Arthur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthur

Is Arthur a name of any significance or was it just a spontaneous name the writers chose?

'You're a good friend Arthur.'
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/ Save SGA!

It was just a random name to show McKay losing his mind.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Crazynewf View Post
      Is Arthur a name of any significance or was it just a spontaneous name the writers chose?

'You're a good friend Arthur.'
      Arthur Dent was a character in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) who met aliens in his pajamas.
      It is also where the reference to "42" came from (see Doppelganger)
      sigpicGadget

Comment

Most people assume it was a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, while some assume to believe it was just McKay messing with Sheppard. Either one works.
        They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
        Spoiler:
        Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

IIRC "You're a good friend, Arthur" is a line from the movie "Bang the Drum Slowly". Catcher Bruce Pearson (Robert DeNiro), who is dying of Hodgkin's Disease, says it to his friend and pitcher Henry Wiggen (Michael Moriarity). Henry is nicknamed "Author" by his teammates because he wrote a book but Bruce, who is "plumb dumb" in the words of his manager, mistakenly always calls him "Arthur". One of DeNiro's first roles and one of my favorite sports movies from childhood (almost as tough to watch as "Brian's Song").

Comment

Originally posted by jnlcubed View Post
            IIRC "You're a good friend, Arthur" is a line from the movie "Bang the Drum Slowly". Catcher Bruce Pearson (Robert DeNiro), who is dying of Hodgkin's Disease, says it to his friend and pitcher Henry Wiggen (Michael Moriarity). Henry is nicknamed "Author" by his teammates because he wrote a book but Bruce, who is "plumb dumb" in the words of his manager, mistakenly always calls him "Arthur". One of DeNiro's first roles and one of my favorite sports movies from childhood (almost as tough to watch as "Brian's Song").
            This is an interesting piece of trivia.

The two movies are certainly very similar. I wonder if this was deliberate reference by the writers or a coincidence.

BTW - I find it tough to watch "Brian's Song" too.

Comment

I always thought he called John Arthur because he forgot Madison's name earlier and was being silly by calling him Arthur.... like he forgot John's name!
              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

It made me think of the movie "Arthur" - when Hobson said "You're a good son, Arthur".

Regardless of the source or intent - it made me laugh, and I'm sure that was the goal ????

Imagine how less disturbed people would be in the world if they looked for the humor and laughter instead of some nefarious, hidden meaning... ????

Comment

Working...
                X