh, The Second Challenge, I've been thinking for sometime for something to do are the second one. After thinking about it before I went to sleep one night (I lost sleep), I decided that there needed to be a civilian ship in the fleet(s). So here is the challenge.

You need to create a company that manufactures Civilian Space Craft, weather it's meant for commercial, industrial, or residential uses. There needs to be a history of the company and the full specs for their ship. You can only use technology that is a real life practicality today and materials that are present on earth or that they use in the show today. There are no set requirements for the size or displacement of the ship, but let it be known that the ship that has the best history, specs, use, and look will probably have the best score. The due date for this will be in one month for tomorrow, in other words November 25th 2008 Midnight EST. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Second Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Third Challenge

The Third Challenge is going to be a Military Bomber. It is an all purpose bomber that is capable of space travel as well as operation in an atmosphere. There are no requirements as for the size, weight, or power of this vessel but no FanWank. This requires you to model a ship, and present detailed specs of that ship upon the deadline. As usual the base rule is only using the stargate technology that is currently in the show. I must be in on the deadline date no late entries. The deadline is going to be on Janurary 15th 2009 Midnight EST. If you have questions please ask them.

The Third Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Fourth Challenge

The Stargate activates and a camera doom in on the event horizon, a SG team comes through it, the gate shuts down and the camera rotates 180 degrees and you see a Single Unnatural Structure or object or anything you want.
    This structure can be anything you want it to be, an arch way, to monolith to a pyramid, a diamond, a temple, a floating alien whale but it must be alien and original. You have got to the February 15th 2009 Midnight GMT to get you entries in or until I get online and post a post with all entries in aka I will not be checking exact times that you post final render, as long is up by the time I check.

The Fourth Challenge was administered by Knowles2,His Original Post

Results

The Fifth Challenge

Basically this is a model challenge that is based on the technology of another current country. Lets say that a piece of alien technology was found on earth at some point in the last two hundred years. the country that found this didn't know what to do with it but they studied it in secret, much the way the US and Russia studied the Stargate and DHD.
    When the SGC disclosed to other countries its activities this country was able to make some breakthroughs on their current research.
    Design something that has been developed by another country in secret over the past few years. An Unknown Advanced Tech. This could be an advanced fighter jet. Hand held device or whatever. It must be hybrid"ish" in appearance and have a research history including activity before and after disclosure of the Stargate program. This will be due on March 20th 2009 Midnight EST

The Fifth Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Sixth Challenge

Of the challenges so far there has not been anything in the spectrum of a fighter carrier. And that brought me to make this the sixth challenge, a Fighter Carrier. As always I'm issuing the rules for the technology requirements. There are to be no technologies that are not currently on the show or seen on the show. And a new one is scaling is to be within 1500 meters. This is due on April 25th 2009 Midnight EST. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Sixth Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Seventh Challenge

It's time to create a Destroyer. For this challenge there are going to be few restrictions on what you make. It doesn't matter what race makes it or how big it is. Just keep in mind that if what your creating seems outlandish the judges might not think so high of your submission. As always respect the rules of the technology in the show. This is due on June 5th 2009 Midnight EST extended to June 14th 2009 Midnight EST. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Seventh Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Eighth Challenge

Now with The Eighth Challenge comes the Stealth Ship. The restriction on technology for this challenge has been lifted but there should be no ridiculous ships submitted. Remember your goal it to win, the judges know whats acceptable and whats not and will graded accordingly. Please choose your stealth technologies with logic, and please provide insight. Keep your ships realistic according to the criteria. All submissions are due on July 31, 2009 at Midnight EST.

The Eighth Challenge was admisitered by Finger13, His Original Post.

No Results

Last edited by boberth2o; 27 July 2010, 12:09 PM.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

The Ninth Challenge

For this, the Ninth Challenge the goal it to create a Land Based Assault Vehicle that can be used in multiple ways. Plain and simple, abide by the standard rules that are in the first post of this thread. All submissions are due on October 10, 2009 at Midnight EST.
    Please use your brain when you want to question things, this is a simple challenge. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go look at them, don't ask me. I posted them for a reason.

The Ninth Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Tenth Challenge

For the Tenth Challenge you will be creating a Ground Base. Plain and simple, abide by the standard rules that are in the first post of this thread. All submissions are due on November 25, 2009 at Midnight EST. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go look at them they are on the first post. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Tenth Challenge was admisitered by Boberth2o

Results

The Eleventh Challenge

For the Eleventh Challenge you will be creating a Free Jaffa Nation Warship. The restrictions on technology are going to be lifted on this challenge. This is to make it easier for you modelers to dream up your creations. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. Warships are a large genre, take for example current naval ships like carriers, destroyers, cruisers, battleships and frigates. They are all warships. I don't want to limit you to the standard of one ship does it all, Imaginate! All submissions are due on January 2nd, 2010 at Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Eleventh Challenge was administered by Boberth2o

Results

The Twelfth Challenge

For the Twelfth Challenge you will be creating a Naval Vessel from any country of any era, including the future. The restrictions on technology are going to be lifted on this challenge. This is to make it easier for you modelers to dream up your creations. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. All submissions are due on February 20th, 2010 at Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

The Tweltfth Challenge was administered by Boberth2o

The Thirteenth Challenge

Part I

For the Thirteenth Challenge Part I you will be creating a New Winner Signature
    for the challenge winners. The dimensions will have to be 95 pixels in height and 750 pixels in width. Those are the only restricitions for this part so cheers and Happy Photoshoping!

Part II

For the Thirteenth Challenge Part II you will be creating Gunship. There are the normal restrictions and if doesn't have to be for a specific race. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. All submissions are due on April, 25 2010 at Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Cheers and Happy Modeling!

You can do either or, you don't have to submit both. Same submission date for both.

The Thirteenth Challenge was administered by Boberth2o

Results

The Fourteenth Challenge

For the The Fourteenth Challenge you will be creating a Mech also know as a robot, iron man type suite starwars type walker or manga/anime style gundam from any country of any era, including the future. The restrictions on technology are going to be lifted on this challenge. This is to make it easier for you modelers to dream up your creations. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. All submissions are due on June 5th Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Happy Modeling!

The Fourteenth Challenge was administered by Alx

Winner by forfeit DrLee

The Fifteenth Challenge

For the The Fifteenth Challenge you will be creating an Orbital weapons/defensive satelite system from any country of any era, including the future. The restrictions on technology are going to be lifted on this challenge. This is to make it easier for you modelers to dream up your creations. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. All submissions are due on July 20th Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Happy Modeling!

The Fifteenth Challenge was administered by Alx

The Sixteenth Challenge

For the The Sixteenth Challenge you will be creating an a Futuristic City/Colony. The scaling, style and method is of your choosing, go wild! The restrictions on technology are going to be lifted on this challenge. This is to make it easier for you modelers to dream up your creations. But keep it reasonable because you want to be able to win it in the end. All submissions are due on September 19th Midnight GMT. If you want to do something and think it's against the rules, go check them out they are on the first post. Happy Modeling!

The Sixteenth Challenge was administered by Alx, Boberth2o

The Seventeenth Challenge

The Eighteenth Challenge

The Nineteenth Challenge

The Twentieth Challenge

Last edited by boberth2o; 18 August 2010, 11:24 AM.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Space Saved
      Last edited by boberth2o; 21 October 2009, 03:05 PM.
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Normally I would, but... I already have enough projects to keep me busy for now.

No doubt I will do one of the later challenges.

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
        Ah... But the sprend word of the Modeling Challenge Thread too all that you know!
        lol, I shall.
        Last edited by Skydiver; 21 October 2009, 03:17 PM.
        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Ill take you up on this. Give me an hour or so ill have something.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Cool, a little update on the challenge here, the winner will recieve a Golden Gate,

sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Spoiler:

A half decent start.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

I'll try too, but i'm more preocupied with a project i'm working on in my 3d class, A door knob!!! it really hard because my teacher wants it to be perfect or else we're going to do another object instead of moving on to a project of our chosing, on second thought, i'll wait for the next one

KEEP IT CLEAN
                Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
                  I'll try too, but i'm more preocupied with a project i'm working on in my 3d class, A door knob!!! it really hard because my teacher wants it to be perfect or else we're going to do another object instead of moving on to a project of our chosing, on second thought, i'll wait for the next one
                  good to see that you're interested!
                  sigpic
                  ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                    Spoiler:

A half decent start.
                    Looking Good, seems that right now your going to win for sure since no one else is doing it.
                    sigpic
                    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I'll start my work right now

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                        I'll start my work right now
                        Cool Can't wait to see whats its going to look like
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

i'll give it a go

Comment

Sweet the more the better!
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

yea, i might participate.

Bob, perhaps the next challenge should be ground base?

Comment

Working...
                              X