Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come John is an idiot all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wm_1987 View Post
    I don't think he thought less of the women or that they couldn't do as much as he could. It might have come off that way, but come on look at how much he thinks of and respects Teyla, and Carter (which he says in Search and Rescue).
    Those are well-written women he's had the time to get to know. On missions, he generally flirts with women to get his way.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      Those are well-written women he's had the time to get to know. On missions, he generally flirts with women to get his way.
      Give me one incident. You seem to have an obsession with this but you can never back it up. John has never flirted with anyone whilst on a mission. In fact the guy gets no action whatsover whilst Carson spent the whole time flirting with his fellow scientist.. where's your outrage there... and what about little ol Rodney.. falls in love with the drop of a hat and we have been subjected to his love life more than anyone else.. I guess that's no problem for you though... just John and all his imaginary women.

Sheppard treated the women on his team exactly the way he treats everyone... with respect and as to giving them orders... he's a Colonel... they're not.... he's in charge.. again so he's allowed to give orders... since when to you start questioning the orders of your commanding officer... maybe they should of had a vote on it..

Sheppard has always been willing to put himself in danger before his team..that's what he does.. he has done in throughout the seasons.. so nothing different here at all.... as to setting the charge first.. why on earth would he do that.. how would he have know how long to set it for.. what would happen if he wasnt quite ready and the charge was already set.

It was the noise of the well being pulled up that drew their attention.... but who wants things to go perfectly to plan.. where is the drama in that if it all goes down peachy.....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
        Give me one incident. You seem to have an obsession with this but you can never back it up. John has never flirted with anyone whilst on a mission. In fact the guy gets no action whatsover whilst Carson spent the whole time flirting with his fellow scientist.. where's your outrage there... and what about little ol Rodney.. falls in love with the drop of a hat and we have been subjected to his love life more than anyone else.. I guess that's no problem for you though... just John and all his imaginary women.
        * "Rising", John put on the flyboy charm, but it didn't bite on Teyla.
        * "Sanctuary", gave the woman a tour, gave her the last of Atlantis' strawberries, had a picnic with her. Tentacle sex.
        * "Epiphany" - "I've been waiting for you all my life, tonight is the night. You'll lead us to Ascension." (or something like that) "Oh, I was hoping for something else." "That too." "Ooh!".
        * "Inferno" - Possible ****block, what's-her-name-scientist.
        * "Travelers" - Mostly Larrin, but John reciprocated. And when she suspiciously started making out with him after proving herself untrustworthy and while they were still in a combat situation (come on, it's such a cliché to kiss someone to backstab them), he responded by kissing back.

He generally turns on the flyboy charm and flirts around a lot to get his way. Sometimes, it goes into actual full-on flighting. Carson does this on what episodes now?

And falling in love occasionally =/= Flirting. At least he doesn't flirt around. He's fallen in love how many times now, by the way? Twice (on the show)? The other two times, he was just smitten.

Sheppard treated the women on his team exactly the way he treats everyone... with respect and as to giving them orders... he's a Colonel... they're not.... he's in charge.. again so he's allowed to give orders... since when to you start questioning the orders of your commanding officer... maybe they should of had a vote on it..
        Yes, disregarding their input entirely when they point out the plan's flaws is listening to them and giving them respect.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...55#post8904055

Flying Officer Bennet, an actual Air Force whatever (dunno his rank), albeit British, gives his thoughts on just exactly what John did wrong.

It's funny how the people defending John are so quick to rewrite the episode. It's questioning orders now to try to point out that you need a backup plan, something you always need, especially when Plan A is risky and prone to failure?! It's common procedure to do what John chose to completely disregard. The one at fault was John.

Sheppard has always been willing to put himself in danger before his team..that's what he does.. he has done in throughout the seasons.. so nothing different here at all.... as to setting the charge first.. why on earth would he do that.. how would he have know how long to set it for.. what would happen if he wasnt quite ready and the charge was already set.
        Umm... how hard is it to know how long to set it for? It takes mere seconds to turn the tablet on and put it in the well, you saw that. Set it for 5 minutes just as usual.

It'll obviously be enough since the creatures are lightning fast when they want to and Porter specifically stated that it would draw them right to him, implying they'd start heading right for the tablet the second it was turned on. It was a subsonic burst, designed to constantly attack their ears to draw them to it.

At most, he'd have to set it for 30 seconds extra. Logic, people, logic.

It was the noise of the well being pulled up that drew their attention.... but who wants things to go perfectly to plan.. where is the drama in that if it all goes down peachy.....
        Yes, and the plan almost failed because of it. John barely had time to set the charge.

We cannot know for sure whether it was the noise or the signal. But either way, it's logical to set the charge first. Even if it was the noise, setting the charge first would've been prudent, if not at least from when you realize the crank is very noisy.

John barely had time to set the charge. Had that monster been a little closer when John starting making noise, the mission might have failed due to John deciding to set the charge last when logic dictates it should be set first.

Comment

it seemed to me that both carson and john were trying to protect women who needed no protection in this episode.

carson runs after dusty (abandoning porter for some insane reason) against her orders because, i suppose it's too dangerous for her out there.

then john keeps the women out of the danger zone in the final act. of course it's his prerogative as the commanding officer, but it seemed to me that the planning scene was written in a way to show him dismissing the concerns of the women in order to keep them out of danger.

i might be reading too much into it, but i think this is one of the main themes of the episode, especially since the men's misguided attempts to protect the women cause most of the problems in the episode.

Comment

Umm... that was Rodney.
            er, you do realize that was a joke...

Comment

Originally posted by grime View Post
              Stuff.
              Carson running out on Porter was just insane. First of all, what happened to his attraction to Porter? Second of all, since when does he choose to fight? Third, Dusty is a trained soldier. She's supposed to do that. She's been trained for it.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                Ah come on, he had a parasite in his brain! That would explain ALL the stupidity abounding in this episode (aka THE SHRINE)
                He had one attached to his neck & its a terrible joke due to the fact you had the wrong character in the wrong situation

Comment

Methinks someone has this obsession cuz Shep isn't gay and all lovin' on him.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                  O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRico View Post
                    He had one attached to his neck & its a terrible joke due to the fact you had the wrong character in the wrong situation
                    Well, all of the really stupid stuff started happening only after that episode...

Comment

Well, all of the really stupid stuff started happening only after that episode...
                      must be the fog...
                      supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRico View Post
                        Hmm, let me explain. in The SHrine, the parasite in Rodney's brain caused him to lose intelligence. Ergo, if John's losing his smarts in Whispers, why not a parasite? And yes, meant as a joke...

Comment

I agree he made a couple of mistakes this episode but HEY HE IS THE GUY WHO SAVED ATLANTIS COUNTLESS TIMES AND HE LEADS THE FLAGSHIP UNIT BECAUSE HE HAS THE ANCIENT GENE (NATURALLY) AND HE CAN FIRE THE DRONES WAY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER GUY IN THAT DANG CHAIR. GEEZ PEOPLE STOP PUTTIN DOWN SHEP!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdock View Post
                            I agree he made a couple of mistakes this episode but HEY HE IS THE GUY WHO SAVED ATLANTIS COUNTLESS TIMES AND HE LEADS THE FLAGSHIP UNIT BECAUSE HE HAS THE ANCIENT GENE (NATURALLY) AND HE CAN FIRE THE DRONES WAY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER GUY IN THAT DANG CHAIR. GEEZ PEOPLE STOP PUTTIN DOWN SHEP!!
                            Having done good things in the past does not get you an automatic get out of jail free card for all possible future mistakes, no matter how idiotic.

Comment

So that explains why he's first choice pilot for jumpers, Ancient warships, and manning the chair, but why team leader again?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Caps lock is cruise control for cool.

Not.
                                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X