Do the Wraith have names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Wraith have names?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I would have no idea where to find it if it has, but how do the wraith refer to each other? Last night when "queen" Teyla was getting ready to leave, she said "While I'm gone everyone will listen to my second in command," meaning Todd of course. She obviously couldn't call him Todd, but I was hoping she would refer to him however by his 'wraith name,' in other words, how the other wraith do. They have to call themselves something.

If they do, they won't admit to it which is why Sheppard started naming them. If they don't it might be because they identify each other as different individuals through their telepathic links, but nobody knows at this point as very little has been said about it other than that they haven't chosen to either share their names with Humans or give an explaination.

Comment

Thanks, Xaeden. I know they never tell US (Sheppard and the others from Atlantis), but in "The Queen" they were among their own kind, thinking Teyla was their queen. There was no reason for Teyla not to ask Todd what his 'real' name was (in private of course) and use that when referring to him. And as for them using their telepathic link.... they obviously speak aloud to each other so they must use some sort of designation.

Comment

Well, because most wraith are clones soldiers, really there is only a very short number of Scientist wraiths on Hives so having names really has no use as they can differentiate each other mentally with their abilities IMO.

Tain

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
          Thanks, Xaeden. I know they never tell US (Sheppard and the others from Atlantis), but in "The Queen" they were among their own kind, thinking Teyla was their queen. There was no reason for Teyla not to ask Todd what his 'real' name was (in private of course) and use that when referring to him. And as for them using their telepathic link.... they obviously speak aloud to each other so they must use some sort of designation.
          Or they could just go "Hey you with the face..." but if you think about it the really dont need to have names it just makes things easier when your addressing someone. Just because they talk aloud doesn't mean they have to. Each Wraith may have a certain telepathic presence and they could just identify each other through those.

Comment

Well, let's consider what we mean by "names." If you're defining a "name" as "a collection of vocal sounds designating a particular individual," then a largely telepathic race would have no need of them. They'd have other ways to tell each other apart, but it probably wouldn't be something they could adequately express in words. Todd's "name" might be some variation on "that one guy with the star on his face and the awesome voice." Which is easier to think than it is to say.

Of course, the fact that the Wraith are not ENTIRELY telepathic is a sticky widget; they do actually have to speak to one another pretty regularly. Maybe this is just a plot device, because having them just stand around silently would be weird.
            Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
            I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
            What have these years left to me?
            Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Well I think they must have a Telepathic Connection, which helps them identity each other.

Of Course RANK also plays a major role in communication like in the military. Queens are simply known to the Hive as "The Queen".
              sigpic
              Banner Made By Me for Me
              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

All of them have been cloned and they are all telepathic, they seem to be divided by task and thats how they identify eachother... similar to bugs.

Judging by Beckett#2 wraith cloning replicates the mind, so there isnt really alot of difference between the different classes of their jobs. If you worked in a accounting office full of 80 exact copies of yourself would you call them all by your name? No youd be all "guy doing XXXX part tell me the status of XX"

Comment

officially the wraith don't have names aside from the names given to them by the team
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    All of them have been cloned
                    Wraith are not clones. We know at least that the warriors are born in pods into which the queen's genetic material is brought by some kind of wires.
                    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
                      Wraith are not clones. We know at least that the warriors are born in pods into which the queen's genetic material is brought by some kind of wires.
                      That is true they are not ALL Clones. Only one large Fraction of Drones where ever Cloned, when fighting the Ancients. Apart from that One Cloning Facility (now destroyed) the Wraith breed like normal (for a Wraith).

Also if they where all Clones they would all look the same, However only the Drones do, since they seem to be born into a standard form (like ants)
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

The reason why the Wraith don't have their own names is that in the time it would take to pronounce one letter of their true name, a trillion cosmoses would flare into existence and sink into eternal night.
                        It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                        --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Do you realize that we went through five seasons of SGA and still have not found out whether or not the Wraith have names? When Carson asked the scientist wraith in Allies if they had names the wraith simply stared at him. I know that if the wraith wanted to talk to someone they could get their attention because of their telepathic abilities. But if they refer to someone in a conversation how would they get their point across if the wraith don't have names? The closest thing to a name so far is the title of Primary which they give to the head Queen of an alliance. It is possible that they do have names but if that was the case why all of the secrecy? Why wouldn't Todd or Michael tell Atlantis their real names if they had them? What do you guys think?
                          "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

no, because in their community they communicate telepathically with each other.
                            in this way was no longer required assigning a name to each representative of their species.

Comment

"Primary" or "Keeper" or such titles are most likely translations of the thoughts into language. As to names, they most likely have something along the lines of a personality snapshot, a brief flash of things the wraith did and what he/she is like.

He's another question: do the Wraith have females aside form Queens? Is the Wraith from Instinct a Queen then?

Comment

Working...
                              X