No announcement yet.

Boring Episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the episode was quite good, I don't know what you people are on about.

WTF Boring episode ???? NO. It seems that some of the people here are being a bit chauvinistic here, I really don't mind them having some girls in the episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
      I don't get why people think that every episode has to "further the story arc."
      Not every episode has to "further the story arc", no, but when out of 7 episodes, all we have as arc episodes are "Search and Rescue" and "Ghost in the Machine" (which continues a story arc a year old and will likely never be revisited again), the seasons begins to feel rather pointless despite individually great episodes. And it's even worse when watching not-so-great episodes.
      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
        Not every episode has to "further the story arc", no, but when out of 7 episodes, all we have as arc episodes are "Search and Rescue" and "Ghost in the Machine" (which continues a story arc a year old and will likely never be revisited again), the seasons begins to feel rather pointless despite individually great episodes. And it's even worse when watching not-so-great episodes.
        Quite true but I would also add that without a decent number of "trying-to-defeat-the-wraith" episodes (like developing the retro virus, a potential weapon or cure), it will just feel as though the wraith were a little too easy to eliminate when they eventually are defeated. They are a big problem in pegasus, they are feeding (my gosh peoples they are killing humans!!!), but at times it does appear that the wraith are not a real issue. Its almost like Atlantis are waiting for the wraith to make a move instead of actually going out and trying to take out some hive ships (werent there a few that we found in 'the shrine'? who knows, it could be their birthday. Why not give them a few nukes wrapped in a bow to celebrate?)

I also dont like the idea of replacing the main characters (ronon, mckay, teyla) for recurring characters, but I suppose thats another story.
        Spoiler:

Comment

I had no problem with the all female team - just the way they were played. As a military wife and a 20 year law enforcement officer, both as a a deputy and an investigator, I know first hand that the women rarely behave the way this team was portrayed - at least not the women who are good at their jobs. Seems like they alternated between "butch" and "damsel in distress", but never really came across as strong competent women. Amanda Tapping usually managed to portray Carter as a competent and intelligent warrior without losing her femininity or apologizing for her gender. What happened to this team? My philosophy has always been "If you aren't using your gender as an excuse to fail or to demand lower standards, you should never apologize for being female."
          HappyCamper

Comment

It wasn't so much boring, as it was very predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron Atlantis View Post
              I thought the episode was quite good, I don't know what you people are on about.
              Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's called having an opinion, an opinion that differs.

Originally posted by prion View Post
              It wasn't so much boring, as it was very predictable.
              For me, it happened to be both.

How many times did they have to run out into the fog to go look for the idiot who runs off by themselves...Dusty, Carson, Porter, and then Carson again. Yes, the episode is playing up the cheese factor of those types of movies, but come on that just got old, quick. That along with an almost nonexistent plot plus the high predictability factor is why the episode rated pretty boring to me. It needed some MST3K commentary. Then it would have been entertaining.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Yes this episode was boring and should have been re-written.
                First off someone good enough to make it into a SG unit, knows that there is a separation of emotion from duty, they are suppose to be the best of the best, but it seems that any clumsy, over emotional, one-sided person can make it into a SG unit. Romance during duty is totally out. The writers are forgotten these are military units and should be treated as such.
                Dusty's attitude is not bad, but the acting was horrible.
                There seem to be no plot to this episode, nothing that ties it to the story of SGA, no character development.
                Nothing but Sheppard and a bunch of women, in lipstick and eyeliner, ya the military allows that during duty, not. Plus none of them looks like they could even handle basic training.
                The writers have lost total perspective, and continuity in this show. I not happy that the series got canceled this way, just crashed and burned

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
                  they were just walking around in the dark the entire episode. no plot at all.
                  its episodes like these that make me glad atlantis was cancelled.
                  No you cant say that. You cannot make a statment saying "its episodes like these that make me glad atlantis was cancelled". Like you maybe, I like a good space explosive action episode but those cost money and are called action episodes, if you had lots of them then you wont have any character building episodes. Ok, maybe it wasnt the best episode storywise but at least the atmosphere portayed in the episode was awesome and we got to see Nicola DeBoer, {growl}

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
                    I don't get why people think that every episode has to "further the story arc."

Why?? The writers know where they're going with the story, and they'll take us there. The title of the show is "Atlantis," not "How the Atlantis Expedition Beat the Wraith." The SG expedition is a team of explorers, and they 'woke' the Wraith by accident, so that's a problem that they deal with from time to time. Okay, so it takes way more time then they'd like, but it's NOT why they're in Atlantis. They don't encounter the Wraith on every planet or every mission. Other stuff happens, and these episodes illustrate that fact.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Hey, I just noticed all these icons, so I have to use one!
                    They dont. It is nice to break away now and again. I used to find that comforting in SG1 cause to the end I got a bit fed up with Go'uld and that is really how to start to introduce new tech too, popping off to the old world that has good technology etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDave545 View Post
                      OMG Loved this episode, simply because it was a monsetr of the week sort of episode.

It was an Evil Dead/I Am Legend/Night Of The Living Dead sort of episode, it was just greast, this eppy was scarier than most horror films made today.

Loved it.

Here here. I love zombie films and that gave me that fix.

Comment

The Episode was nice, kinda Resident Evil style.... XD

Comment

I agree. The Shrine was one of the best of all time - even better than anything in SG-1, and this one is probably the biggest yawnfest of all the bad ones - even counting SG1's few bad ones in the pile. Guess it balances out in the end >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
                            No, I don't think I will stop watching it. I am allowed to watch the episodes and critique them in the negative as you are allowed to critique them in the positive. I can't really say anything either way about this episode as it was on as background while I was doing something else.
                            sure you are allowed to watch stuff you don't enjoy, as brilliant as that is, have at it.
                            BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Working...
                            X