Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw it coming a mile away (SPOILERS)

** Spoilers**

While I loved David Hewlett's performance in this show, much as I enjoyed Michael Shanks' performance in the SG-1 episode where several ships' crews' minds were stuck in Dr. Jackson's mind (what was the name and season of that show again?), I had mixed feelings while enjoying this show. It was just too stupid for me.

First of all, a beast lived inside of his brain. The presence of a foreign object inside a human brain, especially as easily as it found its way out towards the end, would kill him. I mean, the thing was huge; anything as big as a small pin would wipe someone out. If he did survive, it would cause such brain damage that it would destroy his capacity as the smartest modern human scientist and computer engineer in our universe.

Second, the doctor would see it. The doctor ran scans and determined that the brain cells were not dying but were just going dormant; she surely could have seen that, hello, there's a foreign object in his brain! They saw nanites before, why not a giant organism??

Third, as soon as the shrine was mentioned, within a split second, I knew how it would end. I knew that the shrine would emit some kind of energy that affects something that is in Rodney's head, and by going there, there would be either a scientific or a medical reason for his symptoms. I knew that these characters were bright enough to think this through in a split second just like I was. I didn't anticipate a living organism stuck in his brain, I expected something more scientific or less simple. Once I saw the organism the show reminded me of the original Star Trek or one of its movies.

I did enjoy the show, but in retrospect I feel jipped by the writers.
    Last edited by stimpy77; 09 September 2008, 01:49 AM.

The writers are let out of all those limitations you mentioned because its an ALIEN. Aliens dont really exist and thus can do things that arent realistic.

A story about a brain bug that didnt permantly braindamage its host is just as believable as instant trans galatic travel and flying cities IMHO.

Comment

I don't think you read my full post but regardless, I was just expressing my opinion. Some theoretical believabiity in sci-fi is important in order for it to be fully enjoyed and experienced.

The main argument I was trying t make was point #3. The characters' inability to consider that the shrine had some value for scientific or medical discovery was the most unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy77 View Post
        ** Spoilers**

Third, as soon as the shrine was mentioned, within a split second, I knew how it would end. I knew that the shrine would emit some kind of energy that affects something that is in Rodney's head, and by going there, there would be either a scientific or a medical reason for his symptoms. I knew that these characters were bright enough to think this through in a split second just like I was. I didn't anticipate a living organism stuck in his brain, I expected something more scientific or less simple. Once I saw the organism the show reminded me of the original Star Trek or one of its movies.
        Originally posted by stimpy77 View Post
        I don't think you read my full post but regardless, I was just expressing my opinion. Some theoretical believabiity in sci-fi is important in order for it to be fully enjoyed and experienced.

The main argument I was trying t make was point #3. The characters' inability to consider that the shrine had some value for scientific or medical discovery was the most unbelievable.
        A split second is way too long to describe how transparent the conclusion was. Along with the little clue at the beginning, the whole story arc was a bit ruined for me. All that skepticism about the shrine took me out of the story, especially when Keller pooh-poohed the whole notion. That didn't seem like her. Overall, I've been impressed with the storytelling this season but that was bad, bad, bad.

I still really enjoyed it though. The acting and writing were pretty great otherwise.

Comment

The organism didn't show up on initial scans since it was tiny at the time; it was mentioned in the episode.

Of course, when they realized that something is off about Rodney, they scanned him again and hello parasite.

Comment

Working...
          X